Thread: Skeg rapair, hit uncharted rock

Default Skeg rapair, hit uncharted rock

Who does good skeg repair in Anchorage?

I hit an uncharted rock this weekend up Well Passage between Avery River and Golden, above the 10 fathom line; took a big chunk out the the skeg!

Donít ever want to hear that sound again, bam!-pause-bam! Just lucky it only took a small chunk of prop and didnít damage the lower unit other than the skeg; didn't notice any performance change.

Has anyone ever used a Skeggard?
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...zuki_outboards
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Skegguard is highly recommended and it is a do it yourself fix!

works well fixed our outdrive right up with no issues easy to put on and looks good when done

look on the bight side that rock is now charted

Jay,
    Sorry to hear that you found that rock but glad you and the crew are ok. Would you care to share the numbers of that rock if you have them?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I did the same thing a few years back but in the Big Sue with my Jetcraft. I put a Skeggard on it and not only did it look good, it helped me out a few fimes later on when I hit some gravel. The one I had had a little foot on it so to speak and saved my prop. Its alot tougher I think than the original skeg. Real easy to install.

Chico hit the nail on the head. I used one as well on my old motor after I knocked a chunk out of the leading lower corner of my skeg. This was on an Alpha I outdrive and about the size of a silver dollar. Worked great. Then about a year or so later I left the lower unit down on my trip home, about 45 miles of it grinding down on the pavement. Didn't do a thing to the lower unit but ground the Skeggard down until you could see the skeg. Saved my butt big time. I think they are well worth it if you damage your skeg.

Potbuilder also had a important question. Happen to have any coordinates on the rock you hit? Glad to hear the damage was minimal and no one was hurt. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

I just bought and installed a marine-tech/panther skeg guard (from Cabelas) on my 200 Optimax. It looks great. Marine-Tech also has some great customer service...there are 2 bolts that hold it on and one of them wasn't quite long enough. I was afraid they'd want to charge me 8 bucks (plus 10 s+h) for a longer one, but they just threw another in the mail to me, no charge.

Jay,

PM Ebbtide. I saw his boat here in town when he was filling up his tanks a couple of weeks ago. I noticed he had added skeg guards to his motors. They looked high quality and he can give some owner feedback on any issues.

Doug

Thanks for all the feedback, placed an order for a Skeggard last night.

I saved my track so will post the ccoordinates soon; I will be avoiding shallow areas about the 10 fathom line up Wells passage for a bit I think.

That whole area rose on average 6 feet after the 64 quake, and although it is noted on current charts there have been no current surveys.

According to my chart there should have been 10 to 15 feet under my keel in that area..Live and learn. When sót like this happens it tends to make you a better skipper for sure.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

These are the coordinates best I can figure from my track, they should be close enough were youíd give this area a wide birth.
    N60 59.630
    W147 59.388

And a picture of the unfortunate incident, I am concerned with the bolt integrate; a portion of threads are exposed. Thinking I'll install the skeggard and seal up this area with a JB Weld type epoxy.

IMG_3541.jpg

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    These are the coordinates best I can figure from my track, they should be close enough were youíd give this area a wide birth.
    N60 59.630
    W147 59.388

And a picture of the unfortunate incident, I am concerned with the bolt integrate; a portion of threads are exposed. Thinking I'll install the skeggard and seal up this area with a JB Weld type epoxy.

IMG_3541.jpg

Jay
    Ouch. I hope I only have to imagine what that sound must have been like when you hit.

Jay, from the looks of what you have left down there, you probably won't be able to use both of the pre-drilled bolt holes on the skeg guard...you'll likely have to move the aft bolt forward (if I'm looking at your picture correctly).

The mounting instructions that came with the one I bought said something about needing to still have a certain amount of skeg left in order to mount properly, but it looks like you have at least enough to go with an improvised mount. If it works, it's way cheaper than another lower unit.

If you have insurance you might be covered. A friend of mine hit a rock in the Kenai several years ago and the insurance co. covered it.

I had a 40hp Honda with that kind of damage repaired at a welding shop and afterwards you could not tell it was ever damaged.
    Price was in the $350-$400 range. Just in case you need more material to install your guard on, you could get it repaired and then install the guard.

My insurance has a 1K deductable for collisions, so thatís no help.
    Iím going to take the lower unit over to Action Marine to get an estimate on total skeg repair, that my be my best option at this point; taking next weekend off anyways.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Last year we hit a submerged log, insurance bought a new outdrive. It was way more than $1000- damage though.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    N60 59.630
    W147 59.388
    Jay
    Thanks for posting the info Jay. I'll be sure to make a note of it on my charts.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I started a sticky so members can share their discoveries of uncharted rocks, and included breausaw's information.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'm not a fan of stickies in general due to their contribution to overall forum bloat. But this one seems like a pretty good idea. Thanks

Now, if people will actually post those newly discovered and yet uncharted hazards, that remains to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!