Thread: Just spotted a BIG black bear and a mid size on the mountain across from JBER

Default Just spotted a BIG black bear and a mid size on the mountain across from JBER

Just scoping the mountain across from base from my porch and spotted a Big black bear and a mid size black (about 200yds apart) man makes me want to go hiking tonight but its a long way to the top on foot lol.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Which one is in front.....?

the smaller of the 2 is below by about 75ft and about 200 yards to the right

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Before you start hiking you might want to check the hunting areas out real good they are kinda tricky over in that area with some ill defined boundaries.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    the smaller of the 2 is below by about 75ft and about 200 yards to the right
    Don't know where you want this thread to go, But you might start another about the probable relationship.

yah I have a station already set up that will be getting hit any day now.. Ill pass on the hike up the mountain lol

Same thing I'm thinking, Spotted a nice one on the south today, but kept going to the bait and have pics of a hog of a bear, and a brownie that obviously can't read.

NHRAFOX we should meet up sometime to talk strategy. I'm on the elmo side

sounds like a plan Zinker. Would love to talk strats on bringin in the bears! Still trying to find a local reliable area so I dont have to drain a tank of gas 4 times a month just to hunt my site 2 days a week

Same problem here! I hate it, but think the wfe hates it even more.

What bronco trying to say probably want to make sure those bears are not on ft rich... No bear hunting allowed so it would suck to get up there and can't do anything... Also u run into the state park as well back up there different restrictions in the chugiak.

If you are in the new housing behind Bartlet High you are looking at some of the hills on either side of Ship Creek I am guessing. That is all Ft Rich managment area and closed to black bear hunting as 323 mentioned.

There are areas back up in the hills in 14C that are part of the Chugach State Park managment area where you can take one bear until May 31. The rest of 14C also closes on May 31 and reopens on Sept 7.
    There are areas right near Anchorage that you can hike in and spot and stalk bears with out all the driving and baiting. If you bow hunt there are registration tags for Eklutna and Eagle river managment areas.

The various unit 14C management areas shown in the regs are poorly shown on the maps in the reg books.

The more detailed management unit maps are here.
    Anchorage
    Chugach
    Check out the Fort Rich management area too. You will notice that the majority of Ship Creek drainage is outside Ft rich.

Notice on the Chugach map that nearly all of the Peters Creek drainage is part of that management unit. Then consider that there is an establish hiking trail for that drainage with a public trail head. Same for Ship creek. There are places to hunt close to home, and not too far from where you saw those bears.

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    sounds like a plan Zinker. Would love to talk strats on bringin in the bears! Still trying to find a local reliable area so I dont have to drain a tank of gas 4 times a month just to hunt my site 2 days a week
    Note to NhraFox, Zinker has the best (Top secret, super classified) information.