Thread: What's going on @ your remote cabin today?

Default What's going on @ your remote cabin today?

Today, I am just hanging out, the weather went from 60 degrees and sunny yesterday to, 44 degrees, high winds and light rain today. The wind is out of the South and has blown the ice back in.

JOHN

We had your weather a couple days ago, cept the wind was from the North and it was threatening snow. I kept the wood stove going on low all day!

Today's project is to get the greenhouse cleaned and fixed up. The winds this winter blew out one part of the double walled plastic sides. Shouldn't be a major job, just staple a couple layers of plastic up in there. Then maybe start digging up the beds and get them ready for adding compost and planting. Can't really plant much until after June 1st, but I can get things ready. After that, not sure what else, basket making perhaps? We got more bark and roots yesterday, so now I need to get some willows.

have a good day!
    Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    We had your weather a couple days ago, cept the wind was from the North and it was threatening snow. I kept the wood stove going on low all day!

Today's project is to get the greenhouse cleaned and fixed up. The winds this winter blew out one part of the double walled plastic sides. Shouldn't be a major job, just staple a couple layers of plastic up in there. Then maybe start digging up the beds and get them ready for adding compost and planting. Can't really plant much until after June 1st, but I can get things ready. After that, not sure what else, basket making perhaps? We got more bark and roots yesterday, so now I need to get some willows.

have a good day!
    Lori
    With the wind it makes it a little chilly so, I put a few logs in the woodstove and fired it up. It's a good day to test out my recliner in front of the stove with some hot tea and a good book. Will check in later.
    JOHN

Great looking baskets. How can I purchase some, would make great gifts.

send me Private message and change your settings so I can PM you back.

Or send me your email address...
    Lori

Today is a hot one~ 75, but there is a big NE wind though that makes the heat tolerable. Got some flower planting to get done today and then we are going to do some repair work on the big boat and get it ready to launch. Breakup is pretty much over with no more ice coming down and the river is running high so we are anxious to get out and get on the water. The fish should be running now and here soon. I am really looking forward to that first fish fry!

Hope ya all are having a great day!
    Grandma Lori

The wind was not boat friendly this weekend but early Saturday morning at 7 am I went up to Tustumena and beat the worst of it. Springtime means chores for me around the place. It was wielding the chainsaw clearing up the beach from last falls driftwood that had floated into the bay, some went to firewood some saved for evening campfires on the beach, and taking care of some overdue brushing around the place. I cut up some logs for beaching boats out of the lake, stacking them high on the bank and put in a gravel pathway between the cabin and the place to put the boat on the beach.

I went for a walk up the beach and found bear sign in the sand
    tustumenabear.JPG

and took a photo of the old Andrew Berg cabin. This cabin was built in 1902.
    andrewberg.JPG

Further up on my walk I came to Indian Creek
    indiancreek.JPG
    and the mountains by the Glacier.
    kenaimountains.JPG

Nice pics Tustumena, I will have plenty of cutting wood this summer while I am building my new cabin. I need to have enough wood for next winter. Some people don't find it enjoyable to cut wood and only look at it as a lot of work. At 63, I enjoy cutting wood and do it every chance I get. You can never have enough firewood, I say. Thanks for sharing.
    JOHN

Thanks, John. I agree happiness is a wood pile stacked high before winter hits.

I always like to stop in at the old Andrew Berg place in the photo above. Its been unoccupied for a long time, Andrew passed away in 1939. He was a notable person in the early days of the early American period of Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula. Andrew found his way to Kenai in 1890. He was a Finnish emigrant and made his mark in the last frontier as a superior trapper and big game guide. He is the earliest documented paid guide in Alaska taking his first party out in 1897, a Mr. Dall DeWeese from Colorado. Andrew would spend his fall and winters on Tustumena Lake and then head back to Kenai each spring and summer in his boat with a load of furs.

He built several trapping cabins around the lake but this one was his main home for many years.

Indian Creek has its own history. The early Athabascan Dena'ina had a branch of people that lived on the far end of Tustumena Lake, it is rich in wildlife and salmon and makes perfect sense to me why they came here. There are remains here that date back to the 1600's. Primarily earth depressions from ancient barabara's and fish storage pits. They were known as the "mountain people". I surmise that this is why this place is called by that name. Early USGS map makers had only "locally known" for a name to go by.

Gold miners have tried to make a go of it here in the early 1900's. The Northwest Mining and Development Company had ten people working its claims at one time. They had plans to build a road all the way from Kachemak Bay to Tustumena, but they figured out that there wasn't enough pay to justify it. They ended up moving on to richer grounds.

The remnants of the early gold mining lay on the beach and in the woods...this is an old steam engine used to generate power for a hydraulic mining operation.

steamengine.JPG

But Indian Creek has long been a route to the mountains for hunting and still is today.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Indian Creek has its own history. The early Athabascan Dena'ina had a branch of people that lived on the far end of Tustumena Lake, it is rich in wildlife and salmon and makes perfect sense to me why they came here. There are remains here that date back to the 1600's. Primarily earth depressions from ancient barabara's and fish storage pits. They were known as the "mountain people". I surmise that this is why this place is called by that name. Early USGS map makers had only "locally known" for a name to go by.

Gold miners have tried to make a go of it here in the early 1900's. The Northwest Mining and Development Company had ten people working its claims at one time. They had plans to build a road all the way from Kachemak Bay to Tustumena, but they figured out that there wasn't enough pay to justify it. They ended up moving on to richer grounds.

The remnants of the early gold mining lay on the beach and in the woods...this is an old steam engine used to generate power for a hydraulic mining operation.

steamengine.JPG

But Indian Creek has long been a route to the mountains for hunting and still is today.

Great story, thanks for the lesson.
    JOHN