Thread: Best method for cleaning your binoculars?

Default Best method for cleaning your binoculars?

Hi guys, I would like to know your method for cleaning your binoculars. I got a set of Nikon binoc's that I got last fall before moose season and let's say the Yukon River was not kind to them. I haven't cleaned them yet because I'm scared to death of scratching the lenses. Any tips?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

My wife uses an Ermine skin, says it dosent scratch and gets em good and clean.
    She use 'em for years with a pair of Steiner Predator Pros, and the day some scumbag theif stole them while we were Caribou hunting, and now they service her second pair.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Hi guys, I would like to know your method for cleaning your binoculars. I got a set of Nikon binoc's that I got last fall before moose season and let's say the Yukon River was not kind to them. I haven't cleaned them yet because I'm scared to death of scratching the lenses. Any tips?
    At the prices for good glass nowadays, not touching them was a good move!
    Simple, step-by-step instructions here:
    http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/c...inoculars.html

It helps me to remember that I'm actually cleaning a thin lens coating and not the glass specifically. Clean lenses upside down, so small particles fall away.

Nikon: I checked the Nikon site specifically - http://www.nikonusa.com/About-Nikon/Search.page Downloading the product manual, the maintenance/service instructions are similar.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    At the prices for good glass nowadays, not touching them was a good move!
    Simple, step-by-step instructions here:
    http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/c...inoculars.html

It helps me to remember that I'm actually cleaning a thin lens coating and not the glass specifically. Clean lenses upside down, so small particles fall away.

Nikon: I checked the Nikon site specifically - http://www.nikonusa.com/About-Nikon/Search.page Downloading the product manual, the maintenance/service instructions are similar.

Good luck.
    thank you mr. leech.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Should have technique in owners manual. A sink full of warm water and mild detergent. Using an oven baster to squirt the soapy liquid at the lenses will help remove most, if not all the particles. Just let them soak for a while too.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Leupold and Nikon sell a similar product called the Lenspen. Use it for finger oil smudges, but make sure the lens is free from grit as per the other instructions above. It is great to have in the field; I keep mine in a baggie in my pack. Stranger's ermine skin is, I'm sure, just as good as any microfiber lens cloth or chamois that most high dollar bino/lens companies include in the product box.

A lenspen, rubbing alcohol, Q-tips and a can of air.
    Now what ?