Thread: Off limits to hunting

Default Off limits to hunting

Are the wildlife refugees on the Kenai Peninsula open or closed to hunting?

Read the regulations closely, as it varies from species to species and area to area. Furthermore, there are motorized vehicle restrictions as well. You can hunt moose and more on the refuges, but be careful with the regs.

-Brian

Default Sounds good

That doesn't sound so bad. After looking at a map and seeing how much of an area the refugee encompassed I was rather worried. Moose and caribou will probably be my main goals this year, as this will be my first year hunting in alaska. can't wait

There are caribou on the Kenai peninsula, but they're all managed by drawing permit. There are three permits that I'm aware of: Kenai Mountains, Killey River, and Fox River (I think?). All three require non-motorized access. You can hike long distances into the Kenai Mountains, but the other two are typically accessed by horseback. The peninsula is typically not considered among one of the top places to chase caribou, but if you can get a permit and are dedicated, you have a shot at harvesting a very nice bull down there. As for moose, I probably don't need to tell you that the peninsula has lots of them, just as it has lots of hunters. Good luck!

-Brian

Default fox river herd

has been closed for a while, not likely to change. i think there are well under 100 animals in it.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Oops! Thanks for the correction, Dave. I've never put in for that permit, but just remembered seeing it in the permit supplement. What's the story on the herd decline? Predation? I don't think there are habitat issues up there, are there? Interesting, especially since they were trying to cull extra caribou (cows) from the Kiley River herd a couple years back.

-Brian