Thread: Mayday Calls question

Question Mayday Calls question

I am creating a small card to place by my radio with pertinent information about the boat and proper way to make a mayday call. I will during my safety brief instruct passengers the location of this card.

Question: When stating the name of the boat I have noticed on the radio things like "This is FV" (Fish vessel?) etc. Would you use P/V for private vessel? What is the proper terminology?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I believe P/V is pollice vessel...it says it on the USFS LE boat that I saw tuesday in harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I am creating a small card to place by my radio with pertinent information about the boat and proper way to make a mayday call. I will during my safety brief instruct passengers the location of this card.

Question: When stating the name of the boat I have noticed on the radio things like "This is FV" (Fish vessel?) etc. Would you use P/V for private vessel? What is the proper terminology?
    I think you'd use M/V, or motor vessel. F/V usually refers to commercial fishing vessels.

The USCG has a nice sticker with all the info on how to make a mayday call, you should be able to get one from the CG auxiliary. When we took a boating safety class they handed them out, and I slapped one next to the VHF so everyone on board will know what to do.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for the help

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

You can pick them up at the DNR Public Information Center too, along with the Oil Discharge sticker and all the Alaska Boating handbooks.
    If they are out then Boating Safety is on the 13th Floor of the Atwood Building and they got gobs of stuff.

Call Decal.jpg
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1