Thread: Willow Creek - Mid May

Default Willow Creek - Mid May

I will be in Willow around the 20th of May and thought about wetting a line and taking a float down to the confluence, not sure whether to start at the bridge or further up. Has anyone laid eyes on the river or have a guess about the conditions that early in the season? I think the earliest I have been on the Willow was mid to late June.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSeeUm View Post
    I will be in Willow around the 20th of May and thought about wetting a line and taking a float down to the confluence, not sure whether to start at the bridge or further up. Has anyone laid eyes on the river or have a guess about the conditions that early in the season? I think the earliest I have been on the Willow was mid to late June.
    What kind of craft are you floating with? I haven't been up there in a week or so, but based of prior seasons, it could be a bit sporty launching above the bridge, and may be the same from the bridge down.

I'd give Willow Creek Resort a call (907) 495-6343 ‎ and ask em for updates.

Good luck.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

My kids are on me like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat to take them to Willow Creek. So we are going to go to the State Recreational area (the confluence) tomorrow and try to fish for salmon. I'll post an update here if it doesn't yeild anything positive. If I do catch a king, I'll post a new thread with the picture......

Thanks, yeah I figured I would give them a call. I will be on a 9' single cataraft I bought a few weeks ago. I think I will set it up this weekend just to get a feel for it. I have floated the lower section in a three man Aire a couple of times, but never ventured above the bridge. I think that there are at least two put-in's above. One, Redgate, is pretty technical from my understanding; probably a lot more fun in a kayak. The other is lower and from what i have read is class I-II, but again I have not ventured up there.

Hope you had luck 1967, good luck with the pack as well. Fish On.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSeeUm View Post
    Thanks, yeah I figured I would give them a call. I will be on a 9' single cataraft I bought a few weeks ago. I think I will set it up this weekend just to get a feel for it. I have floated the lower section in a three man Aire a couple of times, but never ventured above the bridge. I think that there are at least two put-in's above. One, Redgate, is pretty technical from my understanding; probably a lot more fun in a kayak. The other is lower and from what i have read is class I-II, but again I have not ventured up there.
    The "Lower" put in (I ain't naming names <grin>) is the one most generally used. There is, during summer, a fair to LOT of wood in the water up there, and one ever present log jam that always illicit's some off color words. Good fishing to be sure and I've run both sections in a 13' AIRE and a one man cat. Completely doable, I'd just be reluctant to run the upper section this early....But hell, I've been wrong before. 'Luck to you, and good fishin'.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I just fished the confluence of Willow Creek with the Big Su and no salmon were running. No trout biting for that matter