Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Wedding Anniversary, 1st........

Default 3rd Wedding Anniversary, 1st........

So my wife and I planned to spend a "romantic" 3 day get away the way most on here do, I'd imagine.....a 3 day camping/hiking/biking/half hearted black bear bow hunt. What could be more romantic right guys??

So so by the afternoon on Thursday we were loaded up at the parking lot ready to peddle out:

The ride was pretty uneventful and the weather was simply splendid. Being as my wife was just 7 months post breaking her tibia and fibula I wanted to try a less stressful and not as labor intensive outing to try to get her back in the swing of things....well things never work out that way:

After getting to where we planned to camp we quickly unloaded the bikes, threw up the tent and get camp squared away. Went for a quick 5 mile bike ride that evening to check out some locales and look for black bears which showed never in the way of bears but saw several goats as well as sheep.

So back to camp we went for an evening of Mountain House dinners and boxed Malbec, yes I do know how to put on the charm.

The next morning we fired up the stove in the tent as it was well below freezing. Really the first time using the wood stove in the tent and I gotta say a guy could get used to this kinda cushy camping.

After some oatmeal and coffee we were back on the bikes again stopping every now and again to glass and looking for bears:

At the end of the bike trail we spotted a bear a 1/3 of a mile away and I got excited. But that excitement went away as soon as it came, as soon as I put the binos on it that bear had a little one with it so there would be no chance for me to even attempt to blow my first bow stalk on a black bear.

We hiked about 5 miles or so Friday always keeping in mind not to overtax my wife’s leg and ready to turn around at any time. She was understandably timid over some of the boulder hopping and what not, but picked her way through it none the less. I couldn’t help but smile as I was seeing my best hunting partner and even more importantly getting after it once again after 7 months of recovery.

Again we saw more sheep and mountain goats throughout the day but there were not any black bears to be seen. So it was back to camp for some relaxing in the evening sun, dinner, and more Malbec before turning in.
    The next morning we awoke early only to find we’d been paid a visit from what seemed like an unwanted guest. As I went to go get water out of our water bladder for coffee and oatmeal, I found the bladder empty. A closer look revealed it had a hole in it as well as the couple of other items in our camp were “out of postion.”

While sitting next to the stove sipping some coffee in the tent again I heard something rustling in the distances out past camp.

I grabbed my bow and my wife and I took off to see if our guest was looking to make another visit.

Once in the woods we located the culprit. We were both glad to see it was just a black bear and not a brown one. Soon we were both within bow range, I drew, picked a spot and sent my first arrow at an Alaskan big game animal. He whirled around and several minutes later it was all over.

I have harvested a quite a few different species having grown up in Alaska including a couple grizzlies, but black bears had always eluded me. Being as this was my first real bow kill aside fro whitetails in the lower 48 and my wife was with me to witness it made it all that much sweeter.

Soon we had the bear tagged and bagged. We broke camp and headed out not before stopping a couple times to grab some pics of the beautiful scenary and weather on the way out.

[

All in all it was a great trip with my best hunting partner and friend. Bagging my first bow kill and black bear was a distant 2nd to spending quality time with my wife who is proving her little leg is well on the mend!!! Couldn’t have asked for a better way to spend an anniversary.

Cool!!!!!
    thats some quality time, even without hunting.
    Thats what the wife and I like to do, we are often hunting on our aniveserys.

Thanx for the post.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thanks, great essay, congratulations.

Congrats on your third wedding anniversary--I hope you have at least 50 more!

I must say the bear and scenery was nice, but I especially appreciated the Mountain House meal as you put on your charm...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Sounds like a splendid anniversary, indeed!

Nothing better than a trip like that with your better half!!Good job on connecting with a stick and string!

Congrats to you both, looks like a great trip. Look forward to seeing you both in a week or so, maybe we can get Becca her first bear as well.

Happy Anniversary, how does she like her new pack???

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

haha awesome luke! super cool...man dont' ever have kids those trips will be over!!! geez soakin' in envy right now! lol awesome trip guys, congrats on your bear!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Being best friends makes marriage work.Great time and thanks for shareing and may it last forever.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hey, no fair........you "baited" it with your camp!! Or is that just smart hunting?
    Enjoyed the story. Appears to be a public area with trails. Can you clue us in? And the tent, what kind is it?
    No other folks around? Accessing the hunt grounds by bike is different for most of us. Thanks for the story and great pics.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

What a treat this was over coffee this morning, Luke. Congrats on the first big game with bow, well done. Once a guy finds out about rolled stovepipe he'll never go back to sections either <grin>. Cool setup. Glad Becca is healed up so well, what a way to spend your anniversary. Great pics too as usual. How's the bear meat, any fat on it?

Very nice! Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Awww, Now that's an anniversary to remember

You guys are quite the "Interesting Couple"
    I can imagine Becca, telling the girls,

"So, My Husband, he's Such The Romantic,
    took a Bear down with a bow, to protect our little home in the mtns,....
    bringin' home the bacon, (well, sausage maybe) and all along, kept us so cozy,
    with our very own portable wood stove, so thoughtful......"

He is Such, "the Man of my Dreams"

Congrats, on the Years Together, First,
    and the Bear second, and good time in the Mtns also, Very Cool
    good story and pics also, thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Congrats on 3 yrs. Amazing how fast it goes. It's also good to see Becca is recovering her confidence. That always seems to be the most difficult thing to recover after a major injury. Thanks for the write up and pics.
    Use of product voids warranty.

Congrats to your 1st bow bear & anniv......great write-up also

I admit to some jealousy! Husband and I tried this last year for our 3rd, but we couldn't connect! Congrats!

I already said it, but I'll say it again.
    I am glad that you guys were able to get out and enjoy your time out there together!!
    I am also very happy that she was 'up' for it and able to do it!!
    Lurker.

Man after my own heart. Happy anniversery!! Wonderful pictures and story to boot. Congrats on the success. Glad to see that her leg is doing better and held up.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast