Thread: Bears and garlic?

Default Bears and garlic?

So what's your take on this scenario? I got a buddy who owns a bagel shop. So about a month ago, he gives me about 100 lbs. of bagels leftover from his shop. So I brought them home and stored as much as I could in my empty freezer, since I just about used up all my moose and caribou meat. Anyhow, the only problem is that some of the bagels stink to high heaven of garlic. It got me thinking. Does garlic have a negative affect on bears? My first thought was, I bet these will work great because they smell so strong. But then I started to second guess and I thought. Maybe bears are afraid of garlic. Bottom line is I don't know because I never used garlic on bear bait. I have completely stopped using any meat scraps or grease because of too many Brown bears in the past. But I have never heard anything about garlic. Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not garlic scares away bears?

The only thing I have ever found that repelled animals (Including Bears) is Moth'Balls.

Definition of MOTHBALL
    1: a ball made formerly of camphor but now often of naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene and used to keep moths from clothing

just pour some anise extract on it and it should overwhelm the garlic smell.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Two weeks in a row now we've loaded the barrel with a mix of bagels and breads. Some loaded with garlic and some onion rolls mixed with grease and syrup. Licked clean 2 weeks in a row. I don't think they fear garlic at all.

Quote Originally Posted by homesteader View Post
    Two weeks in a row now we've loaded the barrel with a mix of bagels and breads. Some loaded with garlic and some onion rolls mixed with grease and syrup. Licked clean 2 weeks in a row. I don't think they fear garlic at all.
    Any chance I could request a tub of butter for next week.......?

AGL, I am surprised you did not ask for cream cheese! (

Jack, they'll like the garlic just fine. I've never had them not eat any type of bread product from doughnuts to bagels and beyond.
    ARR

Thanks for the tips fellas. I figured as much, but I thought I'd check first.

Bears wont mind those garlic bagels at all but one things for sure, you will never catch a vampire raiding your bait station!!