Thread: Honda ATV TRX 300

Default Honda ATV TRX 300

I have a 92 300 FWD Honda that has a mechanical issue I need help troubleshooting before buying parts. The coil is clicking when I try to start this thing. I believe it is the coil, it is round & located immediately to the right of the battery. The battery is freshly charged. When I push the start button the coil clicks. how can I test this to see if it is bad? Will the Honda dealer test it for me if I take it to them?
    Thanks

Try jumper cables to see if it starts. The Battery could be bad. if that still does not work pull the starter and have it tested. either the batt, starter, or solenoid.

Hope this helps

Doesn’t that Honda have a kick start? The sound you hear is the starter relay, coil do not make noise. The reason for the clicking is low voltage, cause by bad battery, bad connection, battery put in backwards
    As akpolars said, try jumping the battery first.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Doesn’t that Honda have a kick start? The sound you hear is the starter relay, coil do not make noise. The reason for the clicking is low voltage, cause by bad battery, bad connection, battery put in backwards
    As akpolars said, try jumping the battery first.

rutting moose..... What the heck did I just say? Jackwagon.......LOL

Smile

First thing I would do is put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and make sure your engine turns over by spinning the wheels. I had the teeth chewed up on a starter and it bound the engine up.

MOST IMPORTANTLY MAKE SURE ALL CONNECTIONS ARE TIGHT AND NOT CORRODED. EVEN THE GROUND ON THE ENGINE BLOCK.

You can also take a screwdriver and touch the two terminals on the solenoid. This will bypass it and go straight to the starter, you shouldn't need to hit the start button , the key will have to be on for it to run though. The starter should engage and turn the engine over if the battery is good or just click as said before if its a dead battery.Make sure your not touching anything metal on the screwdriver.

You can also take jumper cables from your car battery and connect the ground to frame or engine and touch positive to positive terminal on the starter. It should engage like normal. This is just verifying the starter is good by giving it power from a known, good source.

Hope this helps

Usually when you hear a click the starter motor brushes need to be replaced. No click usually means a burnt out fuse.