Thread: Goodnews/Kanektok, mid-Sept.

Default Goodnews/Kanektok, mid-Sept.

so I'm trying to help an out-of-state friend and his wife plan a DIY fall float trip out west for themselves and a couple buddies of theirs; this is the father of my best friend and the two of us might also tag along and help row the old folks down the river. We're looking for a 5-7 day float with good fishing after Labor Day, excellent scenery, and limited lodge pressure... and easily floated and fished from banks and gravel bars. Another factor to consider is logistics; we may need to rent some rafts in Bethel or Dillingham... assuming there are rafts to rent in such places...??

thanks and tight lines!

The goodnews is shorter, only one lodge/camp, and the guided stuff winds down anyways on both those rivers after labor day. I recc 7 days for either of those - realizing that there can and are travel delays due to fog/low ceiling/weather traveling to the river from either Bethel or Dillingham - and you may lose (or gain) - a day or so coming or going. Also, for those particular rivers, I think you may now need a permit to float it, there are limited permits being given out, and you also have to retain all human solid waste and a container for it. Togiak National Wildlife Refuge manages those places and may have something on their website about it by now. Yes, rental rafts are available, ask your pilot about that - they will run ~$100/day.

Quote Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post
    so I'm trying to help an out-of-state friend and his wife plan a DIY fall float trip out west for themselves and a couple buddies of theirs; this is the father of my best friend and the two of us might also tag along and help row the old folks down the river. We're looking for a 5-7 day float with good fishing after Labor Day, excellent scenery, and limited lodge pressure... and easily floated and fished from banks and gravel bars. Another factor to consider is logistics; we may need to rent some rafts in Bethel or Dillingham... assuming there are rafts to rent in such places...??

thanks and tight lines!
    My first choice of air taxi with raft rental would be Tom from Bay Air out of Dillingham. As to the Goodnews, as the previous poster stated there is only one lodge on the river. However a slew of concession permits where awarded this Winter to float guides for that river. I'll be running it at least twice at this point.

The Togiak is another good option. The only lodge there is at the take out (if you take out at the Pungo and 95% of most groups do). Awesome Char, great Rainbows, and Silvers non-stop that time of year.

I do believe the Goodnews has either gone or is going to, permitting for DIY groups this year also.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

a quick search reveals that the gnews and ktok are going on a limited permit system of some kind:

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...-ld-writethru/

It sounds ok, perhaps better than without permits.