Thread: tackle boxes

Default tackle boxes

just went through all my tackle and figured out that i have alot more flies than i originally thought. haha. how do you guys keep your tackle organized? i just put all my flies and lures in one big tackle box. any better ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    just went through all my tackle and figured out that i have alot more flies than i originally thought. haha. how do you guys keep your tackle organized? i just put all my flies and lures in one big tackle box. any better ideas?
    Lures?!?

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Lures?!?
    im slowly but steadily moving away from them and into fly fishing

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    im slowly but steadily moving away from them and into fly fishing

In that case, the tackle box will work for now, but soon you will need an entire room in your house dedicated to it (:-p I'm only half kidding)

I keep everything I use on the water in my vest, including three fly boxes, and the rest is in my fishing/hobby room... 'the rest' includes all the flies I'll probably never use, in spare fly boxes, misc spare items in organizers, and all my tying supplies ready to go (but still highly organized) on the desk... But essentially my vest is my tackle box, to answer your question more succinctly - it's organized and functional.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Lures?!?
    The first time I saw someone fly fishing in alaska they were chucking pixies with a 5 wt.

I have 7-8 fly boxes right now, but I probably need to pick up a couple more. I throw the ones I'm going to be using in a backpack (usually 3-4, depending on the outing). I can't stand wearing a vest.

I'm with Scott here, I have a Man-Purse from Fish Pond. It can be a fanny pack but mine is rigged as a slung bag. I can pull it around front, drop the pallet for flies readly available or get into the many pockets. Carries everything I need, flies, tippet, beads, measure device, fly boxes and more. Swings around back to hike or fish, love it so much I got two, one here and the other on the Kvichak.

George

I used a vest for 40 years, mostly along with a shorty jacket that also had box pockets. I'm no lightweight at 6'4" and 220, but I don't have much out front. Except when wearing the vest and the jacket. Then it looks like I'm waiting for a heart attack, and my arms are too short for lots of chores. Between the two I could carry a total of 10 standard fly boxes, so I always did no matter that I seldom used more than 2.

I experimented with small shoulder bags and carrying fewer boxes, and found heaven. I bought a Pategonia that holds 4 boxes and about all the accessories I need to outfit a troop of boy scouts. Not really in the way, but it was clear I was still carrying more than I ever used.

I couldn't find a smaller shoulder bag I really liked, so I finally made my own from oiled/waxed leather since I'm a long-time leather worker. And I struck pay dirt. It's just big enough for a couple of standard fly boxes and 4 spools of tippet, plus a few odds and ends. I swing it around in back when I don't need it, and I'm not even aware it's there. Talk about the ulitmate man purse. Heck, it even looks like a purse!!!

I sort flies into fly boxes by type and fish species and have dozens at home. But I only carry a couple on my body and half a dozen more in the truck.

Knowing all that, what works best for me is to keep one of those small fly boxes in my coat pocket, the ones about the size of a deck of cards. And it's mostly empty. Before going on the water I decide on the half dozen flies I'd like to try first and move those from my larger boxes into the little one. If I want to try others over the course of the day, I just move a selection from the larger boxes to that little one.

Sounds funny to say that my most important and useful fly box is a little one that's mostly empty. But dang, is it ever handy. Sure simplified my life and eased casting and fish fighting to go from 10 fly boxes pretending to be a beer gut to one little one.

Well I have a giant tackle box that holds all my fly fishing stuff, and I just more or less grab what I want out of it and stuff it in my vest when go, and if I should lose some thing or what not, I can always go back to the truck to get more. But if you fly fish you need a vest, it is like having a swiss army knife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am with KB. Just grab what I need for whatever I am targeting. I use a backpack or patagonia fanny pack as a sling. At home everything is in a couple big boxes and I fill smaller boxes to bring to the river. I keep all my mono and fluro on a bungy and its easy to make leaders as needed. I also make leaders ahead of time and keep them in a little pouch with my sink tip.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I like to keep some miscellaneous stuff in the amber medicine bottles that my cholesterol pills come in as well as a box with most of what I will use. they are durable, see through and semi water resistant
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer