Thread: June 4-5, 2011 Willow Creek Fest

Default June 4-5, 2011 Willow Creek Fest

Kayak races, pack-raft races, Ik races, down the guard rail section, and the redgate section. There are fun events planned for all levels of paddlers, and there will be many experts to help with everyone's safety. This will probably be the biggest whitewater fest to date, so come and watch or participate.
    See, Susitna Sled and Kayak face book, or web page, for details.
    Mark

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Sounds like a fun time there Mark------I may still be on slope but I'll be there in spirit........

You guys do all the cool stuff when I can't be here to watch... In Bristol Bay at that time till Oct.

George

Default Maybe.. Just maybe.. I'll be there..

I am off work, and would like to come. Is there a list of competes? My boat is a slug, but it would be fun to race anyway.. I'm fat and out of practice though, this could be interesting.

Chris..
    good to hear from you !!!
    You need to go join the fun..
    no matter what shape you are in ..you are always an animal at this stuff..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Hey Max!! Yeah, I've been out of it for a while. Took some time off work to get my old house finished, then found a house in wasilla and haven't stopped running yet. But it's all good. Finally got my boat fixed and most of my toys up and running. Maybe I'll pop in and out of here a little more now that life is stable.. Hope you and yours are doing well, I'll stop by and say hello this summer.

Chris

Default Slalom

All of the gates are in place, on the first rapid of the redgate put-in, and the creek is running, nice and juicy right now, so get up there and give it a try.
    Don't forget the fest, there is a nice bank to watch from, or just get out there and compete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default June 4-5 2011 Willow Creek Fest

Don't forget to stop by the festival this weekend. This is a great way to meet some other paddlers, and it should be an enjoyable time.
    The creek is still running around 1000cfs, which makes for a smokin guardrail run, or a super fun, splashy, redgate run.

Default Fest pic

The guardrail racers. In this group of paddlers you see people with different levels of skill. There are Devil Canyon veterans, adventure seekers, thrill-seekers, and a few uncertain boaters who are trying out this exciting sport. I think everyone had alot of fun, to say the least, and I imagine we will see a repeat next year.
    I'll post more pics in a few days, heading to the Kings Canyon.
    MO

Mark, it looked like it was going to be a good time this weekend. I had a small window on Saturday, but I was able to get a quick Guardrail run in before the race and bike back up and see some buddies before they competed (fun water level). They had some cool boats to demo, and the BBQ lady was slinging some good grub. I'll plan on making a weekend out of it next year.

Josh

Default pics

Here are a few pics of the slalom race, and down river race pics.
    There were PR's, IK's and kayaks in the slalom, and IK's, and kayaks in the guard-rail race.
    I have a couple of clips of some carnage but do not know how to post vids here. Actually, I have alot of vids of carnage that I have collected for several years, which I occasionally pull out to remind my friends why we wear life vests. lol

Default Fest pics

More pics of the slalom race

Default Down river pics

A few shots of boaters

Default More pics

More pics of fest

Default Pics of fest

And my two little monkeys who competed in the beginner kayak, and IK, redgate race. Kyle won his first trophy, although nobody else competed in his class. Melissa has a falling out with Three Knuckle Rock, and got a close up of the fish.

Default Pics of Willow festival

What a great time amongst boaters who love to live. Debbie and James Castro did a great job putting this together, and everyone is already talking about next year.