Thread: Wilderness float trip - open to suggestions - end of August - advise? Partners?

Default Wilderness float trip - open to suggestions - end of August - advise? Partners?

I will be visiting Alaska for the first time toward the end of August and beginning of September. I am mostly a do it yourself guy and love exploring, adventure, seclusion, and fishing. Would love to fish and float a remote wilderness river over a period of about 10 days such as the Aniak or any of Alaska's true wilderness trips (definitely open to suggestions). Problem is I am traveling solo and would love to hook up with a group or another individual or two to do a trip such as this and do not have the budget which allows me to pay for a guided and expensive trip. Any advise on a somewhat affordable option (yes I can pay for a floatplane and rentals - but just not guided) or how to hook up with some kind of group would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Find someone to go with you. Consider the Kobuk as timing is great for sheefish and solitude. Contact Bettles Air and Brooks Range Aviation or visit their sites for bush flight info. Hoping to do this river myself soon, depends on time off from work. Ten days would be ideal. Sheefish on a fly rod sounds like a blast. Great wilderness quality in a trip like this. Wouldn't go solo though. The bush flight services rent rafts and SOAR inflatables if I recall. Research this river and send some emails. I think you may be happy with what you find.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Depending what you are looking for i would look at the tribs of the Noatak in NW Alaska. The Kug. Nimmi and Kelly are wonderful trips and worth the effort and to say nothing about the Dolly fishing!

Dan will back me up on this but the Dolly fishing is like wow!

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Mile 127.5 of the Richardson
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps
    www.gulkanaraftrentals.com

Thems the facts....

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Here it comes Dan! Still like that shot