Thread: Do I need to register my canoe now?

Default Do I need to register my canoe now?

This summer I plan on putting a trolling motor on my canoe. Do I need to register my canoe now if I put a trolling motor on it?

Default Canoe registration

I believe any watercraft over 10 feet long have to be registered, even if non-motorized. Atleast that was the way it was a few years back when I registered mine.

Default not any more

Canoes on their own do not need a registration any more. No matter the length.. a few years ago they made us register them, but after 2 years, they dropped the canoe registraton thing.
    If you keep a motor on the canoe, you may need to register..
    here is the state law from the DMV reguarding registration.
    If you do not have a motor on the boat, No, if you plan to have a motor on the boat yes, if the boat is rigged to accept a motor then yes, .

http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/reg/boat.htm
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default ?

Max, a square stern canoe needs to be registered? That is what type canoe I'm contemplating but if it has to be registered then I'll just get the one shaped like a rat terd. Thanks Hap

Default Thanks

Thanks Alaskacanoe, looks like I wont have to renew this June.

Talking my guess

I am about sure that you won't have trouble with a square ender if you don't put a motor on.. I mean,, it is the law to register, but I bet a ranger would be hard pressed to give you trouble if you did not have a motor on it..
    I have a square ender that has never been registered, or had a motor on it.. I have never been questioned about it although it has been seen by rangers often..
    just my .02 cents
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default The way I read it

"Exempt from Registration in Alaska:

A boat with a valid registration from another state or country that is not operated more than 90 consecutive days in Alaska.

A boat owned by any government agency at the federal, state or local level.

Non-powered boats. (Effective 2/10/05, Sport Fishing Guides will be required to register their non-powered boats.)

A documented boat. The documentation may be either from the U.S. or a foreign country."

Therefore, as long is is not powered, or does not have an auxillary power unit, then it does not need to be registered.

Default Absolutely

If you have a motor on it, it needs to be registered. 99% of the time my canoe doesn't have a motor on it. Put a motor on it to duck hunt one day and got a ticket from the trooper. This was 2 years ago.

Default Boat reg.

this only applies to the road system, as if you go out to the bush or small towns that is not connected to the roads you will not see any boat reg to the state, even if it has a motor on it so it is a money maker on the road system only, you got to give our state a hand for the added tax to the people on the road system

Quote Originally Posted by whitewhale View Post
    If you have a motor on it, it needs to be registered. 99% of the time my canoe doesn't have a motor on it. Put a motor on it to duck hunt one day and got a ticket from the trooper. This was 2 years ago.

Well that answers my question. By the way, how much were you fined and did they do anything to your canoe?

Default Ticket

$60 but I'm sure it's more now... And no they didn't do anything else. It was kind of like a speeding ticket.

Default Do you need to register your canoe?

Very interesting thread! As all can see, there are alot of thoughts/opinions about boat registration requirements....some are very accurate and some aren't. Here's the real deal: Registration applies to all undocumented motorized (propulsion machinery) vessels. The cite is 33 CFR 173 (federal) and 02 AAC 70.030 (state). Can you paddle a square stern canoe without having it registered? Of course! Any vessel that is exclusively paddled, poled or rowed is exempt from the state registration requirement. Does that mean if you paddle your 18' Boston Whaler (without a motor) that you don't need to register it? Yep. But the minute you put a motor on it, it must be registered....(you can see how the requirement is somewhat self-limiting!) For those of you who think that the registration process is only a "road system" requirement, you couldn't be more wrong. The law applies to the entire state....just because there isn't a trooper around doesn't mean that speeding is legal. A cash cow? Hardly. One real benefit is that the state can use registration reciepts to apply for matching federal boating safety money....and, as the law allows, spend 75% on education. The same education that helps keep people alive when boating. Most people believe strongly that "it's the other guy" that needs boating safety education, but I'm here to tell you that everyone who boats can benefit from education. Another benefit to registration is that when your canoe floats out into Cook Inlet (or gets stolen) with no one aboard, the troopers can quickly determine who it belongs to and call you....or your next of kin. Several statistics show clearly that education saves lives. The profile of a recreational boating fatality in Alaska is a 25-39 year old male that capsized/fell out of an open boat....and more people die in recreational boating accidents every year than in commercial fishing. So, if you have a death wish, don't get a boating safety class, don't wear your PFD and, by all means, stand up in your boat.....by the way, can I be your beneficiary? Mike

Default Electric motor?

One post I saw said that "an electric motor" isn't really seen as a "motor" in Alaska. So if my trolling motor for my canoe is electric do I still need to register?

Default Emu

Emu: I see no excemption on the state site.

http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/reg/boat.htm

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If you look at the trooper reports on their web page, it is evident that they will indeed cite for unregistered power boats out in the bush when ever they get out there and see them.

Default registation on a canoe

it is just that every town out side of the road system I have been to I see the fish cops there, an 95 % of the boats that have motors on them are not registed, so if the state police are doing there jobs when they get there, the fish cops sure are not, an I was told that they are the same, so I still stand behind what I said the registeration is for the road system only

The response I just received from DMV is "Use of any size or type of motor is considered to be a requirement for registration. This includes electric motors."

Default To reg. a boat

that is the way the law reads as I see it.

Default Thank You Cg Boating Safety

Your post are what they should be facts, after all a law is a law even if no one give you a ticket. Registering is easy and cheap, I got my boat back because of the registration numbers. Just think without it, it might give them one more reason to come over to you and see that you are doing something else wrong.
    As a former boating safety volunteer it's amazing what you see people do on some of the most unforgiving waters around.

Default to or not to do REG. a conoe

the law says to reg all motor/ boats as of the last time I look at the regs, as long as it has a motor on it, no motor, no reg. that sums it up, if you don't reg the boat /motor look out for the Boat cops they will ticket you IF THEY CATCH YOU HAPPY BOATING