Thread: Iphone 4 as a chartplotter?

Default Iphone 4 as a chartplotter?

Is anyone using the Iphone as a plotter? Which App are you using for Cook Inlet and PWS?
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Is anyone using the Iphone as a plotter? Which App are you using for Cook Inlet and PWS?
    The screen is too small IMO. I work with a guy that uses his iPad. It serves the purpose.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I forgot to add that he is using the Navionics, USA West app.

Does the IPad use cell tower triangulation, or an actual GPS receiver?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Does the IPad use cell tower triangulation, or an actual GPS receiver?
    GPS. AT&T works as well in the sound as the square peg fits in the round hole.

Saltwater and my iPhone has not mixed well in the past, wouldn't it be better to buy a cheap plotter vs an errant wave getting your expensive phone damaged? I have done that in the past I ended up having to buy a replacement phone and a chartplotter.

They make marine lap tops. They are designed to take a pounding while sitting on a table or dash without fritzing out. As far as water proof, generally "resistant", don't swim with it. My thoughts; Buy a plotter made for boats, cheaper in the long run.

Buy an iPad and put it in a clear dry bag. Attach it to one of those RAM thing-a-ma-bobbers and call it good.

Otterbox makes some slick waterproof cases for Ipads and Iphones. If you already have one you might as well use it as a backup. I don't know how the Ipad works but you don't need cell service for the Navionics app and GPS to work on the newer iphones.

I have the Navionics app on my Iphone--purchased when I got the Navionics Platinum for my Raymarine C90w. Its super cool and provides fairly detailed mapping and sat. photo overlays--but would not even entertain using as my primary plotter. I really do not even know if it works after I lose reception. My Ayetides app works regardless of reception, but the NOAA bouy data does not. So I really do not know if its even a viable option--I wouldn't do it either way. Its cool to have and have used out on buddies boats or even when planning a trip, but wouldn't try to navigate by it. Too slow and too small of a picture.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Thanks for the replies. Hap
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

I have been using an ipad with the bad elf gps as a backup to my Raymarine C80. Works very well. The "crew" really likes being able to explore around the next point with it. The pan and zoom is fast with no delay. I always have signal with the plug in external gps.