Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Range work with Redhawk today

  1. #1
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default Range work with Redhawk today

    Got out to the local club to sight in a Benjiman Franklin .22 air rifle today and took the Redhawk along for grins. First time out this year but, definately not my last.


    Steve

  2. #2
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Well you got it surrounded there so it can’t get away. Looks like fun.

    Ether that is some odd paper tearing that way or you have some tumblers there, can’t tell from the picture.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  3. #3
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Andy, never said I was good just persitant. hehehe
    Steve

  4. #4
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Yes, I noticed them. The tumblers are the air guns pellets hitting the paper.
    Steve

  5. #5
    Member stevelyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Don't feel bad. I had similar results trying to walk in some Corbon factory 335gr heavy hitters to the sights yesterday. Elevation dialed in quickly. One click on windage tended to over correct.
    Definitely have to get the rest of my components and start doing load developement.
    Now what ?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Don't feel bad. I had similar results trying to walk in some Corbon factory 335gr heavy hitters to the sights yesterday. Elevation dialed in quickly. One click on windage tended to over correct.
    Definitely have to get the rest of my components and start doing load developement.
    I notice a huge difference in factory ammo and my reloads. Reloads tend to leave one big ragged hole
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    I see the trouble right off. There is an alien behind the target! It keeps moving everything! Just what is that creepy stuff back there?
    You need help, BIG TIME.
    What distance, what load, what caliber, what boolit, What boolit diameter or is it a jacketed bullet? What are the tumbled looking holes?
    The RH is a great gun except for the spring setup and should do 1" at 50 meters from Creedmore or a rest.
    Lay out ALL information because it is the only way to get help.
    Those holes means you have something very, very wrong.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    I see the trouble right off. There is an alien behind the target! It keeps moving everything! Just what is that creepy stuff back there?
    You need help, BIG TIME.
    What distance, what load, what caliber, what boolit, What boolit diameter or is it a jacketed bullet? What are the tumbled looking holes?
    The RH is a great gun except for the spring setup and should do 1" at 50 meters from Creedmore or a rest.
    Lay out ALL information because it is the only way to get help.
    Those holes means you have something very, very wrong.
    He explained that the funky looking holes are from the pellet gun.

  9. #9
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    You need help, BIG TIME.
    The only help he needs is to work on his trigger squeeze. For the first time out that is not a bad group. Much better than my first group of the spring usually is.

    However, brfshooter, you might need to brush up on your reading skills.

  10. #10
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The only help he needs is to work on his trigger squeeze. For the first time out that is not a bad group. Much better than my first group of the spring usually is.
    Yes, that's a pellet gun target and considering the small size it’s not bad at all. I was only joking with the “got it surrounded” thing because I’ve been there “left, right, high, low, two o-clock, ten o-clock . . . what the heck, why can’t I get the middle of all that!” Every Redhawk hole on that paper would be game on the ground in the field, sure better is always mo-betta but when we get tunnel vision on that ten ring down at the range we should also remember good enough is good-nuf.

    Best way to improve with a handgun I find is sitting in my recliner with snap caps in the gun snapping at moving targets on the TV. Now I love my flat screen and the tile job I did in the shower that’s behind the TV wall so I’m VERY careful about making sure it’s snap caps in there every time I pick up the gun!

    Not to mention I don’t want to splain any new holes to the wife!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Not to mention I don’t want to splain any new holes to the wife!
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Does that imply there are some OLD holes? Haha!

  12. #12
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    I see the trouble right off. There is an alien behind the target! It keeps moving everything! Just what is that creepy stuff back there?
    You need help, BIG TIME.
    What distance, what load, what caliber, what boolit, What boolit diameter or is it a jacketed bullet? What are the tumbled looking holes?
    The RH is a great gun except for the spring setup and should do 1" at 50 meters from Creedmore or a rest.
    Lay out ALL information because it is the only way to get help.
    Those holes means you have something very, very wrong.

    bfrshooter, .44 magnum, my rest was less than perfect(sandbag filled with limestones), hazard fence was media used by range to hold targets,(I always prefer to practice from actual field positons and conditions) , 25 yards, Lee 310 bullets at approximately 1100 fps. as stated earlier in post keyholed shots were from air rifle, by the way how's your reading comprehension? I'm 62 and have a difficult time getting into prone rifle position anymore, after having back surgery?
    Please, post some pictures of your 1" groups from 50 meters from Creedmore position?
    Steve

  13. #13
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Does that imply there are some OLD holes? Haha!
    Well there are lots of old holes, no bullet holes though . . . well there is a BB hole in a window thanks to the kid across the way getting a new toy for Christmas. My holes are from my never ending construction projects that are always ongoing around here hence my orders from the boss are “NO new holes till the others are finished!”

    Accidental discharge happens though I haven’t had one I wasn’t ready for (knocking on wood) since I was a little kid and touched off my brother’s 44mag inside my sister’s Metropolitan Nash with the windows up. Busting my ear drums, puking from the dizziness, getting my butt beat, and working all summer to buy a new door made me extremely careful and paranoid about it! Every time I touch a firearm I check it at least twice, I don’t ever want to have another A/D if I can help it.

    In the 80s I had been quail hunting in Arizona with my uncle. Back at his house after a long day hunting he took his shotguns into the gunroom, little later BOOM and the painting on the living room wall that joined to the gunroom fell on my head. We run in there to see my uncle counting his toes through where the toe of his boot used to be, all 5 were still there but throbbing badly he said. There was a baseball size divot gone from the concrete floor, the carpet was dune for, and he needed new boots but once he could hear us we have never stopped calling him “nub toe.” So anyway, ole Num Toe still swears up-n-down he checked the chamber before the firing pin spring tension off and he is no fool, he wasn’t diligent enough and it can happen to anyone.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The only help he needs is to work on his trigger squeeze. For the first time out that is not a bad group. Much better than my first group of the spring usually is.

    However, brfshooter, you might need to brush up on your reading skills.
    I question because some of the pellet holes are very large. Some are as large as the .44. Maybe two or three shots in the same hole, so forgive me.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    bfrshooter, .44 magnum, my rest was less than perfect(sandbag filled with limestones), hazard fence was media used by range to hold targets,(I always prefer to practice from actual field positons and conditions) , 25 yards, Lee 310 bullets at approximately 1100 fps. as stated earlier in post keyholed shots were from air rifle, by the way how's your reading comprehension? I'm 62 and have a difficult time getting into prone rifle position anymore, after having back surgery?
    Please, post some pictures of your 1" groups from 50 meters from Creedmore position?
    Steve
    Not many from Creedmore but 1/2" at 50 meters was common, I shoot no different from Creedmore then I do from sandbags. I took Ohio state with a Ruger .44 shooting 79 out of 80 and it was my fault I missed the last ram at 200 meters.
    I shot this group with my Vaquero at 50 yards from Creedmore.
    Then average groups at 50 and 100 yards with my .44. I hit the rail on my last shot at 100 so I aimed higher for the last shot.
    How about 3 shots at 200 yards from my .44?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    I am not saying how you shoot is wrong at all. I am saying what you stick in your revolver can be all wrong.
    Bear with me, I want to help all I can.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    I shot my .475 yesterday with 5 bad loads. I had 3 with light seating pressure, another tighter and another very tight.
    The first 3 went into 5/16" at the top, then a tighter one went lower with the tightest lower yet. This is just case tension.
    Yes, 50 yards! It shows what a small variation will do with loading practices let alone what factory ammo will do.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •