Thread: Hill People Chest Holster/pack

Default Hill People Chest Holster/pack

Was just sent a link to this:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Home/t...2/Default.aspx

Anyone any experience with this. Looks like an interesting fishing/hiking/hunting option for handgun and lures etc.

I know all about diamond D and most of the other makers, this one was new to me and looks like an interesting carry option that will also protect handgun from elements.

Thoughts?

I donít like that the gun is buried so deep and it takes 2 hands to get at it. Looks well made and like it would work very well other than that.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Nice idea, especially if you are not wearing a full pack as it gives you room for emergency gear.

But, if you attach it to your pack as suggested you don't have a gun (or gear) unless you are wearing your pack. Not an option I would choose.

Plus, it is designed for 2 handed operation. Yes, it can be used (slower) with one hand, as can most of the 'guide' holsters.

I still want to try a Survival Sheath Chest Holster some day. So far I have had too many other spending priorities. A friend has a shoulder holster from them and likes it. http://survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

I agree with Andy. If I want a holster for a sidearm then I demand that I can unholster & resholster with one-handed operation. Otherwise it seems like a dependable means to transport a handgun.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    Nice idea, especially if you are not wearing a full pack as it gives you room for emergency gear.

But, if you attach it to your pack as suggested you don't have a gun (or gear) unless you are wearing your pack. Not an option I would choose.

Plus, it is designed for 2 handed operation. Yes, it can be used (slower) with one hand, as can most of the 'guide' holsters.

I still want to try a Survival Sheath Chest Holster some day. So far I have had too many other spending priorities. A friend has a shoulder holster from them and likes it. http://survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm
    It was actually the guy 'Rob' at survival sheaths who sent me the link!! I do like (ss) kydex holsters, just looking at this Hill People rig as a universal type job for fishing etc.

may get one anyway and I'll ya'll know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    I am one of the owners of Hill People Gear to get that out front, and just want to clarify. The lift kit does not replace the regular H-Harness. You wear the harness under your pack and then just use the lifter kit to dock it to the pack or not your choice. When you want to drop your pack you just unclip the lifter straps and take your pack off. One of the things we wanted to do is get away for belt mounted holsters on pack belts for the exact reason that if you ditch your pack you don't have your pistol anymore. Survival Sheath makes some nice holsters and if you aren't worried about concealment or weather protection it is probably a better way to go.

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a well thought out system.

Quote Originally Posted by scothill View Post
    I am one of the owners of Hill People Gear to get that out front, and just want to clarify. The lift kit does not replace the regular H-Harness. You wear the harness under your pack and then just use the lifter kit to dock it to the pack or not your choice. When you want to drop your pack you just unclip the lifter straps and take your pack off. One of the things we wanted to do is get away for belt mounted holsters on pack belts for the exact reason that if you ditch your pack you don't have your pistol anymore. Survival Sheath makes some nice holsters and if you aren't worried about concealment or weather protection it is probably a better way to go.
    Scott, what do you think of the kit bag? For me I am looking at a 'do it all' system that I can carry (atv'ing, hiking, fishing, hunting etc) that has my sidearm, first-aid, survival kit, gps - you know, the AK outdoors essentials. A kind of 'grab and go' bag that is always packed and with me no matter what the activity. Looks like a good solution and certainly the best out there, your thoughts?
    Wish I could delete!! Just realised that you are an owner of the company, when I first read it I thought you were just an owner of the Kit Bag - of course you like it

I am biased, as you can probably, guess, but I think you won't be disappointed. We have had favorable reviews on a number other forums. If you do a google search for "hill people gear kit bags" you will find some of them. We try not to have to heavy a hand on forums, but if you have any questions please let me know.

Well, it's on it's way. So as soon as the mailman arrives I'll update you guys. Really looking forward to it, I love getting new kit!

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Well, it's on it's way. So as soon as the mailman arrives I'll update you guys. Really looking forward to it, I love getting new kit!
    Looking forward to the update.

