Thread: Anchor Point Calcutta King Derby - The Outcome

Default Anchor Point Calcutta King Derby - The Outcome

**same post as in the saltwater section**

First of all thank you to the Anchor Point Sportsman's Association, the town of Anchor Point and their residents, Anchor Point Inn, and Stan for their hospitality. We had a GREAT time.

Hey Polebender, where was my coffee???lol. You should let me know when you have an extra seat when you are driving. I'd fill it if I didn't have plans even if it was fairly last minute.

So the video pretty much says it all. Could I have done anything more to lose Greta's fish? I don't think so. I can't believe we got the fish. The only consolation is I KNOW that everyone who has netted more than a couple dozen kings has had this happen to them and that off a kayak it's a lot harder than it looks...I think. The plan from here on out is net your own fish. Much easier to lead a fish into your own net than when you are 10 ft away. Frankly could there have been any more pressure. Tournament money on the line and I had bought her boat at the auction, first ever kayak caught fish to be entered in the tournament, Greta's first EVER sport caught king (She commercial fishes) and of course her first ever salmon from a kayak! For her second time ever on a kayak and first time in her newly acquired one, I'd say A+++ for you Greta! Good job!

Part II of the video is a tad long at 14 minutes. But I wanted to show the kayak folks on another forum how fast the kayak can be towed by a 25 pound king. Even the video doesn't do it justice though you can still tell.

So....

Part I: The kayak team and my 14 pound halibut
    http://youtu.be/ONRBoHM_1fg

Part II: Greta's first ever king...and it was from a yak!! 25 pound chromer!
    http://youtu.be/FqCVQSDxOSs

More pictures and details on my blog (see signature).

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default What Can I Say ????????????

Awesome video Rudy

For all you other kayak fishermen out there-----you missed an outstanding oppurtunity to join in on a great derby,a fun time and breaking new ground.
    Even though my wife and I only came away with 5 Irish Lords (her) and 4 Irish Lords (me) this derby was a lot of fun,raised money for the kids of Anchor Point,and was great fellowship with friends new and old.
    Congradulatiions to Rudy and especially Greta for bringing home the bacon.Well done guys.Though Greta's 25 pounder didn't win 1st place---it will always be a winner for her.And as you'll see in kard's video it kicked butt........
    Good net job there kard.When you were telling us about it the whole effect wasn't there.The video tells it like it was.Outstanding for both of you.We have to do this again.And with king fishing just getting started this year there are a lot of options we have to take advantage of.Those of you that want to join in on these up-coming adventures---stay tuned.I guarrentee there are more on the way.

Again--congradulations Rudy for your 1st kayaked halibut and to Greta for her very nice king.Great job.

Wow..
    My wife and I watched the video and it was great.
    Congratulations Greta and Rudy for a job well done.
    This type of activity is going to take off with Video's like this.
    It was amazing how fast she was being towed along.
    It is worth the 14 min ,, it makes it dramatic..
    very fine job on everyones part,, and if you had not caught a flag, a fishing pole,, and then broke a fishing pole in order to get the net out..,, it would not have been as much fun to watch..
    It was just a lot of fun to watch.. my wife was cheering on Greta and cursing Rudy..
    you know the woman vs. man thing..

lots of fun..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

dude! awesome video! There goes Greta!!! haha its amazing how fast she was being towed! Throw out the anchor! Awesome job guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    Wow..
    My wife and I watched the video and it was great.
    Congratulations Greta and Rudy for a job well done.
    This type of activity is going to take off with Video's like this.
    It was amazing how fast she was being towed along.
    It is worth the 14 min ,, it makes it dramatic..
    very fine job on everyones part,, and if you had not caught a flag, a fishing pole,, and then broke a fishing pole in order to get the net out..,, it would not have been as much fun to watch..
    It was just a lot of fun to watch.. my wife was cheering on Greta and cursing Rudy..
    you know the woman vs. man thing..

lots of fun..
    Max
    Glad ya liked it. You can tell your wife...well you can tell her...grrrr...you can tell that wife of yours that...that...that she was probably right about everything she said! What a major bout of craziness. Phones ringing, fish hung up, rods snapping, slow Rudy paddling...HOLY COW!

I have only two statements to make in my defense, and neither I would consider to be a really good excuse or possibility.

1) We got the fish.

2) I chose for the benefit of others to post a video of me really looking "inept" and "incompetent" in hopes that they could avoid an emotionally draining experience like what you witnessed. And of course as this was my only second salmon experience from a yak, both adjectives for me are probably correct for that particular situation. Perhaps to avoid mocking I should have just posted something like "Greta catches fish thanks to super fisherman extraordinaire's superb situational understanding and being one with nature." And then just post a still picture of her with the fish smiling. Nah...what fun is that!!!!

I have been fortunate to catch many fish in my life time. I don't think any fish comes close to the physical AND emotional drain this fish had on me.

What a GREAT time!!!!!!

Rudy that is so cool. Sorry I laughed real hard. that was some funny stuff. This was kind of like the opposite of stand up comedy.
    I look forward to see whats next? Congrats to Greta. You did good! That must have been a great sled ride. It was great to just watch.
    You guys are for sure starting something that will catch on. In a couple years that derby may have its own Kayak category. Your videos have come a long way in a short time. Really fun to watch thanks for sharing.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default It Is Allready In The Making

Power Drifter-the president of the Anchor Point Sportsmans Association ,as well as several members ,were so impressed by our contingence of paddlers that he suggested a seperate division for non-powered boats himself.Paddlers can and should get involved with this derby.It was an absolute blast.Even though it is not as big as the winter king tournament in Homer,I don't think that is a bad thing at all.The thing about the HWKT is that there are prizes for the top 20 fish--in Anchor Point,it's biggest fish wins all (except for boat bets.) Actually,if you are high bidder on your own boat,you could win 75% 0f the entire pot.That could be pretty sweet.....

And they were talking about in 2012.Bring it on............
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 05-15-2011 at 19:24. Reason: next year

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Power Drifter-the president of the Anchor Point Sportsmans Association ,as well as several members ,were so impressed by our contingence of paddlers that he suggested a seperate division for non-powered boats himself.Paddlers can and should get involved with this derby.It was an absolute blast.Even though it is not as big as the winter king tournament in Homer,I don't think that is a bad thing at all.The thing about the HWKT is that there are prizes for the top 20 fish--in Anchor Point,it's biggest fish wins all (except for boat bets.) Actually,if you are high bidder on your own boat,you could win 75% 0f the entire pot.That could be pretty sweet.....

And they were talking about in 2012.Bring it on............
    That'd be pretty cool. My personal opinion is that we should have extra prizes or donations from companies for a kayak or human powered category. But if I catch the biggest overall fish, I'd like the overall title to be accessible as well. I actually told the tournament director that I would prefer they kept the rules as is so that when i won it, it would still have the same weight as before!!! You can dream!

But it would be cool to get more folks motivated if we did have a special prize for non-powered category. Maybe we can get someone or even the association to award some crazy prize like $10,000 for the first non powered boat to win the overall title. I wouldn't think it would cost too much to buy the insurance for a payout like that given the odds.

Nice!

I'm so getting into this for next year!!!!

Charterboat Operator

Rudy / Mark, was nice meeting you guys, and thanks for joining in on our little day of fun! You guys definitly turned some heads and had everyone talking. Mostly those of us in covered boats with heaters, thinking "those silly yakers Have to be FREEZING!" congrats to Greta! that truly was an accomplishment, loved it when she kissed the fish at the scales!
    Thought about the coffee offer, right about the time thermos's were dry! Sorry bud, i owe you one on that!