Thread: Feeling foolish but need help!

Default Feeling foolish but need help!

I have a Honda 90hp OB, and when I disconnected the battery last fall, I forgot to mark which cable went to the + terminal. Both are black, but one has a white stripe, and I'm thinking that is the positive lead. Am I right?

Yes I will mark my cable ends next time...

Do you have the threded posts on top of the batteries? If so, the positive is 3/8" and the negative is 1/4". My cable ends correspond to this sizing also. Other than that I would pull your cover off the motor and trace the cables. My positive has a red crimp on the motor side.

Hope this helps
    Mark

Don't risk it...Follow the leads and find out which one goes to Ground and which one goes to a starter/solenoid. I am not familiar with the set up, but the advice given on corresponding sized lugs is accurate. But make sure and then follow up with markings, as I am sure you intend.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Good ideas. Someone before me put on replacement cable ferrels that are the same size, but I should be able to tell by looking at the starter motor connections. Thanks.

I zip tie everything that comes off the positive together. I couldn't keep it straight any other way.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

A wiring diagram, but not a schematic diagram, is available in owners manuals which can be downloaded from:
    http://marine.honda.com/Products/modeldetail/BF90EFI

Unless I could get to a local source, I'd call Honda Marine in Georgia: 770-497-6400, Monday. Looks like their hours are 8:30-7:00.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I zip tie everything that comes off the positive together. I couldn't keep it straight any other way.
    I wrap the last couple of inches of the wire with red electrical tape.

As to the original ? Yeah I would just check which wire goes to the starter.

I always take a picture with my Cellphone and then zip tie all the wires that go on the same terminal also. That was after getting caught in the same predictiment your in. I agree, follow the wires. Feeling foolish is better now then later for screwing it up and really feeling foolish. We all do it one time or other. Happy Boating!

Another option of determining the Ground/Negative lead would be to use a Trickle Charger.
    Hook up the negative lead of the Charger to a good Ground surface on the motor. Turn on the charger and strike each terminal end with the Positive lead of the Charger...The one that sparks slightly is the Ground Lead...The Postive Lead would be open until such time the starter/solenoid was energized.
    I would only recommend doing that, if it was difficult to ascertain by visual...like the wires being hidden in a harness covering.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Good ideas. Someone before me put on replacement cable ferrels that are the same size, but I should be able to tell by looking at the starter motor connections. Thanks.
    Black is battery negative, black with the stripe is battery positive, however if some one changed the cables ends at the battery they may have put a new cable in and did it their way. Your correct in your decision to look at the starter solenoid and see if the striped cable is where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Another option of determining the Ground/Negative lead would be to use a Trickle Charger.
    Hook up the negative lead of the Charger to a good Ground surface on the motor. Turn on the charger and strike each terminal end with the Positive lead of the Charger...The one that sparks slightly is the Ground Lead...The Postive Lead would be open until such time the starter/solenoid was energized.
    I would only recommend doing that, if it was difficult to ascertain by visual...like the wires being hidden in a harness covering.
    An even safer way would be to use an Ohm Meter to determine continuity of one of the leads to Ground...would be the negative lead.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

An even safer way would be to use an Ohm Meter to determine continuity of one of the leads to Ground...would be the negative lead.
    Duh, why didn't I think of that. Good one Akres, the best one yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Duh, why didn't I think of that. Good one Akres, the best one yet!!!
    Ha I way over-thought it at first as well...then as I was daydreaming about someone...KISS came to mind. LOL
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Ha I way over-thought it at first as well...then as I was daydreaming about someone...KISS came to mind. LOL
    I can understand the KISS concept but---who was she and where were you kissing her!!!!!! Reps sent although I see you don't need any. Thanks

Mark

Oh crap, can't give you brownie points, must spread them around more!!!!!
    Last edited by markopolo50; 05-15-2011 at 19:52. Reason: can't rep

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    I can understand the KISS concept but---who was she and where were you kissing her!!!!!!

Mark
    I am Pleading the 5th...
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

So anyway....
    I only had to pull the cowling and see that the plain cable led to the ground, while the cable with the white stripe ran to the starter solenoid. Easy as pie, and done deal.

yes the white stripe is the positive ,all double cables will have an identifier on one of the sides and the identifier is allways positive

Unless someone uninstalled/replaced them and put them on backwards.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1