Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PU fish are now legal to share outside of the immediate family, BOF 2011

Default PU fish are now legal to share outside of the immediate family, BOF 2011

This should quell some of the arguements on Personal use compared to sports fishing caught fish. Now I don't have to legally separate my fish in my freezer.

Title 5. Fish and Game
    Chapter 77. Personal Use Fishery
    Article 1. Statewide Provisions

5 AAC 77.001(f) is repealed and readopted to read:
    (F) In this chapter “personal use fishing” has the meaning given in AS 16.05.940.

16.05.940 (25) reads as follows:
    “personal use fishing” means the taking, fishing for, or possession of finfish, shellfish, or other fishery resources, by Alaska residents for personal use and not for sale or barter, with gill or dip net, seine, fish wheel, long line, or other means defined by the Board of Fisheries.

The old definition was as follows:
    5 AAC 77.001 (f) In this chapter, “personal use fishing” means the taking, attempting to take or possession of finfish, shellfish or aquatic plants by an individual for consumption as food or use as bait, by that individual or his immediate family.

At the 2011 Board of Fisheries meeting for Upper Cook Inlet, the issue arose for which definition was to be utilized by law enforcement. The Board decided to use the more expansive definition in 16.05.940 (25), and not limit the definition of personal use to the individual or immediate family.

If you remember correctly, there was an attempt by some to besmirch any such type of sharing of the harvest bounty from personal use fishing – so this small readjustment in the regulations by the Board allows us to “legally” break bread and share salmon with each other. Yea - we can now share with each other and anyone else salmon harvested in the personal use fisheries. It is no longer considered a violation of personal use fishing regulations to break out a jar of smoked salmon and share it with your friends and non-immediate family members.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Al the more reason to call it what it is. Raping a resource. You folks call for higher limits and curtailment of the commercial fishery so you can give fish away? It's not there to benefit Alaskans, it's there so people can give away an Alaskan commodity.

I've been on the fence over the dipnet fishery.

Not any longer.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

"You folks call for higher limits?" Who did? Not anybody I know. "raping a resource"? I call it putting some fish in my freezer for my family. "Curtailment of the Commercial fishery to just to be able to give fish away"? If Alaskans don't eat it where would it go to?
    It is there to benefit Alaskans not just an Alaskan commodity to sell overseas. Hey Hippie, don't break a leg jumping off that fence. I would hate to see you have more anguish over Alaskans putting fish in their freezers.
    FYI, The BOF wanted easier clarification for law enforcement and this it what they did. I'm not sure but I'm not even aware of any proposal that was submitted attempting to do just that. I'm assuming Law enforcement or the Department wanted a housekeeping proposal for clearer language. So if I have my brother come over to visit, I can legally open up a jar of smoked salmon and share a cracker or two. For something like that, I say about time.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

"Personal Use" just went to "Personal Abuse". If your Brother, or Cousin, or 3rd Nephew twice removed, wants some smoked salmon....By all means, BUY some....The money will benefit the smokehouse operator, the fisherman who caught it, and re-invest money in Alaska.

Entitlement. Without credible reasoning.

But hey, some folks stand in line for Welfare checks....Others just use a dipnet....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Hippie
    I have to admit I take offence to your statement. Regrettably with my job I don’t have to opportunity to spend a number of afternoons out fishing, so I dipnet. I also admit I help a single mom to catch some fish for her family. I put up 35-40 fish for my family and help her to get 15-20. Saying that I am raping the resource is flat unsportsmanlike and rude!

The welfare comment is simply inciting a fight.

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Hippie,
    Laws are made to control the lawless. People who are responsible do not waste the resource. Those who are lawless don't care what the regulations are, and will waste fish no matter what.

Your reasoning is not in line with what responsible people do. Because I can legally share what I catch will not cause me to catch any more fish or waste the ones I catch within the legal limits. What it means is that I can help someone if I choose to.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Hippie
    I have to admit I take offence to your statement.
    No worries. I take offense at our resource being given away and money that should spent, and thus re-invested, in Alaska is instead being given away.

Regrettably with my job I don’t have to opportunity to spend a number of afternoons out fishing, so I dipnet.
    As do many folks. And those that do so in order to feed their immediate Family, who reside WITH them, IN Alaska define "Personal Use".

I also admit I help a single mom to catch some fish for her family.
    Has she suffered a debilitating injury that precludes her from harvesting her own food? If not, much like the Proxy System, it rings like....the "W" word that created such indignation....

I put up 35-40 fish for my family
    Excellent. Good for you. No harm there.

and help her to get 15-20.
    Helping is one thing.....Doing it all is....Well.....See "W" reference.

You teach a person to fish, they can provide for themselves....You continually give them a fish and you are creating a sense of entitlement.

Saying that I am raping the resource is flat unsportsmanlike and rude!
    Raping a resource is rude. P.U. dipnetting, by definition isn't a "Sport" it is providing Salmon.....For...Ummm...Personal USE...

