Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie

Default newbie

I am looking to buy my first snow machine and I was was wondering if I could get a few recommendations. I don't want to start a brand war or anything like that, I just want to know what others think.

I want an all around machine or as close to one as I can get. I want something that is pretty fun to ride, and yet is able to do a little work too. (pull a sled full of fire wood). Should I go 2 stroke or 4 (Fairbanks weather keep in mind). I like the idea of a 4 stroke but I can say my 4 wheeler doesn't like to start at -25... will a 4 stroke snowmachine start? Anyone else use a 4 stroke in the super cold?

I will mostly be riding trails but occasionally I want to get into a little deep stuff. Don't really want a mountain sled.

I have these three in mind:

Scandic tundra
    Scandic WT
    Yamaha Bravo

If I do decide on a sled does anyone have a "must upgrade option" they can live without on their sled

Smile Sleds

The skandic WT will do everything you want, BUT it rides rought than the rest. It is a really good work horse, I've seen some guys haul big loads with them. And the wide track goes anywhere as long as it isn't up hill, the wide ski skins are a must for this sled. Thats what one of my buddies told me. I have a 300 tundra LT. Love it. light, simple, and slow(for the kids!) rarely gets stuck, and when it does it comes right out. I'm assuming your going to go used??? I thought they made a tundra with a bigger motor??? maybe a 500? If your going to go new(they have some good deals right now!!) the freestyle backcountry is awesome(make em throw in the bigger skiis!!) A good friend of mine just bought one, and it is GREAT!! Rides awesome, and will probably do 65 with ease, garentee it will do everything you want!!

bravo..... have heard good things about them, but have no expeirence with them. I am a ski-doo guy, so any of those questions I can handle, but yamis are goo d sleds too, generally a little heavier, but not all the time.
    Good luck and have fun

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. I looked that the backcountry online and it comes with a 500 engine which I like. Do you know if your buddie ever pulls a sled with his? According to skidoos website the tundra has a 300 2stroke and a 800 4stroke, but Im not sure I want a 4stroke. Although the fuel economy is a plus but I like things simple. I will definitely doing my homework on this one, and you are right there are some good deals right now. Guess I will have to go hang out a the dealer. Anyone have a dealer they would recommend?

Default going for a test ride

I'm going to go test ride a 07 backcountry and a 07 tundra. If I decide on one of the two does anyone have any advice on what upgrades I should insist on? I know bigger skis are a must but anything else a "newbie" should know? Any advice on what kind of helmet you prefer or any general advice?

Default byrd_hntr

If your looking for ski doo info Pm ModElan. He has a wealth of knowledge and is always willing to provide an honest opion.

Thumbs up BackCountry Owner

I have 500 Miles on my 07 Freestyle , added a pair of SlyDog PowderHound Skis and a 5" riser.
    I love the machine , easy to handle, nimble in the timber, and good flotation in powder.
    Not a snappy powerhouse like my 02 Renagade but a great dependable machine to explore the state and take the time to enjoy the country side.
    Not built as sturdy, but you get what you pay for and the weight has to come off somewhere.

I Recommend it if you enjoy that type of ride, if you are an adrenaline junkie don't waste your money.

Polaris RMK Trail 550 fan with the 144 inch track.

Runs deep powder, climbs hills, pulls freight sleds, starts at -40.

for 2008 skidoo has put out a tundra with the 550 fan and the 156 track. 2 up seat even. to me it looks identical to the expedition sport but its got the longer track. its on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Polaris RMK Trail 550 fan with the 144 inch track.

Runs deep powder, climbs hills, pulls freight sleds, starts at -40.
    Good machine everything you say is true exept 136" is the longest track you can get.
    Last edited by northriver21; 03-16-2007 at 15:16. Reason: spelling

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. Im not trying to brand bash, and I no problem with Polaris good sleds as far as Im concerned. Ive rode both and to me the platform of the brp is just more comfortable. The sled seems to respond to my riding style well. Thats why Im going that route.

I rode both the backcountry and the Tundra today and they are both sweet sleds. But for all around "stock" ride the backcountry was king. I didn't get to pull anything, but it seemed to be much more crisp, and handle the bumps better. Anyone have anything to add? I didn't ride the 300F Tundra and I wish I would have. I know its a bit small, but I am a newbie rememebr. However the 550 seemed to be just enough power to make my childish grin spread from ears to ear.

If you go with the Backcountry or Tundra get the skid plate for under the front of the machine. The main thing is the piece of pipe that comes with the kit that will help protect the steering and a-arm mounts when driving over obstacles. Good investment for added protection. Curious what was your impression of the 800 Tundra?

Default went with the bc

After riding both machines around for as long as the salesman would allow me to, I chose the backcontry. I mainly chose it on the ride, it handled bumps much better than the tundra. Other than that they were about the same machine, on the trails. There wasn't a ton of powder around but I did find a few feet to play in and from a stand still the 550F was much better at getting started in the powder. The big claim to the V800 is quiet, or so they say but I thought that they were about the same in the noise dept. Even though the weights are semi close you could tell you were packing more around with the tundra. My (newbie) impression is: if you are going to be riding trails, and doing family outings and you want a nice easy going sled to play with when its warm out (by ak standards) then go with the V800. If you want a bomber do just About everything and start at -50F (yes I have been out on the trapline at -50F) and you still want your machine to start; go with the a 550F and if you want to still have fun occasionally on your sled, get the backcountry. It not the fastest sled out there, but its not always about going fast in my opinion . My pick was the backcountry for those reasons, and I rode it home and pulled a sled full of fire wood as soon as I got home and it did just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Good machine everything you say is true exept 136" is the longest track you can get.
    Not to start an argument but there are lots of RMK trails out there with factory 144 tracks. I can't say for sure about 07 models but for 02-05 the 144 was the stock track with the 136 an option.

byrd, I threw that out there as an option, not as the only way to go. Lots of good sleds out there from various brands

I'm not trying to argue either. I have never seen a Trail RMK with anything longer than a 136" track.

My wife has an 05 trail RMK, if I knew the 144" was an option I would have rather had that.

Polaris began production of the 550 fan Trail RMK in 1999. here is some links to the specs on those machines. They are all listed as 15x136x1.25 track specs.

Maybe it was an option not listed. Now I'm curious has anyone else seen a 144" track on a trail RMK? If so that is what I want to buy for my son when he upgrades next year.

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LRMK&Year=1999

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LRMK&Year=2000

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LRMK&Year=2000

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LRMK&Year=2001

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LRMK&Year=2002

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LRMK&Year=2003

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LRMK&Year=2004

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LRMK&Year=2005

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/ne...icles19889.htm

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...Snow/TrailRMK/

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...ifications.htm

Thats all of the trail RMK specs from 1999 to 2008.

Default No trail RMK in a 144" track

Polaris has not made a 144" track for the trail RMK. Probably the main reason is in the name "TRAIL." They if yoou want a longer track with the wider ski stance and simlilar ride to the Trail RMK consider the POlaris Switchback. Unless of course you do not want a liquid cooled. In that case i believe they make a 144" track touring sled in a 550 Fan.

Alaska Lanche

Default One other thing

I dont think the 550 fan motor would have enough ponies to turn a 144" paddle track without a different gear/clutch setup.

Default polaris

I went and looked the the rmk and it was a nice sled, I just preferred the RF platform better for ride comfort for me. It was just a personal preference. I think that polaris makes good quality machines, I just like the RF style sled better for overall comfort. And most of my friends ride doos so it seemed like a good choice.

Has anyone laid eyes on the 08 tundra LT yet? Any first impressions? Does anyone know if the 2up seat is removable? It would be great to have the extra room if you don't have a rider. Maybe even room for a dog kennel for a tired pointer.

My apologies!
    Not to beat this horse any further but northriver21 is correct.
    I don't know where I got the idea about the 144 track from but it is not available on the trail rmk. Serves me right for posting when I'm tired (lol).

byrd, have you considered a used sled? granted, folks tend to keep utility sleds for a long time but the depreciation on new machines is horrible.

If you go new I suggest left-over models. Often times dealers let them go for cost just to get them out of the way.

Default Articman

Yeah waiting till the 07s go on clearance is the best bet. I am thinking that after articman dealers will be willing to come down a little bit. But for right now they don't seem to want to come down at all. I guess time will tell.

im pretty sure that the seat isnt removable on the rf tundra. the 550 expedition from 04/05 is though. but it was on the rev chassis. i have the 07 550 fan expedition with the 2 up seat and it isnt removable(i wish it was though). now for used sleds maybe a rev summit and then buy the 2 peice seat.. but then thats probably another 500 dollars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast