Thread: kepler bradley lakes, what to use?

Default kepler bradley lakes, what to use?

gonna try it out in the morning. Dont have time to drive all the way to the parks flowing waters. what kinda flys you guys have sucess with this time of year and how are you fishing them?? I'm new to this still water stuff but not at all new to fly fishing
    thanks

Nymphs, ESLs, woolie buggers, the medium sized fish aren't that picky.
    I did pretty well Sunday with a purple crystal bugger in size 6 and red copper johns in size 12. I didn't get anything over 20 inches, but quantity has a quality of it's own :-)

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

are you swiming the bugger is just letting it fall. on the nymphs same deal, swiming or falling and you using a strike indicator or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    are you swiming the bugger is just letting it fall. on the nymphs same deal, swiming or falling and you using a strike indicator or anything?
    I was basically letting the nymphs just drift down on a short leader (about 5 ft with a 5x tippet), floating line 3wt, and occasionally nudging them a bit. The strikes were usually in 10 to 20 seconds, so they never hit bottom. I've never tried an indicator. I imagine it would help keeping the nymph off the bottom on a longer leader. Trying to keep an 18" rainbow out of the woodpile is a blast on a 3wt.

The crystal bugger was on a 5wt with a single small split shot. I'd let it sink most of the way down and then strip it back with short irregular strips. They would follow it about half the way back bumping it before striking.

My featherchucking skills aren't worth a hill of beans, but the fish were just as eager to take a fly as the bait people were using nearby.

I'll probably be bobbing around out on Kepler tomorrow if the wind isn't too high.

Guess im a retard cause i got skunked. I fished mostly around down trees along the shore on the kepler side. what the heck am i missing man?

I haven't had time to even get out fishing yet, so what do I know. I would say what your missing is more time on the water. People can tell you exactly where to go and what to use and how to fish it, but really non of that matters. Every day is a new day. What works one day might not the next just get out there and start throwing different flys or what ever style you like to fish best. Time on the water is what it takes.

Today the trout were definitely not being very accomodating. My wife only pulled in two on a nymph and I switched over to dry flies. There was some interest in PBDs, at least enough to get seven. A big one just swam by a few times showing no interest. The people fishing bait at the dock faired a little better.

We ended up getting caught in a water devil. Never seen one on the water before, just dust devils. It put our jon boat right into the brush along the bank. We were shoved 30 ft in about 7 seconds and spun around once. We called it quits after that.

sibir,
    you fishing on the kepler side or the bradly side? not sure what dock your talkin about? I was there super early and didn't see anyone else. I did see a few fish popping on the surface. Are you fising the deeper holes or shallow stuff. I crused around the banks and didnt see anything holding up in the brush along the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    sibir,
    you fishing on the kepler side or the bradly side? not sure what dock your talkin about? I was there super early and didn't see anyone else. I did see a few fish popping on the surface. Are you fising the deeper holes or shallow stuff. I crused around the banks and didnt see anything holding up in the brush along the bank.
    I was on the Kepler side. The lake on the left if you're going down to the private campground. The public boat launch is on Bradley lake and you have to cross under the bridge.

I was there about 10 am just as they opened. My pontoon boat had a bad valve so I rented a boat for the day. The dock (no longer a dock really, it was destroyed years ago) and fishing platform are at the far end of the lake accessible from the state park. It's only around 4-10 ft deep. I often anchor against the floating debris and fish along the edges between the weedbeds and the shore. It was dead in the morning, I only saw two guys in a jon boat with a trolling motor and two people in a drift boat throwing spinners. Noone seemed to have caught anything. The fishing picked up around 3 when my wife and daughter came aboard then died again when the weather started acting up.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I haven't had time to even get out fishing yet, so what do I know. I would say what your missing is more time on the water. People can tell you exactly where to go and what to use and how to fish it, but really non of that matters. Every day is a new day. What works one day might not the next just get out there and start throwing different flys or what ever style you like to fish best. Time on the water is what it takes.
    Always the voice of solid reason 'Drifter.
    I completely agree... I fish the valley lakes all the time, but still have days where everything I think I know doesnt produce... And I can also tell someone what to use and where, but they still won't necessarily catch fish if they have a solid technique... Its an art, and a variable one at that.

You might try scuds in gray, tan or olive. Sometimes a light colored nymph so that the fish see it instead just dark colors. With bead headed flies the fish key in on the bead because they see it. If you have an extra fly rod rig it with a leech type pattern and troll it behind you when you move to another spot. I have hooked into some whoppers that way. Also, I cheat and have an advantage because I use a fish finder on my pontoon raft, so I don't waste time on empty water. Good luck and tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Last year I had great success on mosquito patterns around the end of May in the kepler bradley area.