Thread: WAlk in Sheep hunt, Are there any worth doing?

Default WAlk in Sheep hunt, Are there any worth doing?

Hi Guys
    I'm looking for some areas that I could possibly walk in and maybe bag a sheep, I know there hard to come buy, but any info would be great. Not looking for your secret spot, but just some area that are accessible of the road system.

Any spots that are ATV accessible as well.

Thank for the help.

There are some that are worth doing, but you're not likely to get any specific tips. The best I can tell you is that you should spend June and July exploring road-accessible mountain areas. ATVs can be useful to start with, but it is highly unlikely that you will find a legal ram from an ATV trail. To be successful with any sort of consistency from the road system you will need to hike farther and higher than the other guys. ATV-accessible sheep areas tend to have many trailers parked at their trailheads days before the season opens. There are pockets of walk-in accessible sheep to be had, but again, you need to get out there and explore. I've had some luck with walk-in sheep hunting, but I'm not counting on the same area to produce year after year. I've already got a 25-mile ridgeline traverse planned out for July in an area that doesn't have an improved trail through it. Maybe I'll find a legal ram in some bowl along my route, but maybe I won't....it'll still be worth the experience, though!

Good luck to you in your explorations!

-Brian

shoot me a pm and i'll get you an excat local on a map, migth not be a sheep there but i've seen them there in the past and it has easy access.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default is it worth it?

Its worth the effort and research, Gunner.

Walkin hunts are available into the Wrangels, White mountains, Healy Creek Drainage, areas along the Parks...Chitina..others too.
    Many options, get out the gazetteer, buddy.

Pic: 2006 walk-in, My son with 110lbs...broomed ram, cape and all.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-25-2008 at 00:14.

Default Great Photo!

Congrats on you two for gutting it out the diy way! That is what hunting should be about! You've got a great trophy and memories for a life time.

Not sure if you bow hunt, but there is some easy access into the Brooks range from the Dalton, after you pass Atigun pass, you will see sheep for sure, but you have to do alot of glassing for the full curls, very accessable and scenic, they key is your desire, you will have to work for it, and being bow only area makes it even better, you will still have to probably spend a couple of nights in the mountains to get to where they are holding up, dall sheep can travel, also be prepared for foul weather, I have seen it snow pretty hard the beginning of August, saw a few Grizz too, (smaller ones) I call them mountain grizzlies (not sure if there is such a thing) but I would never imagine they would be that high. Don't mind the tourists, they are always curious and love to see the game animals you bag up north there. They will always pull over and ask questions, take pictures etc, but they mean no harm, you should think about this one, its a fun hunt !!!!...K

Talking nobody is supposed to know about the bow hunt

sssshhhh!!!!
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

OOPS, Sorry Gunner1, disregard, it's really not a good hunt, you probably don't want to drive all that way anyway...K

AKres, I was just trying to give back... some people have helped me out with some good info. for my Draw Goat hunt I am going to partake this season..sorry, won't happen again...K

Gotta remember any time you give someone advice on where to go on this forum theres lots more set of eyes reading it than just two. Hurts both the area and the guy you might be giving advice to. Pm's are awesome for providing someone with specific info if you want to help them.

Default Yup

+1 times 10.

Default Please!

Be careful, guys spend a long time researching areas by pouring over maps and contacting resources and ultimately scouting the hills with their precious time off work for someone to hand it out to the first guy who asks for it on the web.
    Maps, Harvest reports, biologists and boot leather.....
    Good Luck!