The welfare comment is simply inciting a fight.
    No, BOF just institutionalized Welfare via Dipnetting. Apparently others didn't need official sanction as it has been going on prior to the new ruling....

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Hippie,
    Laws are made to control the lawless. People who are responsible do not waste the resource. Those who are lawless don't care what the regulations are, and will waste fish no matter what.
    So instead of enforcing the law, it is altered to cater to the aforementioned lawless element?

Wow.

Hey Hippie, your avatar shows a guy fishing with a rod and reel. Just because I use different equipment does not mean I'm abusing the resource. Or are you just one of those guys that play with their food, ie: C&R? I smoke my own and freeze some, so what? You got a rod, I use a net. With your reasoning, no one should be allowed to smoke salmon, no matter how they catch em. Gotta keep those smoke house operators busy!!! I reinvest hundreds on my trips out both dipping and rodding it. Just ask those people in Kenai or soldotna.
    I'm not looking to change your tune but you are the one whipping up a frenzy with your posts. Just read toddler above, just my nickel too

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    "Personal Use" just went to "Personal Abuse". If your Brother, or Cousin, or 3rd Nephew twice removed, wants some smoked salmon....By all means, BUY some....The money will benefit the smokehouse operator, the fisherman who caught it, and re-invest money in Alaska.
    Oooooh, missed it by that much!!! The money certainly will benefit the smokehouse operator and the fisherman who caught it...both of which almost certainly do not live in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Oooooh, missed it by that much!!! The money certainly will benefit the smokehouse operator and the fisherman who caught it...both of which almost certainly do not live in Alaska.
    Not sure of the circle of folks you run with, but I know a good many Alaskan Fisherman, and can name a like number of Alaskan Smokehouse operators.

So, try again.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Not sure of the circle of folks you run with, but I know a good many Alaskan Fisherman, and can name a like number of Alaskan Smokehouse operators.

So, try again.
    No doubt there are a number of AK based processors...but if you think for one second that the vast majority of OUR salmon are caught and processed by AK residents, you are only kidding yourself. By the way, a very large portion of the workforce in those AK based processors are in fact transients from virtually every point on the globe.
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 05-16-2011 at 16:54. Reason: typo

I wonder what it would cost to set up a mobile fish packaging/shipping trailer out in Kasilof.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I wonder what it would cost to set up a mobile fish packaging/shipping trailer out in Kasilof.
    While your at it, see about getting a seasonal Fed Ex franchise.....There are 4th cousins twice removed drooling globally over this farce of a fishery.

Wow hippie I didn't think you were this much of a troll. I'm sorry to see that was wrong.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

While your at it, see about getting a seasonal Fed Ex franchise.....There are 4th cousins twice removed drooling globally over this farce of a fishery.
    Good call! My folks and all my distant uncles and cousins down in Alabama like their fish fresh!

Wow hippie I didn't think you were this much of a troll. I'm sorry to see that was wrong.
    Because we don't agree I'm a "Troll"?

Interesting.

After almost a decade on this Forum, my cover is blown.

Some folks sure have a deep seated need to pigeonhole those they don't agree with to assuage their own inability to realize that the World ain't always in agreement.....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Good call! My folks and all my distant uncles and cousins down in Alabama like their fish fresh!
    Let's not forget all the Charities and Church groups that can now raise money at their Fish Fry's ... Money in their coffers from donated "Personal Abuse" fish.....

Because we don't agree I'm a "Troll"?

Some folks sure have a deep seated need to pigeonhole those they don't agree with to assuage their own inability to realize that the World ain't always in agreement.....
    No you're not a troll because we disagree. As a matter of fact I have often tried to see things from your perspective to provide a grounding point. I think you are being a TROLL because you are using a lot of inflammatory rhetoric. The picture you are painting right now is that all dip-netters are people with complete disregard for the fishery, which simply is not true. It has nothing to do with assuaging my world perspective.

I just thought such adversarial and and non-productive posts were below you.

Drew

Scott Adams

No you're not a troll because we disagree. As a matter of fact I have often tried to see things from your perspective to provide a grounding point. I think you are being a TROLL because you are using a lot of inflammatory rhetoric. The picture you are painting right now is that all dip-netters are people with complete disregard for the fishery, which simply is not true. It has nothing to do with assuaging my world perspective.

I just thought such adversarial and and non-productive posts were below you.

Drew
    Drew, we have had dipnetters from this very forum brag about sharing their "personal use" fish at poker gathering. Members here have received large boxes of PU fish as "gifts". I'm not trying to paint ALL dipnetters, but when one of the self annointed leaders of the user group feels the need to crow over the fact that a Personal Use Resource is now, by law, given the greenlight to be handed away, virtually at will....

Well....All I can say is I hope that isn't the way you want to be portrayed.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast