Thread: 320 gn. Cast performance Loads.

Default 320 gn. Cast performance Loads.

So I got a new pack of 320 gr. .44 bullets and I was wondering what kind of loads others have been using with this. I have some 5744 that I was considering using. Also if it matters I am shooting with a Ruger .44mag Super Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel. This will be a new load for me and I wanted to get a good starting point. Any info helps thanks.

Default H110/w296

H110 or WW296 seems to be the favorite for these heavy bullets in the .44 Mag. I've been shooting the 310+ gr. Lee cast bullets with 18- 20 gr. of H110 in my 629 S&W with good results. Seat the bullets out all far as possible to keep the pressures down with these heavy bullets. Litl'gun is also popular as is the Vihtavuori N110- eithier of those may give you bit more velocity. I've used them both but I havn't chrographed them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan2000ak View Post
    So I got a new pack of 320 gr. .44 bullets and I was wondering what kind of loads others have been using with this. I have some 5744 that I was considering using. Also if it matters I am shooting with a Ruger .44mag Super Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel. This will be a new load for me and I wanted to get a good starting point. Any info helps thanks.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Ryan, my load for the same bullet out of a Ruger Redhawk 7.5 is 21.5gr H110, CCI mag pistol primer, and Starline brass. I have not chrono'd these, but just started about 2 grains less on the powder and increased by .5gr until I found the charge that was most accurate. Don't take my word on this last bit but... If I remember right, max load was maybe 22.5 or 23 grains of H110. This was the load data I got out of the box of bullets 3 or 4 years ago (back before discontinuing for insurance reasons, Cast Performance still gave load data with each box). I have also read several places that Starline brass is preferred for these heavy 44 mag loads for it's strength and quality?? If you have access, Brian Pearce from Handloader Magazine published a very good article with lots of load data on 44 mag +P loads to be used in Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks (article has been in the past 3 years or so). My particular Redhawk really liked 21.5 gr H110 and put all 6 rounds in about 1 1/2" at 25 yards. I also put as heavy of a roll crimp as I could get on the brass and try to only load the +P loads maybe 2 times, then use that brass for more standard 44 mag loads though not sure a guy couldn't get a few more loads out of them. I just figured the heavy loads stressed the brass to the max??

Cast Performance makes good bullets though they can be hard to find up here. I can't tell you how they perform on game other than what I've read as I've only shot paper with mine. Good luck finding your load and I'm betting they will be accurate.

I've used about every brand of brass and the star line works very well. The only real issue I've found with .44 brass was with some PMC stuff that had enlarged primers pockets after a few reloadings but I think I just had a bad lot. On other brans I'll occasionally get a split neck but I have a lot of brass that I cycle through so none of it has been loaded too many times.

I starting shooting and reloading for the .44 with a SBH many years ago. I used to start at maximum published loads and then work up - but I was young and ignorant back then but even at that I never hurt the gun. I've read recently that the SBH and the S&W 29 both come apart at about the same pressure levels -I would have though the SBH was stronger than a S&W. The RHs and SRHs are a different story but they are much heavier and bulkier guns. I carry my S&W quite a bit so the weight and bulk are important to me.

In general I've found the heavier bullets are less punishing that the ligher bullets in magnum guns. The recoil is there but it appears to me to be less sharp - more toward a push that a rap. In my 329 PD I can fire more of the heavier bullets before the recoil becomes uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Ryan, my load for the same bullet out of a Ruger Redhawk 7.5 is 21.5gr H110, CCI mag pistol primer, and Starline brass. I have not chrono'd these, but just started about 2 grains less on the powder and increased by .5gr until I found the charge that was most accurate. Don't take my word on this last bit but... If I remember right, max load was maybe 22.5 or 23 grains of H110. This was the load data I got out of the box of bullets 3 or 4 years ago (back before discontinuing for insurance reasons, Cast Performance still gave load data with each box). I have also read several places that Starline brass is preferred for these heavy 44 mag loads for it's strength and quality?? If you have access, Brian Pearce from Handloader Magazine published a very good article with lots of load data on 44 mag +P loads to be used in Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks (article has been in the past 3 years or so). My particular Redhawk really liked 21.5 gr H110 and put all 6 rounds in about 1 1/2" at 25 yards. I also put as heavy of a roll crimp as I could get on the brass and try to only load the +P loads maybe 2 times, then use that brass for more standard 44 mag loads though not sure a guy couldn't get a few more loads out of them. I just figured the heavy loads stressed the brass to the max??

Cast Performance makes good bullets though they can be hard to find up here. I can't tell you how they perform on game other than what I've read as I've only shot paper with mine. Good luck finding your load and I'm betting they will be accurate.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

About the only problem I have had with the heavy magnum loads in Ruger's or S&W's is that my middle finger knuckle always takes a wack in recoil. After very much shooting, I end up getting a semi-permanent nodule there. I would suspect with investment in some quality aftrmarket grips would help elimenate this but have never broke down and forked over the cash. Need to look at some nice wood Hogue's.

I did think the recoil level for the 320gr loads was quite tolerable though not something I'd want to shoot a bunch of at one setting (I know, call me a whimp!). I had a Blackhawk 4 5/8 inch 45 Colt that seemed much more brutal with 21gr H110 and 335 Cast Perf. It was much lighter than the Redhawk though and different grip design.

Default recoil

I have an orginal Ruger .44 Blackhawk that always seem to do that to me. I don't have an issue with the S&Ws or the heavier Rugers however.

I don't shoot too many of any magnum loads in my 329 PD (24.8 oz unloaded) but I can shoot quite a few through my 6" 629 classic with no discomfort. I use the standard rubber factory grips on all of them although the factory wood grips on the 29s and 629s are O.K. also.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    About the only problem I have had with the heavy magnum loads in Ruger's or S&W's is that my middle finger knuckle always takes a wack in recoil. After very much shooting, I end up getting a semi-permanent nodule there. I would suspect with investment in some quality aftrmarket grips would help elimenate this but have never broke down and forked over the cash. Need to look at some nice wood Hogue's.

I did think the recoil level for the 320gr loads was quite tolerable though not something I'd want to shoot a bunch of at one setting (I know, call me a whimp!). I had a Blackhawk 4 5/8 inch 45 Colt that seemed much more brutal with 21gr H110 and 335 Cast Perf. It was much lighter than the Redhawk though and different grip design.

I'd recomend H-110 lit off with a cci 350 primer, that was the combo I used for a variety of 300, 310, 320 and 330gr cast bullets when I had my super blackhawk. There is published data out there.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.