Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Cycle Full Face Helmet & Bears & Bear Baiting

Default Motor Cycle Full Face Helmet & Bears & Bear Baiting

I have had 5 close friends mauled, I have had several (Not Close but still) friends mauled. And some have died. On the occasions that I have had to dig out wounded bears, I always had the same thought, "I wish I had a good full face Motorcycle helmet, I wish I had my riding leathers, I wish I had one of those plastic neck braces things, but mostly I wished for some recoil-less weapon that would fire a 16 pound bowling ball at roughly 2,000 FPS.

Now to my point. If I was a bear baiter I think I would have a helmet in my truck to carry in pack till I was with-in say 50 yards of my bait pile, and put that helmet on till I was clear the station was super safe.

A helmet would make using your ears impossible. That would be bad.

"When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Yeah...I don't want to do battle with one, I want to shoot one at 50 yards.
    BK

I wonder if it might make you more succeptible to a broken neck because they could easily gain purchase of the bottom of the helmet with their claws and cause injury without biting.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Ever try to shoot with one on? It's tough. I'd rather be able to shoot and aim well than have my head protected.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I dont know anybody whos been mauled......
    Havent heard of any recent maulings either, maby Im inna void or something, but Ive never had "Bear problems". Close encounters, acouple raids on the fish rack, yes, but nothing like an attack.
    The last guy that was mauled and killed was a New York Laywer who had no weapon, nor his friend up the Noatak, back in the early 90's......they killed the bear later, I guess it was the same Bear, maby to protect other people, maby a mercy shot for the indigestion........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I would work on the 16 lb at 2000 fps without recoil first.
    Then forget about the helmet. Wearing a helmet might rob me of the chance to try it out before he's gnawing on the helmet.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Havent heard of any recent maulings either, maby Im inna void or something, but Ive never had "Bear problems". Close encounters, acouple raids on the fish rack, yes, but nothing like an attack.
    The last guy that was mauled and killed was a New York Laywer who had no weapon, nor his friend up the Noatak, back in the early 90's......they killed the bear later, I guess it was the same Bear, maby to protect other people, maby a mercy shot for the indigestion........
    There was someone mauled in Nome a couple days ago that is now in a coma and not looking too well it was in the paper and there was a link to it on another thread.

But as far as a helmet no way! I have tried shooting with a full face on in the winter I was on my snowmachine and a big black wolf ran out onto the river about 200 yards out. You cant even get close to lined up for a shot. by the time i ripped my helmet off and chucked it the wolf was back in the woods. I would much rather be able to see and shoot than not.

I have had a few where the .458 Winchester Magnum was pushed hard against the bear and when lit'off I rolled one way and they rolled the other way.

Of the close friends who have been mauled and lived, Everyone said the same thing, "Hear a crashing noise, looked around, started to raise firearm, was impacted by bear. Everyone as good of an outdoorsman as I consider myself to be, and one Brent Hudson, I would consider a better outdoorsman than myself. So it can happen quick.

Killed Cappy and he knew the Bear was there.

Havent heard of any recent maulings either,
    Spoke to soon
    http://community.adn.com/?q=adn/node/157040
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I wonder if it might make you more succeptible to a broken neck because they could easily gain purchase of the bottom of the helmet with their claws and cause injury without biting.
    I doubt that I would credit the bear with enough intell to grab the helmet and start pulling, but you never know.

Off the subject some (kind involves a bear) but remined of a incident that happened some 32 years ago while riding my old Ducati on a country rode in Wisc. I was passed on this two lane road by a guy in a big ole gold colored Lincoln, clear day light traffic, slight rise in the road so limited visibility.

I am toolin along enjoying the day a few miles over the speed limit and I see this big Lincoln coming up behind me. Not being in a hurry I figure he will go around as soon as we crest the rise. Well the driver had other thoughts and just simply didnt bother to mover over.....!

He would have ran me over if I handnt moved onto the shoulder, now I could have given it the throttle and pulled away, but I wasnt in a hurry and my the time I realized what he intened to do, he was on me. So once he got by me I did the righteous thing and flipped him the bird.....................So, what does he do but stand on the brakes, the same guy that coulndt be bothered with my prescence now has the time to stop and hassle me........................!

So I pull to a stop well behind the car thats stopped in the middle of the road, the door opens and out steps the flippin HULK, now I was about 150 pounds back then and this guy looks like he could put the hurt on me. So I pull into a driveway on the other side of the road and get off the bike quick. We exchange a few expletives and he proclaims he did what he did because he had a big car and I just had a motorcyle...........!

We square off and he wants me to take off my helmet............I was wearing a old Bell helmet with the real small opening and I figured leaving the helmet on was the only chance I had. A few badly landed punches are thrown, I have my leather jacket on to. Not much came of it but he ended up getting a hold of the bottom edges of the helmet and throwing me in the ditch (how degrading that was), then he jumps in his Lincoln and drives off.

Later in the day, I find out the guy was a ex linebacker for the Bears and a Chicago cop, so there, thats the bear in my story, jeez........ hadnt thought of that in years............LOL
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

There is no doubt that the thrill of the "danger" element in bear hunting mysteriously draws many of us to do it - yet in reality the bear is the superior predator in this situation and we only fool ourselves into believeing we will always be able to control the outcome. Its a funny combination of excitement, and fear, one feels when venturing in after a wounded bear - even a small one for sure...
    Kinda like marriage I reckon?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

maby a mercy shot for the indigestion........

I don't think many caught your sly humor on that one!

Have you ever tried shooting with a full coverage helmet on? Difficult if not imposible to line up.

Try walking around with a Philly two piece neck brace on, lol, you had better hope nothing is coming at you from the side or behind.

A couple of years ago I was launching my boat wearing the brace, and a couple of guys that were duck hunting wanted to have some fun with me, smart-a-s's, lol. ( "what would you do if I told you that you have a lady following you?" " Just don't tell me she's beautiful.", Thing is you can't turn and see.)

The brace is only attached by velcro strips so it would be tore off in a mill-a-secound.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

How about a cup?

Hockey gear?

AGL,

You mentioned Brent Hudson being a close friend and being mauled:
    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now
    Of the close friends who have been mauled and lived, Everyone said the same thing, "Hear a crashing noise, looked around, started to raise firearm, was impacted by bear. Everyone as good of an outdoorsman as I consider myself to be, and one Brent Hudson, I would consider a better outdoorsman than myself.
    I recall reading about that maybe ten years ago, but iirc Brent wasn't armed and he ran from a bear that surprised him and it chased him down. Is that right or do I have it wrong?

And regarding this:
    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now
    I have had a few where the .458 Winchester Magnum was pushed hard against the bear and when lit'off I rolled one way and they rolled the other way.

What does that above mean, that you had a few bears attack you and had the .458 pressed against them and killed them?
    They charged after wounding?

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    [
    What does that above mean, that you had a few bears attack you and had the .458 pressed against them and killed them? [/SIZE][/FONT]They charged after wounding?
    Yes, go in to finish off wounded bears, and yes, at the last second step aside while pushing the muzzle against the bear, and firing.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    AGL,

You mentioned Brent Hudson being a close friend and being mauled:

I recall reading about that maybe ten years ago, but iirc Brent wasn't armed and he ran from a bear that surprised him and it chased him down. Is that right or do I have it wrong? They charged after wounding?
    Yes, Brent a long time Professional Hunter was working for a construction company as a Brown Bear Guard on a project in Kodiak. Yes, he error-ed and left his .375 H&H in the co. truck as he went just a few yards off the road to reset-up a barrier. And he unfortunately paid a heavy price.

AGL,

You'd be the only guide I know who regularly (according to this thread) played matador with charging wounded bears by stepping aside at last moment while putting the barrel of your .458 against them and firing.

As far as the Brent Hudson mauling, you'd said that every one of your close friends like Brent who has been mauled said the same thing, "
    Hear a crashing noise, looked around, started to raise firearm, was impacted by bear. Everyone as good of an outdoorsman as I consider myself to be, and one Brent Hudson, I would consider a better outdoorsman than myself."

Yet Brent was unarmed. I just googled the story on him I recalled reading, here's an excerpt from the Anchorage Daily News:
    Hudson, the health and safety officer for Jacob's Engineering, was working as a "bear guard" at an Army Corps of Engineers cleanup site near the east side of Lake Catherine outside the city of Kodiak, troopers said.

The location, about four miles north of the U.S. Coast Guard's Kodiak Air Station, is an old World War II site, Guard spokesman Keith Alholm said.

Besides keeping an eye out for bears, Hudson was looking for silt in the water downstream from the work site, troopers said, and carried no firearm.

Hudson was alone in a wooded area not more than half a mile from other workers on heavy equipment, said Fish and Wildlife Protection Troopers Sgt. Joanna Roop.

"He heard something come up behind him," Roop said. "He thinks the bear was bedded down in the timber and within about 20 feet of where he initially heard him, and the victim tried to run for some dense trees, and the bear came up behind him."

He said the grizzly "ran me down and bowled me over," Roop said.

Hudson curled into a ball on the ground, facedown, with his hands covering his head in the classic play-dead posture sometimes recommended by bear experts. The bear, which he described as a dark boar, rolled him over twice and then ran off, Roop said.

Hudson called for help on his radio and was eventually airlifted to the hospital in a Coast Guard helicopter.

So as it turns out Hudson apparently ran from the bear as well as being unarmed. Not knocking him, maybe he thought he could make it to a tree and get up it before the bear got to him. Tough situation for anyone to be in. Rule of thumb if course is not to run.

Nothing personal, I'm actually in agreement with some of your thoughts on hunting, but I'm real skeptical of some of your postings here like in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast