Thread: how long is toooo long!!!???

Default how long is toooo long!!!???

how long is toooooo long?

basicly im just voiceing my fustration...
    i gave my first ever fox that a i ever shot to a taxidermist in town...
    i asked for a TAN ONLY!!...
    he said it would be done in 6 MONTHS!!!
    its been like 8 MONTHS...
    every time i call him he says "oh, nothin in on the small stuff..., ill give ya a call when its done..."
    i have a feeling that im being used because im a kid that dosnt know much...

wat do you guys think?

thnks,
    joe,
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Patience.. If he sent it out to be professionally tanned as I do, it is all on the cycle of the tannery.. Bears, moose, bou.. for example.. then musk ox,.. then your larger canines such as wolverines, wolves.. otters.. things with realatively the same skin thickness.. fox skin is like wet paper.. tears easily and need to be tanned with other fox.. ermines, muskrats and coyotes size critters.. If your guy did the prep work, salted and sent it out as soon as he got it.. shoild be back by now.. If he stuck it in the freezer and waited 6 months or until your invoice was up to touch it.. it could be a while.. I dont know how your taxi runs his operation.. 4-6 months is about average on tanning alone..

If he uses the tannery in town, they are just about to finish up all the small mammales from trapping season in anticipation of bears starting to roll in soon..

Hope that helps..

Patience, grasshoppa. What taxidermist you use? I do find it strange your taxi has a 6-month turnaround time for a tan job...

Next time send it to Moyles and cut out the middle man. Thats probably who your taxi sent it to anyway. They usually have a 2-3 month turnaround depending on time of year and type of pelts.

I could have it done in a week.

I had a taxidermest offer to do a bird for me in exchange for some work (2 years ago) and I still havn't got it back.

And yes, you might be getting played cause your a kid, I do all the time.

joefish,

I would call the taxidermist and ask him who he uses for the tanning and the normal process. I usually ask this when I search for a taxidermist. Be upfront--not rude--just upfront about your concerns of the time.

Hoytguy's answer is the most likely reason.

IMHO, A taxidermist will take care of a young client. He knows a happy young client will be a lifelong client.

I took two deer hides and a silver fox to a Fairbanks tannery; "Probably six months", he says.
    Six months later, "Call me in a couple months."
    A couple months later, "Another couple months."
    (Repeat.)
    It's been a YEAR, and finally I get the two tanned deer hides. But the fox is M.I.A. After another month of constant visits and phone calls I finally get the tanner to admit he lost my fox, and he offers me someone else's as a replacement.
    Discount: $0
    (Same as my repeat business.)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
    I took two deer hides and a silver fox to a Fairbanks tannery; "Probably six months", he says.
    Six months later, "Call me in a couple months."
    A couple months later, "Another couple months."
    (Repeat.)
    It's been a YEAR, and finally I get the two tanned deer hides. But the fox is M.I.A. After another month of constant visits and phone calls I finally get the tanner to admit he lost my fox, and he offers me someone else's as a replacement.
    Discount: $0
    (Same as my repeat business.)
    Haha!! That's probably how he lost yours. He gave yours to someone else because he lost theirs. Sounds like a bad cycle for a tanner.