Thread: GPS Track from Deshka Landing to the Big Bend on the Yetna

Default GPS Track from Deshka Landing to the Big Bend on the Yetna

I have done it many times with a snow machine but never with a jet boat.
    Sure would appreciate some insight on the best route or track.

I looked but can't seem to find it....now is a good time to run it. With low water the channels are very obivious. The other thing is to find someone at the landing going that way. Once on the Yetena to the big bend is real easy. Some have their favorite short cuts on the Su but you need to know or ask if they can be run during low water. I run the same way every time regardless of water conditions.

I just ran it last Monday and it was really easy. As long as you keep your boat in the wet stuff you will be just fine. Pay attention all the way down especially at the mouth of the Yetna for the sand bars. In another month, they won't be visible anymore. That is where you have to be careful later on.

When you get to the confluance of the Yetna and Big Su don't cut in too quick. Go all the way down to the south end then make your turn. There used to be a nasty sand bar on the north end.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks Guys I sure appreciate your help, we are going to go up on Monday.
    Thanks Ernie.

Default Google Earth

Check out Google Earth for satellite image.
    I used it and made it all the way to Lake Creek two years ago.
    I printe out the images and bring them with me on the boat.

Your best bet is to follow someone or do it without GPS. The river can change from one year to the next, and following someone else's GPS is dangerous. They might have ran both rivers when they were 3 ft higher than now. Trust your eyes the most! I ran the Su and about 4 miles up the Yentna last week when it was full of ice with no problems.

Hope I could help.

I plot my way with the GPS only so if I get hurt my family can find their way out. IMHO that track is only good for that trip. The water changes and the sand bars do too, especially at the mouth of the Yetna. You can use your track as a reference for later use but you still have to read the water and not just rely on that screen. Just think if your GPS died and that is the only way you could run the river!!! Good luck to you and take the advise about running when the water is low. I find it is easier to get in a bind when the water is running normal to high than running low...

Thank's everyone, we made it up to the big bend and back without any problems. All the tips and advice sure helped.
    Thanks again Ernie

how many miles from the mouth to the big bend?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Good luck to you and take the advise about running when the water is low. I find it is easier to get in a bind when the water is running normal to high than running low...

99% of the boats that ground out in front of my house do it when the river is high and most of them do it while on step. Just high enough to cover the gravel bars which are normally visible. You can tell who knows the river and who doesnt, lol....no worse sound than a WOT outboard running downriver followed by a loud crash and insane cavitation.....worse than fingernails on a chalkboard...

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    Check out Google Earth for satellite image.
    I used it and made it all the way to Lake Creek two years ago.
    I printe out the images and bring them with me on the boat.
    Google just put on new images they stop just below Kahiltna. They were taken the first week in April.

I use a Gps to run the river and i also use a gps in my plane. I find it to be quite useful.

It is about 17 miles give or take depending on your route.