Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 magnum Rossi 92 for bear protection ??

Default 44 magnum Rossi 92 for bear protection ??

Don't live in AK yet, but hopefully one day soon.

I am going to pick up a rossi 16" bbl 44 magnum for hunting hogs down here, mostly
    because it has light recoil and is very light, like 5.5#.

I used to own a 44 magnum ruger rifle and you can really rip off a lot of rounds PDQ. It would not group so I sold it.

Was also thinking about maybe a Puma 454 casull but thought the 44 mag might be better for my purpose now.

That said that would not really be a hunting rifle for bear in AK.

For a proper bear rifle I will either end up will set up a Savage 375 ruger, 416 taylor or a 458 WM. I had a Savage set up as a 375 ruger and a 458 WM a while back and actually like both cartridges leaning towards the 375 ruger. That or I could pick up a 45-70.

Also have a 44 mag taurus tracker that I like a lot.

The 44 will be fine for bear with right ammo but if you get a 454 Puma you can hog hunt with 45 Colt loaded at 44mag levels like Buffalo Bore. Then with 454 in it you get power close to a 45-70, 45-70 will feed heavier bullets and has a tad more speed in same weight but 454 from a rifle is in the 45-70 ballpark.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

For bear protection you need to also consider a large caliber handgun - there are just too many times when you are hiking or fishing that a rifle or shotgun is impractical to carry. A rifle or shotgun leaning again a tree or rock 10 ft. away or back in the truck isn't much good when you need it in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Don't live in AK yet, but hopefully one day soon.

I am going to pick up a rossi 16" bbl 44 magnum for hunting hogs down here, mostly
    because it has light recoil and is very light, like 5.5#.

I used to own a 44 magnum ruger rifle and you can really rip off a lot of rounds PDQ. It would not group so I sold it.

Was also thinking about maybe a Puma 454 casull but thought the 44 mag might be better for my purpose now.

That said that would not really be a hunting rifle for bear in AK.

For a proper bear rifle I will either end up will set up a Savage 375 ruger, 416 taylor or a 458 WM. I had a Savage set up as a 375 ruger and a 458 WM a while back and actually like both cartridges leaning towards the 375 ruger. That or I could pick up a 45-70.

Also have a 44 mag taurus tracker that I like a lot.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The 44 will be fine for bear with right ammo but if you get a 454 Puma you can hog hunt with 45 Colt loaded at 44mag levels like Buffalo Bore. Then with 454 in it you get power close to a 45-70, 45-70 will feed heavier bullets and has a tad more speed in same weight but 454 from a rifle is in the 45-70 ballpark.
    I'd say that's a pretty good comparison ADFields. Particularly in my 45/70 as I keep the 405 grain bullets in the 1500 fps range. They are much more comfortable to shoot and penetration is not an issue...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Already have a 44 magnum pistol.
    Almost bought a 454 Alaskan but a 2" barrel 454 made me edgy.
    I like the tracker because it weighs about 2# and its an easy carry.

Previous to that I had a 460V with a 4" bbl, but the **** thing was just too heavy for a waist carry pistol.
    I bought the 460V because where I was hunting there was a 1500# bull lose running around in the woods and he had gone mad, foaming at the mouth and whatnot.

It finally got a hold of our neighbor.

He got out of his truck one day to shoo it away and it charged and got him down on the ground and threw him around a bit.
    He finally made it back to his truck got his 270 and he shot it between the eyes and it just stood there. 2nd shot did it.
    After that I sold the 460V and bought a lighter pistol.

He ruptured a disc in his neck and he had to have surgery but at least he is alive.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Hmm that is true. I am flip flopping back and forth.

At first I thought 44 magnum rifle, 44 pistol.
    That is slightly on the weak side for a really huge dangerous animals,
    so I had decided to switch to a 454 casull pistol and a puma 454 rifle.

I already have 44 mag dies, bullets, dies and some 44 spl brass, so that was a no brainer and
    all I need down here.

When I had my S+W 460V I shot some 454 Casull ammo through it and I did not think it was a big deal, but its a heavy gun.
    I dont know about a 454 Alaskan though with a 2" barrel.
    A 4" barreled pistol would probably be okay but I still prefer the 2# tracker for carry because its light.

Oh well I guess I will figure it out sooner or later.

With good bullets I'd take it over any hangun out there for bear protection including the 500's, not only for the added power of the longer barrel but for the ease of shooting accurately and fast under stress.

Too many guys who push handguns are just blowing smoke down their barrels because they have more experience with keyboards than triggers.

I've got 50 years of experience in fast double action handgunning with 20 of that in competition, and my best with heavy loads is nowhere close to what an average shooter can do with a lever rifle. It's pure physics of guns in recoil and the physical limits of the human body. Take your rifle out shooting with a really good handgunner, and I bet you'll outshoot him right off the bat- both for speed and accuracy. Hitting what you're shooting at counts more than bore.

Now, convenience of carry? The handgun will have it all over the rifle, and you'll have to evaluate the loss of accuracy and speed with a handgun against the very likely potential that you will have laid the rifle down or have it tangled in your pack when you really need it. That's a whole nuther fact of life about carrying bear protection! And it applies to a 375 as much as your current rossi.

I can probably shoot a 454 C rifle as well as a 44 mag rifle.
    Handgun might be a different story.

The taurus tracker is a whippy little ******* it being only 34oz, but I was out shooting with my bro in law the other day.
    He had a 9mm with a green laser sight. I had my 44mag tracker with iron sights.

Not bragging, but at 15 yards I put 4 shots into a nickle size hole.
    I was actually shocked. I was actually shooting tighter groups than my bro in law.

Then again no stress, so....

Default Rifle or pistol

I agree with a rifle over a pistol anytime as far as effectiveness and accuracy - but I'd much rather have pistol on my hip or in a shoulder holster than any rifle that I can't get to in a hurry.

We've all been out in streams fishing when the bear poked its head out of the woods. My pistol is on me while my rifle or shotgun would be back on the bank - they are just too big and clumbsy to carry whle doing a lot of outdoor activites. I've carried fish out of the woods with a pistol in one hand and the fish and rod in the other - too hard to do with a rifle. Taking a rifle eveytime you step off the pavement is just too danged inconvienent.

Truth is I carry my 329 PD a lot simply it is easy to carry - I can drop it my jacket pocket or hip pocket with very little preparation. Odds are much greater I'll have that gun with me when I need it than any carbine or shotgun no matter how light or handy. I even carry it on the coastal trail in town where a rifle would be a bit outta place. Reality is if you have to put on holster you are less likely to carry a handgun.

And with any firearms you need LOTS of practice. It is unusual to see people with pistols that have ever shot them very much. I've put close to a thousand heavy loads thru my 4" .500 to date and I'm still learning about shooting it well.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    With good bullets I'd take it over any hangun out there for bear protection including the 500's, not only for the added power of the longer barrel but for the ease of shooting accurately and fast under stress.

Too many guys who push handguns are just blowing smoke down their barrels because they have more experience with keyboards than triggers.

I've got 50 years of experience in fast double action handgunning with 20 of that in competition, and my best with heavy loads is nowhere close to what an average shooter can do with a lever rifle. It's pure physics of guns in recoil and the physical limits of the human body. Take your rifle out shooting with a really good handgunner, and I bet you'll outshoot him right off the bat- both for speed and accuracy. Hitting what you're shooting at counts more than bore.

Now, convenience of carry? The handgun will have it all over the rifle, and you'll have to evaluate the loss of accuracy and speed with a handgun against the very likely potential that you will have laid the rifle down or have it tangled in your pack when you really need it. That's a whole nuther fact of life about carrying bear protection! And it applies to a 375 as much as your current rossi.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I figger that BB has it figgered out. Down to earth Prudent, Practical, and Workable Solutions for Realistic Situations rather than the Pipe Dreams, we Gun Nuts are so prone to.

Beyond that I figger that 44 Mag. is the most practical choice.

The ammo is plentiful and cheap, as is handloading componets, and loading data, compared to 454. And, with correct loads 44 Mag. is adequate in killing power.

You already have a 44 handgun, so one kind of ammo, for both would simplify things a mite.

A light handy-dandy rifle for bear protection makes a lotta sense. Their are times when carrying a "Bear Gun" is nearly impractical. And, as has been mentioned you should be able to shoot it MUCH more accurately, than your handgun. It should give you quite an edge. You will have one more option. It won't be just an Either Or, the Bear Gun, or the handgun, anymore.

I've packed a 30-30 LA, LOTS of times for those very, considerations.

I'd choose a, longer than 16 inch barrel, myself.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If a 2" bbl Alaskan isn't for you, then why not go RSH or Taurus Raging Bull in 454 to go with a Puma 454 Lever?

Both the Rossi and Puma (I think they are same people) are nice light little levers. Not sure how they would hold up over time with big loads, but nothing to say they would not. I have heard the Puma 454 having forend cracking, but I think they have remedied that.

Anyways, a heavy 44 out of a long gun is a good bear stopper. More effective than 44 out of a handgun and that's what many trust their lives to. You have the Taurus tracker in 44 (which I like as a gun), but beware that the short cylinder will not allow anything above 300Gr or Keith style bullets, so that does restrict you a bit.

Instead of a long gun and a handgun in 44, why not just go halfway and have one of these in a holster!!

http://www.guns.com/rossi-raises-the...e-mcqueen.html

Shot one the other week, what a freaking hoot. Actually managed to get 3 shots (I only fired 3!!) in a 4" circle at 50'.....fired from the hip!! And that 4" circle was the center of the target, not a circle 50' to the left of it

Should add my buddy took a roof light out at the range (lucky I am CRO!!) and then completey missed with the other 2 shots

Steve McQueen.
    Haa. Too short for me.

I want a lever action 44 mag or 454 casull down here for hunting hogs in the brush.
    I have used several rifles for brush/swamp hunting, AR15 50 beo and 458 socom, 44 mag deerfield (semi auto),
    444SS, Several bolt actions.

I was thinking about a 450 bushmaster AR but may end up hunting in Canada too eventually and I dont think AR15's are
    allowed up there, so thus the lever action.

I do know I want something light and short, 16" barrel etc.
    The 44mag would be fine in a rossi or puma, but if a 454 casull I want a puma for the recoil pad.
    The 44mag is 5.5# the 454 casull 6#

I really liked the 44 mag Ruger deerfield I had but it was shooting big groups, like 6" so I dumped it.
    If it would have shot 2" groups I would still own it. It was handy.

I may end up with a 5" barreled 454 raging bull eventually, but then I am back into a heavy gun at 51 oz.
    Still not at the 63 oz level that drove me nuts for carry with the 460 V, but still heavy.

Yeah the short cylinder of the tracker is an issue, but its fine for me now.
    Maybe later a large frame MODEL 444 ULTRALITE with a 4" barrel. Not sure if it can handle heavy loads though.

Maybe the S+W titanium 44 mag with a 4" barrel. I am sure its the highest quality of the bunch.

Now here's a 454 lever!!!!!!!

http://drcfirearmsoutdoors.businessc...r_Action_Rifle

DRC have been off the radr for a while, but are now back. But $2.5K plus is a lot of $$ to drop on a brush gun!!

Nice Rifle.
    Think I will take a 92 knockoff and save 2 grand

The Rossi 92s are very good guns (yes the Puma 454 is made by the same folks) and I have two. One (in 357) I have had since 1984 and it has had no issues over thousands of rounds. I am a Winchester fan but the Rossi 92s are every bit as good maybe better when you consider the modern steel in them. 44 or 454 is up to you, ether will do the job of bear protection just fine. Iíd go 454 because to me it covers more ground, more versatile. With 454 you can run cowboy loads that are like 44 special, Ruger loads that match hot 44mag, then 454 puts you in the 45-70 ballpark. Since you reload ammo price isnít a factor, buy a set of 454 dies (unless you already have a set of 460 dies from when you had a 460V) and youíre in business, .45 caliber components and data are as available as 44 is.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post

I was thinking about a 450 bushmaster AR but may end up hunting in Canada too eventually and I dont think AR15's are
    allowed up there, so thus the lever action.

I do know I want something light and short, 16" barrel etc.
    If you are going to hunt in Canada keep your barrel 18.5" + long.
    Shorter barrel are allowed, but your border crossing is easier with 18.5"+ barrel length.
    Doug
    "The older I get, the better I was."

FYI on the whole Puma Rossi deal.

Apparently Taurus in Miami are the importers now.
    Not sure if they bought Chippia (SP) Legacy or what,
    but it looks like no more Puma 454 rifles for now.

Rossi is still selling 454 blued and SS lever actions, but only with 20" barrels.
    No more 16" barreled 454 casulls.

Rossi has the new 454 Casull listed at 5# even, OUCH.
    Thank god its got a recoil pad.

I called tech and asked if 5# was correct, considering the old guns were 6# and they said yes.
    That works out to about 34# of recoil so its going to be a snappy little Ba$tard if it really weighs 5#.

I'd sure consider the recoil pad option, rather than the crescent butt. I've got a 62 caliber muzzleloader with a crescent butt, launching a 340 grain ball at 1650 fps with the right load. Even at 8 pounds, it's pert near a religious experience every time you touch it off. Drop to 5 pounds, and foot pounds of recoil will move into a whole new region of your brain if you shoulder the rifle wrong.

On the site it states that the 454s come with a recoil pad.

A cresent butt 454 at 5# sounds painful.

The way I read the site, the recoil pad is an option as is magazine feed, while the crescent is standard. I only point it out because I don't think you want to take it for granted that it will have a recoil pad and have it show up with a crescent butt.

And no, I wouldn't expect it to recoil as much as my 62 cal. That one uses 140 grains of 2f Goex black powder to get its speed, lots less than the smokeless in a 454 case, and powder weight is a big component in generating recoil. Still wouldn't want the crescent butt though, even with half the recoil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast