Thread: .270 short mag vs 30-06

Default .270 short mag vs 30-06

.270 wsm vs 30.06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My last post was a mistake, My dad has a .270 short mag (not .280)and a 30-06.
    The ballistics give the .270 more speed and energy out of the gun and at 200 yards. Sounds better to me but is there more to consider?
    Which would be better for caribou (primary target species), and or possibly bear? As a bow hunter I am not too up on the gun world. (probably should be, I used to hunt with guns)
    Thanks for the response last time
    sorry about the repeat question, just trying to learn...

Talking 30-06

30-06!!! Itís been proven a million time over literally. It will kill anything in North America with authority, with the right bullets, best ammo availability over every other cartridge with the most options from varmint to brown bear. Itís the truly do it all caliber.

270wsm is an odd ball and you donít know how long it will survive.

For terminal performance, I don't think you or the caribou could tell the difference in these two calibers. Certainly the '06 is more proven but with good bullets, the WSM will do fine on caribou. The 270 WSM is flatter shooting but in the field and inside 300 yards a shooter will not benefit from that. Either one would do well, I would just use 150-160 grain bullets in the 270 and 180's in the 30-06.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The 270 WSM is supposedly the most accurate of the Short magnums.
    It has about a 300 fps edge over the 30-06 when using a 140 grain factory accu-bind bullet compared to the 30-06 150 grain accu-bond Federal factory load.
    Out to 300 yards they are within ONE inch of eack other trajectory wise. The 270WSM having the edge.
    Past 300 yards the difference opens up. With the 270WSM having about a 10 inch advantage at long range...

BUT, you can walk into any store in Alaska and buy 30-06 ammo. Heck you could probably dig around under my living room couch or truck seats and come up with half a box...

If he was going to lend you a rifle for a Caribou hunt either would do. The 270wsm might make up for a goof in range estimation....Plus they are tack drivers..
    If you are going to buy one or the other as a general all around rifle, the 30-06 would be my choice...

x
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default thanks

You are all saying what I thought, I am going to try to bow hunt. My dad is bringing his rifle. He has to choose which one.
    thanks

Default 223 Rem

Any thing from 223 rem up will kill a Caribou. You will probly be hunting animal on open ground that will just stand their and let you shoot him. Any centerfire rifle in thelungs will do the trick.

DR B

Thumbs up 270 Wsm

Excellent with the 140gr TSX bullet and RL 22 or just the federal factory load with this bullet...........270 Weatherby performace!
    Alaska

The caribou themselves are not the indicator of what caliber to chose, they just happen to reside in areas with large toothy bears, then the heavier bullets thrown by the 30-06 will make a differance. For that reason the Federal 180 Barnes triple shock would be my chocse out of those two. There is however no caribou in the world that when hit well, would know the differance of these calibers; Also Neither has a real range advantage over the other.

Default 270 short mag vs 30-06

I'd go with the 30-06 loaded with Remington Safari Grade, 180 gr Swift A-Frames. One can't find a better bullet and you can't go wrong with the 30-06 for killing caribou.

Here is an intereting article about a test done on different style bullets with a 30 caliber, recommended reading:

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance...ggwinmags.html

You must consider the weather you will be hunting and that might help you decide. Recommend you choose the more reliable action for foul, rainy cold weather.

Hopefully the most reliable action of your available choices is the one you can shoot the most accurately. If not, buy another rifle.

Acurracy, reliability and bullet performance should all be factors in your decision, in this order.

Don't forget on a caribou hunt you'll probably doing lots of walking and a light rifle will be easier to carry.

Accuracy is no one. If one can't hit anything, one can't kill anything
    Reliability is number 2. If your gun seizes up, you can't fire. No fire no kill.
    Bullet performance is number 3, any expanding bullet in the 150 to 180 grain range through the lungs on a caribou is going to kill it. You might as well go with the A-Frame, in case you run into any big boned toothy critters.

Last moose season, I dropped a 1200 lb moose with one A-frame. It made me a believer.

Good Hunting,

KatzMO