Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting near McNeil overturned

Default Hunting near McNeil overturned

The board of game decided to not allow hunting on state land near McNeil. The ADN posted the story this afternoon, but it's brief and without details. You can read it here.

-Brian

I knew this was going to happen, but my two cents this was a good move. We (hunters came out of this without a black eye. If this hunt went through no telling what could of happen .
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Good

I am an avid bear hunter, but the idea of hunting them so near McNeil was just wrong. Good move today.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Maybe next year.

I agree that it would give hunters a black-eye, but if there is a need to thin out the bear population they could open it up to disabled veterans.

I agree that those of us that are able to hunt should hunt, but not too many people or organizations will complain about a disabled vet getting a bear.

Yep, good move. Too bad it had to come up to begin with.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

glad to see that, BOG made a strong statment with this, saying they aren't just here to help us kill stuff which is what alot of folks think.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink

But how will the game be managed? I hope that under the cover of darkness some bears are are not shot in secret by , pest control people. These type of arguments seem to be going on all over the US. Instead of using sport hunting as a tool, and the money that it provides for game management, the game departments, along with local GOV. keep bending to the will of the anti hunters! Got the problem with geese, and deer in my neck of the woods. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

the bear numbers at mcneil have been on the decline, more than likely dispearsing elsewhere, they won't be out there doing "pest control". its not like the areas is overrun with bears, they just happen to filter in to one spot.
    A tool isn't really needed for the bears in that immediate area. it was a pretty small chunk of land they were talking about in the first place. Some guys i talked to at BOG, the vice pres of FNAWS, said "open it and shoot em all." wow i was no longer impressed with FNAWS decision making ability.
    Master guide 212

Just curious, did you give any testimony with the BOG. And yes, I did.

Default Strategic Victory

The BOG made a good move here. We hunters may have lost a legitimate hunting opportunity but we gained a strategic victory for the sport as a whole. The non-hunting public now has one more reason to see the hunting community as reasonable people just like themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    But how will the game be managed? I hope that under the cover of darkness some bears are are not shot in secret by , pest control people. These type of arguments seem to be going on all over the US. Instead of using sport hunting as a tool, and the money that it provides for game management, the game departments, along with local GOV. keep bending to the will of the anti hunters! Got the problem with geese, and deer in my neck of the woods. Bill
    This is a valid point LongHunter brought up in another McNeil thread. Why do we have boundaries? I personally don't think it wouldn't be worth the bad press to kill 3 bears a year, but what gives? Is that state land now an infamous "buffer zone" like that provided to the Tolkat wolves? I don't consider this as an "anti" victory; Summerville said this was done to force the feds into a land swap.

Just my .o2.

Tim

Thumbs up

Does anyone remember when the last "famous" bear like "Teddy" was killed by a hunter? I haven't seen any publicty relating to a hunter taking any of these "easily identifiable" famous bears. It was most likely in the best interest of Alaska for the BOG to make this decision. We'll just have to watch and see if the BOG has to make any more politically correct decision rather than a bioligical ones further down the road. As far as conservation monies, I know hunters contribute, but do the viewers contribute monies for conservation? Just MY thoughts.

Default Perception is reality. . .

Well, I've kind of hesitated to comment, but here goes. First, I'm 67 years old this year and have hunted and fished all my life.

Back in the early '70s, my wife and I ran Stephan Lake Lodge for a summer, and it was my job to take the "sports" fishing. I carried an old Model 70, re-chambered to .300 Weatherby to protect the customers while they were fishing Prairie Creek for kings. Back in those days, I nursed the notion that I'd like to someday shoot a grizzly.

Until I saw one. Well, I saw one. To this day, it totally escapes me why anyone would want to destroy such magnificence.

Now before all you bear hunters start dumping on me, realize this—that if I who have hunted and fished all my life can't see why anyone would want to kill such a creature, think what the non-hunting and non-fishing population thinks of such activity. Walk softly, y'all. . .

My two-cents worth . . .

I'll comment on your post, Marcus.
    When viewd thru the eyes of someone who looks at hunting, and most likely fishing, as a "sport", I can understand seeing bears as "magnificant". However, if you were to spend time around folks who view wildlife as food, clothing, money, i.e., a means of support, bears are just another species on this planet. I believe Marcus, that were you to have one of those "magnificant" bears break into your smokehouse along the Yukon R. in mid augustand devour, or destroy your summers work of drying and smoking salmon, you might better understand some of the many reasons why some people want to kill bears.
    For eons, humans have held the accomplished "hunters" amongst them as valued members of their group. In many cultures, killing a large dangerous animal represents oneself as an accomplished hunter. That is still true today, and many folks on this forum want to kill bears for the experience, and prowess it may bring. I would have a hard time denying them that experience, biology permitting.
    "Magnificant" animals are part of the reason many folks view hunting as distasteful. It isn't just bears that are regal, moose, elk, caribou, all large game, is just as magnificant to many as the bear is to you. When hunters side with those who view our activities as "wrong" and place ceretain species on a pedestal, it only serves to further the idea that what we do in the field, i.e. KILL magnificant animals, is very wrong.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs down I asked for it and got it. . .

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'll comment on your post, Marcus.
    When viewd thru the eyes of someone who looks at hunting, and most likely fishing, as a "sport", I can understand seeing bears as "magnificant". However, if you were to spend time around folks who view wildlife as food, clothing, money, i.e., a means of support, bears are just another species on this planet. I believe Marcus, that were you to have one of those "magnificant" bears break into your smokehouse along the Yukon R. in mid augustand devour, or destroy your summers work of drying and smoking salmon, you might better understand some of the many reasons why some people want to kill bears.
    For eons, humans have held the accomplished "hunters" amongst them as valued members of their group. In many cultures, killing a large dangerous animal represents oneself as an accomplished hunter. That is still true today, and many folks on this forum want to kill bears for the experience, and prowess it may bring. I would have a hard time denying them that experience, biology permitting.
    "Magnificant" animals are part of the reason many folks view hunting as distasteful. It isn't just bears that are regal, moose, elk, caribou, all large game, is just as magnificant to many as the bear is to you. When hunters side with those who view our activities as "wrong" and place ceretain species on a pedestal, it only serves to further the idea that what we do in the field, i.e. KILL magnificant animals, is very wrong.

Sorry I wasn't plainer, but I've never killed anything—game or fish—that I didn't intend to eat. Moreover, the first bear of whatever color or species that messes with my property or threatens my life is one dead SOB.

All animals are indeed magnificent, and killing them for food or in defense of life and property is far from wrong in my book.

Sorry I wasn't plainer, but now you know why I was hesitant to post. . .

marcus, i used to work for stephan lake lodge as well..spent six years there, same river as you, you must know JB?
    DEDWUF, i was suppose to testify, i was there fri and sat but couldn't make sun, and i was the second to testify sun morning. dang it, i sat thru all saturday night hoping i was gonna make it then the AC guys took forever....so i missed my shot, i went up and talked with the board at the end to let them know someone cared about what i was gonna testify on and gave them my notes, they've got my writen stuff already, was a long wait for nothing.
    Master guide 212

Default Old times. . .

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    marcus, i used to work for stephan lake lodge as well..spent six years there, same river as you, you must know JB?
    DEDWUF, i was suppose to testify, i was there fri and sat but couldn't make sun, and i was the second to testify sun morning. dang it, i sat thru all saturday night hoping i was gonna make it then the AC guys took forever....so i missed my shot, i went up and talked with the board at the end to let them know someone cared about what i was gonna testify on and gave them my notes, they've got my writen stuff already, was a long wait for nothing.
    BRWNBR: I think I'm lost. My wife and I were there in '73, give or take a year or two. Nick Botner, who built the place, owned it at that time. Nick and his wife, Carla, were running a new lodge down on the Tal. I helped build the lodge on the Tal . . . Botner talked my wife and I into running Stephan Lake so he and his wife could stay together on the Tal.

After a summer of fishing, I assistant-guided American "sports" for sheep and caribou.

Good memories. . . with some qualifications. . . . . . like fishing brick-red kings on their redds. . . but I was young and stupid. . .

Nicely stated martentrapper. Your statement captures the essence of why I hunt.

Bailey worked for nick then bought/ ran it for the germans who owned it next. Bailey is trying to sell it right now. can't fish those kings anymore but they are still there, along with the bears and rainbows! no caribou season and the sheep are a tough find, moose are gone too. aint the same place it was ten years ago let alone 30.
    Master guide 212

Default moral dillema

Well this is as good as place as any. I've been having a hard time with something and maybe you guys can help. I am a life long hunter and as Marcus says I hunt to eat. I have killed bears before and still would someday like to hunt the coastal brownies. My problem is my son. I've raised him in my beliefs and we eat what we kill. Then he stumps me, "what about bears dad"
    "Well son, bears kill lots of moose and caribou that we eat, so it helps if we thin them out." But that is not entirely correct, I can say that, but I also know I like the thrill of hunting a dangerous animal. Why do I have this problem. If I have more than enough meat I wont go out and kill a moose just because I can. Why are bears different.
    Any other fathers that have run across this problem. Any advice from any one would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast