Thread: when to relocate

Default when to relocate

So, unit 14A baits been out since 15 april and fresh bait has be placed every weekend since and i still havn't been hit. when is it time to pull the plug and move? This is my last chance to kill a blackie before i leave the state for good and the last thing i want is june 30 to hit and me have nothing. I could care less if its a trophy bear or not but i need something

I know my stand gets bears and I haven't had a hit yet. Don't worry.

Give it till the end of the month. If nothing has hit it by then, I'd go set another bait. But it's still pretty early.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I wouldn't move it. They seem to start hitting the bait all at once. If it's baited ... they will hit it. Be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    So, unit 14A baits been out since 15 april and fresh bait has be placed every weekend since and i still havn't been hit. when is it time to pull the plug and move? This is my last chance to kill a blackie before i leave the state for good and the last thing i want is june 30 to hit and me have nothing. I could care less if its a trophy bear or not but i need something
    My old stands in 14A were hit at the earliest on May 16th (by Black bear anyhow, had a Grizz on it April 29th the same year) Give it a little longer.
    -Caleb-

There's a reason bait season was extended from June 15 to June 30 a few years ago. Baits in many areas don't start getting hit hard until the first week of June. I baited in the Palmer area, and hits usually started between May 5-15. I have one in Willow that's getting hit now; the other usually starts getting steady activity around June 1. The earliest bear I've killed has been around May 17, the latest has been June 30. As others have said, hits usually start happening all at once. In short: season is just now kicking off. Like pike said, give it at LEAST till June 1 before you pull the plug.

Until you've been hit, burn Jello, honey, marshmallows or something nice and smelly. Hang a bait ball. Walk all the trails that radiate out from your stand, hanging scent rags in the bushes. Spray down your boots and pants legs with anise oil and vanilla. In short, advertise far and wide that there's an all you can eat buffet nearby, and its open for business!

Yep, be patient, Griffin. It's going to happen for you, bud, unless your bait is on Fire Island, or something! LOL
    Hang in there.

Taylor

thanks guys i'll keep hanging in there!

Griff dont feel bad man my site hasnt been touched really either but its been a strange winter and I have heard alot of other site are not yet getting action. Just be patient and if all else fails.. hang a teddy bear (make sure its black so you dont have the troopers on your case) and take a shot at that lol.. its what I plan on doing if "all else fails"

but just stick it out if you bait it... they will come

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I'm in 14A and I just got back from mine. Although disappointed, I never get hit until around the 23rd! They will come, just be patient...

Time time time and once againe time

I've got to agree with the other guys. Let it soak. Let that smell keep working for you. I'd also think about putting out your second bait elsewhere to give you options. More work to manage 2 sites, but you double the chance to see bears.
    I used to do grease burns every time I went out. Now I depend on my stink bucket that hangs high up in a tree to work for me 24 hours a day, much like a trap and lure works for a trapper. Make sure your site smells strong all the time.
    Good luck,
    ARR

In 2004 my dad and I set up three stations in which the first year we didnt get our first hit tell the 28th of May. It was frustrating because even after our first hit only two bears were killed out of three well kept stations. However, instead of moving the next year we kept the same bait stations and every year sence then it would get earlier and earlier for my first hit. Seven years in one place I now have what i call "Third generation bears" some may disagree with me but i think i have bears before many people because the bears can count on my bait stations every spring to be their. Stick to the spot you have and i promise you hard work will pay off!! Good Luck!!

still nothing,
    I put a bunch more scent out. hopefully soon. how are you guys doing these burns? and what should i be burning out there to try and bring these guys in. I just started one of the stink buckets mentioned above. im already using popcorn and dog food for bait plus 907s black death. what else can i do without spending a fortune.
    Thanks

A cheap one is mix a pot of coolaid and boil it. You just fill and mix when it burns down also try molasses honey both getting spendy. I don't know if you could do maple syrup but that'd smell good. Try hanging some tampons soaked in thesethings also. I used a spray bottle and sprayed the hole area last year with vanilla extract. However since it's 30percent alcohol it seemed to evaporate pretty fast. But then again I wasn't real impressed with burns because they don't smell unless the smoke blows at you they can be messy and a hassle/h***ard

Ya gotta remember one thing fellas........ just cuz we can't smell it, doesn't mean they can't.

We used to never use scent hardly at all when my dad and I baited 16... and we killed bears and had numerous hits. Just COB and molasses and maybe some of that CodeBlue stuff (not recommended) and we always got our bear.

It's still early. Heck, we've got till the end of June, something will happen sooner or later.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.