Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Mauling outside Nome, Alaska

Default Bear Mauling outside Nome, Alaska

Ouch......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Hoping for a speedy recovery for him.

I know him very well. This is a HORRIBLE incident!! Injuries are HORRIBLE as well (i'll keep it simple and say that significant head injuries from the attack).

Respect the bear. Fight or flight...this once chose fight.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Wes is a great guy. His extended family has had a couple other losses this year, so this is especially hard on them. Prayers all the way around.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thoughts are with the family.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

The story said he was about 70 feet away when the bear went for the charge, how fast is a Grizzly ? seems like the bear was laying down and in front of Wes in just a few seconds, I really hope he makes a full recovery . My head is still spinning at the shear speed of these beasts .

Default fast enough...

apparently this guy had some extremely bad luck. i wish him well and hope all hunters return safe.

of course the daily news attracts the real classy types with their asinine comments below the story. i really wonder what is wrong with these people with some of the comments they post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    The story said he was about 70 feet away when the bear went for the charge, how fast is a Grizzly ?

I would guess he had time for one shot if the firearm was in his hands and ready to use. If it was not at the ready, he would not have time to get off even one shot before the bear was on him.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

alaska dispatch has a better story on the mauling, without the bone head comments....
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...other?page=0,1
    the speed of a bear coming towards you is incredible, i have only dealt with it once.
    they can hit 50mph in a couple strides.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    the speed of a bear coming towards you is incredible, i have only dealt with it once.
    they can hit 50mph in a couple strides.
    I'll second that. Fast is an understatement.

From the link Dave posted, the bear covered 50 feet in 7 strides, from a a prone position.

'Nuff said.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

That is just incredible, its like one always has to have a firearm strapped over there neck to even have a remote chance . I was looking forward to camping/hiking but after reading this, I think I am going to have to go with a few people as opposed to a solo trek . Any update on Wes's condition ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    That is just incredible, its like one always has to have a firearm strapped over there neck to even have a remote chance . I was looking forward to camping/hiking but after reading this, I think I am going to have to go with a few people as opposed to a solo trek . Any update on Wes's condition ?
    Go Camping and Hiking. Enjoy all Alaska has to offer. Be safe, be smart, be prepared.

You have a higher chance of getting killed by a texting teenager driving their folks SUV on your drive to the trailhead, then you do from a bear.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Rumbarr, Keep in mind that there are only one or two maulings a year in Alaska. Compare that to the tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of person days spent in bear country. The likely hood of being mauled is extremely low. Not as good as your chances of loosing the lottery every week, but close.

You should always be prepared to deal with a bear be it pepper spray or lead spray. However, awareness of your environment is more important than either of those.

Also keep in mind that unless the bear defense tool or your choice cannot be in your hand in one second or less you might as well not even bother. That rifle or shotty slung over your shoulder with an empty chamber takes quite a while to get into battery and pointed in the right direction. I have met a lot of folks with bear spray inside their backpacks or strapped on the back of it requiring them to take off the pack to get to it. That won't work out for you if you scare a bear and it decides to let you know it didn't like you scaring it like you did.

Wes is in ICU, and stable. A long road ahead though!

This is an unfortunate incident, but even Wes would tell you he F'd up by being so close. Was measured at 69' from where the bear lay to where the attack occured. Took the bear 8 strides to cover that distance.

Wes did get one shot off....with his camera.

Bear was "shot off" of Wes by a .22lr, and a .223. Not the best of bear medicine. But they worked.

skull measured at 26.5", and supposedly a 9.5' bear. Two other memebers (names withheld) both have filled theirs already, so the bear will become property of the state.

Again, this is a very sad, SAD, event. I know Wes, and he is one of the kindest, caring persons I have ever met. This is a tragedy, however just like the "safe gun practices", this is one even that could and should have been avoided.

Thoughts and prayers (and anyone who knows me, knows I don't pray often) are with Wes and his family!!!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Wish him the best, that is terrible

A friend of mine that got mauled never got a round chambered in his gun. Worse part was the sow had two second year cubs still with her. His brother in-law did a heck of a job getting the three bears off him and luckly the bear didn't know it was only an 30/06
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

He needed Joe Want to be there. Poor guy.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Prayers sent.Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Praying for a quick recovery.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast