Thread: O/U Ithaca/Skb stock question

Default O/U Ithaca/Skb stock question

I have a Ithaca/SKB 680. It is an older gun that I have been using for skeet shooting and it fits me to a tee. Not the best because it doesn't have screw in chokes but the improved/mod chokes are OK although a bit of a handicap sometimes.

Anyway the stock seems to be wearing around the receiver as it is showing a definite gap near the bottom on each side. My question is what part of the stock takes the brunt of the recoil? Is it the part that contacts the shank(internal) or is the forward part of the stock that meets the receiver(external) or both?

I have checked the fit of the stock to the shank using putty to see how it compresses and it is pretty snug on the upper surface but not so on the lower, below the bolt hole.

Also, I want to get the stock back in position so it doesn't ruin the stock and am thinking I could epoxy bed the stock on the three pressure points. Does this sound feasible?

First picture has a pen pointing at the gap that is developing. Second picture shows the end of the stock and also the surface that the shank meets.

Thanks for any help
    Mark

You can certainly bed it at the three points you have mentioned. It won't take much bedding compound to do the job. Just be careful not to lock the stock onto the receiver when the bedding compound sets up. It almost looks as though the stock screw may be bent. That can cause the stock to mate with the receiver at an angle, instead of square on. chuck the threads of the screw in a lathe or drill press and see if it rotates on center or "wobbles".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    You can certainly bed it at the three points you have mentioned. It won't take much bedding compound to do the job. Just be careful not to lock the stock onto the receiver when the bedding compound sets up. It almost looks as though the stock screw may be bent. That can cause the stock to mate with the receiver at an angle, instead of square on. chuck the threads of the screw in a lathe or drill press and see if it rotates on center or "wobbles".
    Thanks gunbugs, I have some experience with bedding so I realize not much is needed<grin>! I do know the stock was refininshed and the stock screw may have been bent then. I believe if I use a little epoxy to get it back to original position it might work.

Thanks
    Mark

On old doubles we have found that applying super glue to those areas hardens the wood enough to save it.I'm also going to guess the wood is a bit dry and may well become proud of the metal if sent to Texas for six months
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks Amigo about the tip of the super glue. Not real sure about the 6 months in Texas though???

Thanks
    Mark

Texas has 100% humidity most of the time so stocks don't dry out
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Texas has 100% humidity most of the time so stocks don't dry out
    Oh, that might help. We do dry out in the winter time here but run fairly high, 70% or higher the rest of the year. Thanks