Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lake fishing help/tips

Default lake fishing help/tips

brought the 5wt down to the lake near where i live and found out that i am really bad at lake fly fishing. haha. couldn't get the light flies out there very far and the big ones wouldn't sink. any tips/suggestions? or does practice do it? im guessing using split shots, but correct me if im wrong. thanks

Don't know much about fly fishin',, but I troll with a fly pole and reel and do extremly well if you're intrested in hearing bout that.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    brought the 5wt down to the lake near where i live and found out that i am really bad at lake fly fishing. haha. couldn't get the light flies out there very far and the big ones wouldn't sink. any tips/suggestions? or does practice do it? im guessing using split shots, but correct me if im wrong. thanks
    Do you know how to use a fly rod? Not trying to be a smart ***, but not knowing how to cast is about the only reason I thought of for not being able to use small flies. If you do know how to cast, then you might want to check the weight of the fly line you're using. Leader taper could be a problem - if you're using a piece of straight (light) mono it will be hard to get the fly to turn over.
    Make sure sinking flies are well water soaked before casting them. Hold 'em under the surface & squeeze the air out. Split shot is good too, but can make casting a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Do you know how to use a fly rod? Not trying to be a smart ***, but not knowing how to cast is about the only reason I thought of for not being able to use small flies. If you do know how to cast, then you might want to check the weight of the fly line you're using. Leader taper could be a problem - if you're using a piece of straight (light) mono it will be hard to get the fly to turn over.
    Make sure sinking flies are well water soaked before casting them. Hold 'em under the surface & squeeze the air out. Split shot is good too, but can make casting a pain.
    I'd agree with Gary, and it's not to patronize or offend. If you do know how to fly cast, then disregard, but if you don't, it's not something you would want to just try and figure out on your own. It would really only take a few pointers to make it A LOT easier and get you on your way to getting good at it. I would recommend a fly casting lesson, either from a pro - I think they do clinics all over town - or from a friend that (hopefully) knows how to do it... My hourly rate is measured in beers =), and you have to sign a disclaimer that you won't get angry when I teach you all my bad habits!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I lake fish all the time where I live here in Ca.

A big part of it is using full sink fly lines. Sink tip works as well, but has a different effect on the fly's action.
    I use a wide variety of lines with different sink rates, usually type 2 through type 5.

Just tie on a streamer with a type 2 sink line. Cast out as far as you can and let your line sink, or sight cast to fish that you see, then use short quick strips to get the fly back in. Sometimes they like long, slow strips, sometimes they like short, fast strips. You have to experiment a bit to see what will get them to bite. Another way would be to cast out as far as you can and wait for different intervals of time. This gets your fly to different depths. Count the seconds it takes, then once you start catching fish, take note of how long it took to sink. You can try trolling with the fly too, which works great in a float tube. Also, the color of the fly plays a big role, just as much as the type of fly you're using. Generally speaking, any streamer with lots of action will do well.

thanks for the tips, no offense taken in any of the comments. im still in the process of teaching myself how to do it, which probably is the cause of my problems. i have been using light mono as my tippet, so that could also contribute. i thought i was casting fair this past winter when i was out at willow and down in kenai, so it may be "rust" also haha. i would take up that offer in beers, but im only 20

Well part of your problem is your leader, and I am guessing the other part is your flies. Since it sounds like you don't have any one around to show you how to set it up I am guessing it is a little hard for you. Not saying you can't use straight mono for a leader or any thing but tapperd leaders are a must for dry flies. And are pretty good for most of the rest. The only time you should use regular mono for leader is when your going to weight it down.....split shot or what have you. Hope this helps......

Fishak,
    take your fly reel into Mossy's or World Wid Anglers and as them to get you the correct leader and tippet and ask them to show you how to attach the tippet to the tapered leader. You can also get some advise on flies if you just spend a couple bucks. The tips/advise is worth a whole lot more than the gear you might buy.

If you bring the fly rod in as well they can check to make sure your rod to line is correct. If you are heading out to the valley, 3 Rivers will love to help as well.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Codester View Post
    I lake fish all the time where I live here in Ca.

A big part of it is using full sink fly lines. Sink tip works as well, but has a different effect on the fly's action.
    I use a wide variety of lines with different sink rates, usually type 2 through type 5.