The HPG Chest Rig came in on Monday, very quick delivery. Workmanship is outstanding and I am sure it will stand up to AK abuse! All fittings are top quality 'mil-spec' type and NOT cheesy chinese stuff. Initial trials of fit to the body is very comfortable and with a pack on it does not interfere with any straps (inc sternum strap).
    Loaded it up with - quick clot, field dressing, survival kit, first aid kit, [adventure medical] emergency bivi, fenix aa flashlight, headlamp, large pocket knife, 20' 550 cord, folding cup and brew kit, EAA Witness (full size) 10mm and spare mag. Still space to put iphone (use as GPS), wallet, keys and a power bar or 2 or fly box/lures. Weight distributes well, holster pouch opens quick and allows quick draw.
    I did add a couple of loop patches inside the gun compartment so I could put in a maxpedition universal holster and mag pouch. This was an essential mod for me as I find it keeps the gun more secure and makes full use of the additional space with an extra mag. However a full size gun would be fine and not move much without a holster in there.
    Not taken out to the field yet, but Reds are starting in the Buskin, so I'll be out there soon! No point in pics at the moment as all is on the HPG website, but I will post some when I get it in the field with pack etc. I may add some molle straps on the bottom so that I can put a fixed blade knife (SOG Seal pup sized) or maybe a can of bear spray.
    Overall a fantastic bit of kit and (for once) something that is a good solution to a problem that I personally had; ability to carry a good sized handgun and some essential gear in a way that does not hinder other gear and is suitable for all AK outdoor activities. This is gonna become my kind of Bug out Bag for AK! Best part is that fully packed is fits in my center console - (big center seat back of dodge RAM) and that is where it lives (less gun) and is always with me to grab when out and about.
    Don't get me wrong on my modifications, the rig has been well thought out and functions excellently as is. It is kept fairly minimal with just enough slots and loops. I find that any piece of kit needs a little personal touch no matter how well thought out it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    The HPG Chest Rig came in on Monday, very quick delivery. Workmanship is outstanding and I am sure it will stand up to AK abuse!...the rig has been well thought out and functions excellently as is. It is kept fairly minimal with just enough slots and loops.
    I am glad you are satisfied and hope that it provides excellent service for many items that hopefully you'll not need.

Forgot to add that unholstering one handed is actually pretty quick, just pull open with strong hand hand and then draw. Actually no different, maybe quicker, maybe a tad slower than opening a flap of a covered holster or the plastic side-release buckle of an AK Sportsmans holster.

Just a quick update.
    This little pack is freaking awesome. It has now had a good few fishing trips, hikes (with full hunting pack and guide gun across chest etc). I hardly notice it is there becuase it spreads the weight so well. Takes my handgun, a few goodies and all my fly gear, makes for easy access to all and keeps everything high and out of the water. Have a can of pepper spray on left side of the harness and the whole kit is always with me. Great thing is I can fish a spot, then just jump in the truck and go to another spot without having to take any gear off. Also excellent for hunting and hiking as it will take my sidearm, survival/first aid etc without interfereing with pack and I never have to take it off. So even when my pack is off my back I still have all the essentials with me.
    Nice Job HPG, for once a bit of kit that does just as should.

i agree, i am really enjoying my pack. i have mostly worn it when backpacking with my kids this summer. i can keep my .44 in one pocket (with a mod to hold a maxpedition velcro holster), in the other large pocket i keep my GPS, SPOT, P&S camera and small binocs, and in the smaller pocket a small knife, mosquito repellent, water purifier, etc. i'll be taking it on my 2 week backpacking trip to the brooks range. i don't have hipbelt pockets on my pack, so this works great. built well and i have no doubt it will last for sometime. as a fishing chest pack, it would be great, i just haven't used it for that yet.

i highly recommend them.

Scothill will probably see this, but I will post over on HPG forum as well. I cannot help but think that addition of hook and loop in the gun pouch will be a huge improvement as it seems most owners are adding that anyway. That addition with my maxpedition velcro universal holster just makes the gun that bit more secure and adds ability to put a velcro mag holder or ammo loops.

Is the front pouch large enough for a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x40?

Or Maybe a DSLR camera?