Thread: Marlin model 336 trigger job

Default Marlin model 336 trigger job

considering a trigger job on my Marlin 336, it has a horrible trigger pull. Midway USA has Wild West triggers at a decent price, I already ordered JB Woods' assembly/disassembly book/manual for rifles so that I have good instructions. Do any of you have experience replacing the trigger on a Marlin 336? If so, how difficult was it, what were some obstacles you faced or steps to be careful with and so forth? Thanks in advance for any gouge in this matter.

Just save money and take it to Wild West Guns. The "KID" is the best trigger "Man" in the state.

you are on the right track! i have used 4 wild west triggers in my marlins' and am very happy with them....installation is simple and straight forward. with my rifles the scope had to be removed before pulling the hammer from the top ( with a low mount this was necessary), but after that it is easy. just swap out the parts.

good luck!
    happy trails.
    jh

Default going for it!

Thanks Pinehavensredrocket...where did you get that name anyway...I went ahead and ordered the trigger and will give it a whirl. I'll update this thread when I have it installed and properly tested! My hope is to take some deer this Fall in the thick brush.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    Thanks Pinehavensredrocket...where did you get that name anyway...I went ahead and ordered the trigger and will give it a whirl. I'll update this thread when I have it installed and properly tested! My hope is to take some deer this Fall in the thick brush.
    hi chaps; sorry it took me so long to reply........ PINEHAVENSREDROCKET is my dogs name ( rocky ), which i thought suitable as he is an ardent hunter. he also "proofs" my replys.

the trigger is a great idea, and will make all your shooting more enjoyble and accurate. don't believe your rifle is a "brush gun", it is limited to your shooting ability and conditions of the hunt. although i enjoy hunting close, my last three elk were killed at 248yds,217yds and 200yds. they were one shot kills with my .35 remington guide gun.

p.s. there are books available which will show disassemble/reassembly of your marlin, also a ton of information on the web.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Just save money and take it to Wild West Guns. The "KID" is the best trigger "Man" in the state.
    Is he doing anything additional besides installing the kit? If not, I might try this myself on my 336...fun/easy project...

sometimes you have to adjust the hammer. hammer. not sear. hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    sometimes you have to adjust the hammer. hammer. not sear. hammer
    Long as you're on here, I've wondered if there's a trigger kit for the 1894 Marlin. I have one in 25-20 that's a fine small game gun, but it would be even better with some trigger work.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Long as you're on here, I've wondered if there's a trigger kit for the 1894 Marlin. I have one in 25-20 that's a fine small game gun, but it would be even better with some trigger work.
    yes and maybe even a big loop too

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

not knocking the WW kit, but I have done three trigger jobs myself on my own Marlins, so it sure aint rocket science, and they all came out nice. dont have a "Happy Trigger" to compair then to though, and of course my trigger job doesnt get rid of the flop, but then again mine were free. As far as taking the rifles apart, its really easy once you see it. Just do some googling and you will come up with pictures.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

we used to do trigger jobs.

Good news. The trigger was well worth the purchase. I purchased the book "Firearms Assembly/Disasembly" by J.B. Wood and also purchased the WildWest trigger for my Marlin 336D in .35 Rem. Taking the rifle apart was easy and interesting and replacing the stock trigger with the WildWest trigger was very simple. There is no flop in my Marlin's trigger now. Went to the range with reloads using LeverEvolution Bullets and shot this group! First shot was almost dead center, then adjusted the sope to shoot a little higher and put three shots next to each other. The WW trigger is very crisp when breaking, and it now pulls about 3.1 lbs. My original trigger pulled at about 6lbs and was floppy and didnt break clean like the WW trigger does.
    Attachment 51504Can't wait for hunting season to try it out on game!

chaps; nice going! it is satisfying to work on your guns for simple tuning and repair, and will lead to a better understanding of your firearm.
    happy trails.
    jh