Just tie on a streamer with a type 2 sink line. Cast out as far as you can and let your line sink, or sight cast to fish that you see, then use short quick strips to get the fly back in. Sometimes they like long, slow strips, sometimes they like short, fast strips. You have to experiment a bit to see what will get them to bite. Another way would be to cast out as far as you can and wait for different intervals of time. This gets your fly to different depths. Count the seconds it takes, then once you start catching fish, take note of how long it took to sink. You can try trolling with the fly too, which works great in a float tube. Also, the color of the fly plays a big role, just as much as the type of fly you're using. Generally speaking, any streamer with lots of action will do well.
    fishak, don't go out and buy a full sink line. That is not good advice for about 90% of the fishing you will do.

Like others have said, have someone who really knows what they're doing take a look at your gear and see what's going on.
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

When you turn 21 and can drink beer while you fish, it will get easier. I drink beer, float around lakes in my kayak, and fly fish all the time. Going Saturday in fact. Nothing could be simpler. Perhaps the beer is what you are missing?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Practice will help your casting. However, some commerically tied wet flies sometimes have a hard time sinking until it is totally soaked. The commerically tied flies sometimes has too much material and not enough lead and therefore will not sink at a fast enough rate for effective fishing. The guys at the fly shops are pretty knowledgeable and can help you out. Mossy's, Wordwide Angler, and 3 River.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Fishak,
    take your fly reel into Mossy's or World Wid Anglers and as them to get you the correct leader and tippet and ask them to show you how to attach the tippet to the tapered leader. You can also get some advise on flies if you just spend a couple bucks. The tips/advise is worth a whole lot more than the gear you might buy.

If you bring the fly rod in as well they can check to make sure your rod to line is correct. If you are heading out to the valley, 3 Rivers will love to help as well.

George
    i stopped by 3 rivers everytime i went out this fall to willow, mostly for fly help though. i go to mossys when i can, the guy who runs it is great with advice and is always helpful. i may have to pay him a visit again soon, after pay day that is haha. i know the line is right because he is the one that put it on for me. thanks for the advice everyone, maybe i do just need a few in me

thanks for the advice everyone, maybe i do just need a few in me
    It's fishing, not bowling!

Saying you have to be drinking to be good at fishing is offensive to me Lol... Now I know how bowlers feel.
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Danattherock, will you please give cube01 a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Danattherock, will you please give cube01 a hug.
    Yea, post #9 was pretty condescending.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Yea, post #9 was pretty condescending.
    I can assure you, it was meant to be
    Unless you would all agree that using full sink line is "a big part of" the OP's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Unless you would all agree that using full sink line is "a big part of" the OP's problem.
    Well I have 2 reels with sink line on them and I NEVER use them............it has been my experience the line runs under the fish. So I use floating line and use split shot if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Well I have 2 reels with sink line on them and I NEVER use them............it has been my experience the line runs under the fish. So I use floating line and use split shot if I need to.
    I have one too, and it sits in my reel case doing nothing except for that one time of year when it is necessary.
    Not that I would know how to fish a lake

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    I agree, sink line is NOT his problem at all. Suggesting Codester doesn't know what he's doing because he uses and suggested trying sink line, however, was unnecessary. What works in CA may not work here. What works here may not work in CA.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

thanks for the tips, no offense taken in any of the comments. im still in the process of teaching myself how to do it, which probably is the cause of my problems. i have been using light mono as my tippet, so that could also contribute. i thought i was casting fair this past winter when i was out at willow and down in kenai, so it may be "rust" also haha. i would take up that offer in beers, but im only 20
    Sink tip or full sinking line has its place, but I would agree that floating line is the way to go with you setup. First and foremost - you already have it! If you're going to do any dry fly fishing, you need floating line, but you can use split shot to do most things sinking line does.

I'll consider a rain check for the beers to be cashed in once you've aged a bit. If you want to do some fishing around town, send me a PM. I'd be happy to look at your cast and your gear and methodology, etc. Definitely go get your tippet / leader situation figured out first, though. And like I said, I offer no guarantees that I know what the heck I'm doing (grin).

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast