Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Holster for Ruger GP100 4"

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    11

    Default Holster for Ruger GP100 4"

    Hello! I am looking for a Holster. I go hiking a lot mostly for photography. So, I am used to carrying weight. I only weigh about 105 lbs. so you can guess I have a small frame. I want a holster that will fit snug to my side and draw with my right hand. Would like for it to have a place for speed loaders too! I want it to look good and function better! Any ideas on what I am looking for? -Thanks Hillary-

  2. #2
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hberge86 View Post
    Hello! I am looking for a Holster. I go hiking a lot mostly for photography. So, I am used to carrying weight. I only weigh about 105 lbs. so you can guess I have a small frame. I want a holster that will fit snug to my side and draw with my right hand. Would like for it to have a place for speed loaders too! I want it to look good and function better! Any ideas on what I am looking for? -Thanks Hillary-
    There are lots of options for you to consider. IMO Galco offers the best value in holsters. Considering your demands perhaps the Fletch comes closest to filling your needs. I'd also recommend a good quality belt and I'd use a separate ammo carrier (though I prefer this style) on the opposite hip to help balance the weight a bit.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    There are lots of options for you to consider. IMO Galco offers the best value in holsters. Considering your demands perhaps the Fletch comes closest to filling your needs. I'd also recommend a good quality belt and I'd use a separate ammo carrier (though I prefer this style) on the opposite hip to help balance the weight a bit.
    Thank You! I like the look of this setup. Do you know of any place in Anchorage that might carry this? I would like to try on first.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Hillary, I have a GP100 4 inch barrel that rides in a Don Hume leather holster. It has no retention strap, but tucks in close to the hip and has good tension to hold the weapon in place. Like has been mentioned, it is hard to beat Galco for quality and value and I second the info on getting a good quality gun belt as that is a big part of securing the holster/weapon. I would suggest going down to Northern Security on the Old Seward Highway, just south of Mountainview Sports on the opposite side of the road. They have a huge selection of holsters, speed loader carriers, belts, ect...ect... and some nice staff that can help you out. You could even bring your unloaded GP100 with you and they would let you try several out before purchasing. From what I've seen, they have one of the best holster selections in town.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    I would suggest going down to Northern Security on the Old Seward Highway, just south of Mountainview Sports on the opposite side of the road. They have a huge selection of holsters, speed loader carriers, belts, ect...ect... and some nice staff that can help you out. You could even bring your unloaded GP100 with you and they would let you try several out before purchasing. From what I've seen, they have one of the best holster selections in town.
    Thanks! I will head that way this coming weekend!!

  6. #6
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hberge86 View Post
    Thank You! I like the look of this setup. Do you know of any place in Anchorage that might carry this? I would like to try on first.
    Wild West Guns carries Galco as do a couple other shops in ANC, though I can't recall their names. I can't say if they stock a Galco for your GP100 but I bet Ken (Wildalaska on this forum) can help you out and you can see the quality, fit and finish of Galco products in general.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Wild West Guns carries Galco as do a couple other shops in ANC, though I can't recall their names. I can't say if they stock a Galco for your GP100 but I bet Ken (Wildalaska on this forum) can help you out and you can see the quality, fit and finish of Galco products in general.
    Thanks again! I have been there a few times. I might make it an all day thing. Try every place I can find. If you come across any other places let me know... I'll add it to my list of stops.

  8. #8

    Default

    Here is how I do my rounds when I need something hard to find.

    Start at Wild West Guns or Sportsmans Warehouse.

    Then go mid-town and hit Northern Security and Mountain View Sports. Right across from each other. Also Ammo Can on Spenard. Cheap factory ammo there.

    Now go east to Gun Traders, and farther east to Great Northern Guns.

    For my money the best in town for guns are WWG and GNG. I like Northern Security for holsters. Best for factory ammo is Ammo Can, and I like Mountain View for reloading supplies.

    I'm not sure who carries Galco exactly(northern security does), but all of these will have holsters and other cool stuff to check out.
    Good luck.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    591

    Default

    I use a Bianchi 7001 with my gp100. Light weight, good gun protection. Rides high. I,ve got almost as much money in holsters as guns, and this is my favorite.
    Try a bunch and see what you like.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Here is how I do my rounds when I need something hard to find.

    Start at Wild West Guns or Sportsmans Warehouse.

    Then go mid-town and hit Northern Security and Mountain View Sports. Right across from each other. Also Ammo Can on Spenard. Cheap factory ammo there.

    Now go east to Gun Traders, and farther east to Great Northern Guns.

    For my money the best in town for guns are WWG and GNG. I like Northern Security for holsters. Best for factory ammo is Ammo Can, and I like Mountain View for reloading supplies.

    I'm not sure who carries Galco exactly(northern security does), but all of these will have holsters and other cool stuff to check out.
    Good luck.
    Thank you! I have add these places to my list. I think I have been to most of them. I didn't own a gun at the time so I was not actually looking for anything. Guess this time I will pay attention. Thank you this helps a lot!

    I have noticed though in some cases Sportmans Warehouse is cheaper than Mountain View when it comes to reloading. BUT Mountain View will order supplies if you need them. I was going to order a 4 piece die set from Lee from them but, it would have cost less to order and ship myself. Sportsmans Warehouse does not have it. I guess I can bring this question over to the reloading forum.

    Thanks again -Hillary-

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Try a bunch and see what you like.
    I am at that point where that is all I can do now! Lol. Thanks for the info on your holster! I will try to find one in town to try on. -Hillary-

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Wear pants and belt as you will be when you carry the GP-100. I cannot emphasize enough the comfort and security that a good gun belt brings to the carrying of a handgun. The belt should fit the loops on your pants, and match the slots on the holster fairly closely. If you are using a single thin piece of 1" belt to support a GP-100 in a holster with 1.75" belt slots, you will be frustrated, uncomfortable, and will come to dislike carrying your handgun.

    You may have thought through all of this, but before dismissing other positions to carry your GP-100 consider also what outer garments and gear you will be wearing on your hikes. Bring the rain jacket, vest, or parka that you will be wearing, and bring your pack you carry your camera gear in (with the camera and gear). Both coats and packs affect how your carry your gun, or if you can even get to it (rain jacket may need to be zipped up) or carry it (pack waist belt may rest over the holster).

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    Wear pants and belt as you will be when you carry the GP-100. I cannot emphasize enough the comfort and security that a good gun belt brings to the carrying of a handgun. The belt should fit the loops on your pants, and match the slots on the holster fairly closely. If you are using a single thin piece of 1" belt to support a GP-100 in a holster with 1.75" belt slots, you will be frustrated, uncomfortable, and will come to dislike carrying your handgun.

    You may have thought through all of this, but before dismissing other positions to carry your GP-100 consider also what outer garments and gear you will be wearing on your hikes. Bring the rain jacket, vest, or parka that you will be wearing, and bring your pack you carry your camera gear in (with the camera and gear). Both coats and packs affect how your carry your gun, or if you can even get to it (rain jacket may need to be zipped up) or carry it (pack waist belt may rest over the holster).
    Great info! I did not think to bring my camera gear. I will try as many holsters I find for it in ANC. I might end up getting a belt and shoulder holster. That way I have a option based on what I am doing and where I am going. Thanks!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    131

    Default

    You might want to consider starting with a basic Uncle Mike's holster. They are very inexpensive and are pretty sturdy for the money. You can then tote it around and see what you like and don't like, allowing for a more informed decision when you drop more serious dough. THere's no use dumping over a hundred bucks on a really nice Galco or Diamond D holster if you could have found out that you didn't like a particular style for much less.

    Another consideration is whether you plan on carrying a backpack with hip belt. That will mess with a lot of belt carry rigs. THe best options I've found to deal with this is (1) "Alaska Guide" style chest holster or (2) Kifaru gunbearer for a long gun. My wife prefers the Kifaru option by far; chest holsters just aren't that comfortable for her. A long gun on a Kifaru will be very fast to access and can pack much more of a whallop than any handgun. "Tacticool" thigh drop holsters may look neat but suck for walking distances. You may also be able to try "off body carry" or a fanny pack holster or something attached to the hip belt of your pack.

    For reloads you have a few options.
    - Speedloaders. Probably the fastest (if you practice). The HKS and Safariland both work. I worry about their fragility for outdoors activities, though.
    - 2x2x2 Pouch. There are some pouches -- I have one by Safariland -- that put a pair of cartridges next to each other, three in a row. Two cartridges are just right to snag with your fingers when reloading so this allows a fairly rapid reload. The pouch is much slimmer than a big fat speedloader.
    - Speed Strips by Bianchi. These work great for me. You can toss them into any sort of pouch or container. I find they are fastest with only 5 reloads instead of the full 6.
    - Hard plastic case. Probably offers the most protection for rounds but is the slowest to access. Might be ok for camping trips and such.

    Good luck. I have the exact same GP-100 and really like it. It works great for targets, small game hunting, and in a pinch I would feel comfortable enough using a hard cast corbon round on a smaller bear or wolf.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •