Thread: GPS dog tracker

Default GPS dog tracker

Anyone have any experience with the Garmin 220 and the DC transmitters for keeping track for their dogs?

George

George,

I have a Garmin 220/DC30 and sometimes use it when I have two of my dogs on the ground. Works pretty well but it's a bit much around a dog's neck when worn along with an e-collar. I must admit how I don't use the Garmin all that often, just now and then. Of my four Brittanys I have one dog - 6 year old Rudy- who will occasionally go on an adventure, and it seems the only time he does so he's not wearing the Garmin.

What else can I tell you about the system?

Regards,

Jim

The Garmin product works really good and is not very difficult to learn to use. However they are like anything else electronic. They can break.

Last March at the Master's All Age Championship in Albany, GA a dog ran off. When the handler turned on the Garmin, it was blank. No signal at all. It took them two full days to find the dog.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I have a beagle mix and am new to training such a headstrong/ADD dog. My labs were a breeze to train in every sense. I am working on keeping the dog on a slack leash now and he will have the run of the island this summer but once I try working him over rabbits I am scared of loosing him for days...

I am also thinking of using the DC30/40 to track my rental boats. They have a small range but the river gets braided and after cerfew I would like an idea of where to start the search.

Thanks for the replies.

George

George,

The Garmin just might work for you. So might a bunch of yard work with Mr. Beagle and a e-collar! Best of luck to both of you.

Jim