Thread: How High of a hurtle could a Big (Not Fat) Brown bear jump.

Default How High of a hurtle could a Big (Not Fat) Brown bear jump.

Just for conversation I wonder how high of a barrier a big bear could jump. If chased down a eight foot wide alley by men on horseback, I wonder how high could it jump if you stacked bales of straw say five feet high....at the end of the alley....? Six Feet...? Seven feet.....?

Bet he would just blow right through it.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I agree with spoiled one, but if he did scale it I bet he could go much higher than six or seven feet in a hurry!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    I agree with spoiled one, but if he did scale it I bet he could go much higher than six or seven feet in a hurry!
    Off Frazer Lake I have watched them go up rock face that would scare a Mt. Goat, I full expected them to either fall, or turn around, but they made it up and over. OK so we set a sheet of plywood painted black. I wonder how high they could jump over something.

How many men and horses.Not sure the bear would run,maybe stand his ground and say the next move is yours
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I watched a relatively small one (6' or so) jump a 48" tall barb wire fence without hardly trying. Then our beefmaster bull caught sight of him and charged. He went under the fence that time around. Through all of this I'm trying to haul my rifle out from behind my truck seat. The bear then paced back and forth outside the fence while my brother-in-laws quarter horse stallion joined in the fray. I couldn't close the distance fast enough and get a good shot and the bear finally decided that 2 vs. 1 wasn't a good deal for him. Until that day I never realized that cows and horses aren't necessarily afraid of bears and that bears could jump like that.

Funny thing is, the bull figured out he could jump the next year and we had a Hell of a time keeping him in a fence. We finally ended up selling him.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

It would probably depend on his inspiration at the moment, for sure.

I watched one out the Alaska Peninsula a few years back, a youngish boar being chased by a biggun during the rut. They were running along the face of a mud bluff just above the beach, and the little guy turned and jumped, hooked his claws in the sod on top and went on up and over, then the big guy gave up without trying it himself. A couple of hours later I went over and checked, and you could clearly see where his hind feet skittered in the mud up under the sod as he pulled himself over.

I'm 6'4" and have about a 3' reach. Add a couple of more feet from the trigger guard to the end of my barrel, and we're somewhere in the region of 11' I can push the muzzle up in the air. And I could just reach the tracks. I was impressed, but so was the big guy evidently.

A friend was hunting out of a lodge on the pennsulia a few (quite a few) years back. They had 3 or 4 bou hanging in a barn type structure. NOTHING was hanging below 12 feet off the floor. The next morning 3 bou were missing - nothing left but some pieces of rope attached to the rafters. Buddy said there were some large bear tracks in the dirt around/under where the bou were hung.
    So my guess is that they can jump pretty high.

I had a steer ump a 5 foot fence once when a small blackie walked through his pen.

Long ago we had a bear camp in the very back of "Cripple Creek" and we would hunt over into the Big Indian & Little Indian country. We once encountered in the 5" deep fresh spring snow, a set of monster brown bear tracks, and even now I am slightly ashamed to state the truth, that I was scared to go in the direction he was going, scared like in paralized scared.

But that was the direction we had to go, soon we encountered a 3' dia. spruce across the trail with 5" of fresh snow atop. The top of the snow was belly'button height, the bear was walking, and must have reared up a bit to hop over the log, there was not one indication that the even touched the snow on top for the log. I just measured my belly'button it is 44" from the floor. I have only ever seen to sets of bear tracks that big, one on Peaule Bay, the Other near O'Malley Lake.

During my sheep hunt going up the shale we hit a rock face about 5feet straight up with a pretty steep drop behind me (less then a step) My guide made a couple steps and he was and up waiting for me. After I tried to go his route and slipped I started to sweat a little, after finding my way up, I must have looked like spider man sprawled out, and as I opened my eyes after making it up, here was a pile of Grizz sh&t about 2 inches from my noise. After standing up and looking back that scared the sh&t out of me too. Not sure if he was going up or down, but I thought it was funny.

I think you would some of that fence they have in Texas to keep African game in. Speaking of horses and bears I had a recently gelded paint that I used as a watch dog when in bear country. My thought was if a bear was going to mess with camp it was the bears funeral that horse was mean.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author