Thread: DM 724 Moose Permit - Chatanika

Default DM 724 Moose Permit - Chatanika

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone out there knows if it is mostly a 4 wheeler area for cow moose in October, or if there are some areas you can walk to and get away from the 4 wheelers and have a reasonable chance. I've been in the area quite a few times, but not for ten years or so. I would prefer to walk in, but I'm pretty flexible too. Any info would be great and please pm me if you don't want anything posted. Thanks!

I would maybe try to borrow a canoe?

I drew this tag before and did an unsuccessful float hunt. Good floating & fishing, not so good hunting. Too close to the river...there do look like there are a some trails though, just from the F&G map...maybe someone can send a PM and give him a better idea of how to hunt it. It's not like he's going to be out there competing for a bull with everyone else...

dm722.pdf

Which one is 724? If that is the middle section, a boat would be just the thing. Larry Bartlett says it takes about three days to float it without stopping to hunt and stuff, so it seems like getting out and looking in the bushes along the way would surely turn up a cow moose. It's Alaska, after all. If it's the lower section, you could theoretically float all the way down to Minto, but most of the trip would be through an area that you couldn't hunt in. Pike fishing should be good down there though, especially in a canoe. If it's the upper section, I'm s-outta ideas.

You could still duck hunt as you paddled and sweated your way through the mosquitoes on the way to Minto.. but I think the boundary for the lower chat hunt ends at the Minto management area boundary.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Which one is 724? If that is the middle section, a boat would be just the thing. Larry Bartlett says it takes about three days to float it without stopping to hunt and stuff, so it seems like getting out and looking in the bushes along the way would surely turn up a cow moose. It's Alaska, after all. If it's the lower section, you could theoretically float all the way down to Minto, but most of the trip would be through an area that you couldn't hunt in. Pike fishing should be good down there though, especially in a canoe. If it's the upper section, I'm s-outta ideas.

You could still duck hunt as you paddled and sweated your way through the mosquitoes on the way to Minto.. but I think the boundary for the lower chat hunt ends at the Minto management area boundary.
    His section is the area between the Steese Bridge and the Elliot Bridge, more or less...it's in the pdf I attached to the my last post.