Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vessel "Validation" Sticker

Default Vessel "Validation" Sticker

So as my family and i were out fishing last weekend, we were inspected by the Troopers. Everything checked out fine, except that my boat doesn't have the right sticker. I believe that it is given by DMV kind of like a registration for a car. But i am also under the impression that if your vessel's name is on the bow and stern, and registered with the USCG, then you don't need the sticker.

For future reference, when AST approaches your vessel without the intention to board, keep them away. They struck my boat TWICE in fairly calm waters. I was more than a little pissed. Good thing the beer hadn't came out yet.

Don't know where you are getting your information from but yes, you have to register your boat with the State. I have never heard of registering your boat with the CG.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If it is a documented vessel it does not need to be registered with the state. It is one or the other.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If your boat is a "Documented Vessel" registered with the USCG, it is exempt from state registration. However, just putting your name on the boat doesn't constitute "documentation". If your boat is, in fact, a documented vessel, then you would probably know it, as you must recertify and renew your paperwork annually with the USCG. (I just mailed off my recertification...)

Here's a link to some FAQs about USCG documented vessels.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp

Here's a link to AK DMV if you're an "undocumented" vessel:

http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/reg/boat.htm

Hope this helps...

It is a documented vessel with the CG. I tried to show the paperwork to the troopers, but was afraid to let them get too close, someone might loose a limb.

Did they give you a ticket?? My boat is in the process of becoming a documented vessel (just waiting for the CG to process the paperwork) so I did a renewal on the state registration until I get the docs. Seems like maybe the Trooper doing the stops needs to read the rules.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

No ticket, more of a "get it fixed."

Did they do any damage to your boat?
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak486 View Post
    It is a documented vessel with the CG. I tried to show the paperwork to the troopers, but was afraid to let them get too close, someone might loose a limb.
    It sounds as though the Troopers were incorrect, as the AK DMV rules exempt documented vessels:

Exempt under State Law from Registration in Alaska:

"...A documented boat. The documentation may be either from the U.S. or a foreign country."

I spoke to a Chief Warrant officer in the Coast Guard about this very thing. He said a documented vessel is exempt from the state sticker. Maybe when I finally get my documents I will print out a copy of the rules for DMV and coast guard and put them in the folder with the docs. That way I can educate anyone who things otherwise.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Just curious about what the Troopers were looking for/at... Is there a sticker that's supposed to be on the documented vessel in lieu of the State sticker? Or is it just a paperwork thing with no sticker? Any other visible markings necessary on the documented vessel?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

How the bleep did they hit your boat? Were you helping "catch" their vessel? Were you making them "side-up" to your boat without you assiting them? Were they being aggressive and acting like you were going to get away? They have a giant foam gunnel around the whole thing, how could this hurt another boat? I have been boarded by the CG before and they were very pleasant, even liked our fish we caught, we took pictures together, it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Just curious about what the Troopers were looking for/at... Is there a sticker that's supposed to be on the documented vessel in lieu of the State sticker? Or is it just a paperwork thing with no sticker? Any other visible markings necessary on the documented vessel?
    There are a few requirements. You have to have the boat name across the back of your boat and you have to have the documentation number permanently engraved or otherwise attached on a bulkhead of your boat. No stickers are needed.

The troopers don't always know all of the rules. Last weekend they asked me for my up to date flares on my 15' zodi.....They were super nice, did not try to board (I was full), didn't even take a look at the paperwork when my wife showed them the shrimping permit in the baggie (I was hand pulling pots), they also didn't ticket me for not having my state registration sticker stuck on the boat (it was in the boat box in a baggie also). I politely mentioned that my boat was not 16' and that although I did have flares, they were not up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    There are a few requirements. You have to have the boat name across the back of your boat and you have to have the documentation number permanently engraved or otherwise attached on a bulkhead of your boat. No stickers are needed.
    Is there actually a state or federal requirement that the vessel name be clearly identified on the back of the boat? If so, can somebody provide a citation to the applicable statute or regulation? When I purchased my boat, the name was only on each side - not the stern. It has remained that way for half a decade, and I haven't received any grief. I was boarded by the Troopers once, and they didn't raise the issue.

The requirement for the vessel name to be on the stern is ONLY for USCG documented vessels. Otherwise on your personal boat you can put the name where ever you want.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Got it. In that case (since most boats aren't documented), I could see the Troopers assuming that a boat was unregistered. And when the owner/operator of a documented vessel is questioned about not being registered, the reply should be "this is a documented vessel, and here are my papers". At that point, the Troopers should be able to do a quick check of the documentation papers and be on their way.

I think the Troopers were acting in error if they recognized the vessel as documented, yet still required the registration sticker. But, if they weren't sure ("I tried to show the paperwork to the troopers, but was afraid to let them get too close"), then the admonition to "get it fixed" may have been a justified warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Exactly, they attempted to run circles around the boat, even though we had pulled lines on one side for them to tie up in they wanted. They were in the foam sided boat, so no damage, but who's to say the bump wouldn't have knocked one of the kids off their feet. I attempted to show them the USCG paperwork, and pointed out the CG Numbers that are stickered according to their rules, they completely ignored it though. ohh well, no harm no foul. Just kinda upset i pulled the lines up for them...i have a feeling that was right when the 200lb'er swam under the boat too

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak486 View Post
    Just kinda upset i pulled the lines up for them
    You're just kidding, right?

AKboater: I believe your information is in error. This information is from the USCG Documentation FAQ. http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#11

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
    The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

My boat is Documented. I have the name on the bow on both the Port and Starboard sides although some folks put the name on the dodger. The Hailing Port is on the stern. The boat is not registered with the State and I do not have a State Registration sticker. I have been boarded by the USCG and questioned by the Troopers. The Troopers just wanted to see out fishing licenses and our catch - no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast