Thread: Brown things 3 to one black things

Default Brown things 3 to one black things

Early ratio is 3 to 1 brown bears to black bears. Higher than last years 3 to 2 ratio. No sow with cubs tracks yet encountered of either bear (which I find very interesting).

The Brown Bears are on average getting much larger, which is to be expected if their only enemy is cars and trucks killing them. There is one 9 footer, one 8 & a bit footer, and one 7 1/2 footer, I wonder where the three, four year old Brown Bears went......?

Only encountered one Black Bear track, but it is a very nice one.

Good hunting to You,
    "The local Troll"

Hey, someones gotta keep a count, eh?

Thanx, AGL4Now

Strange how it is, the way people feel about Bears. Folks around this dont even "Talk Bear" much, with the idea that bragging will bring bad luck against you, much like the biblical "the Boast come before the Fall" inn weird way........
    Just having the skin hanging around and the meat distributed gets a good word in for the fellow who brought one home.
    My wifes family dosent have the women eat Bear meat, in a tradional sorta way, and they just dont know how good it is, even Black Bear, which is better than Caribou........(to me)

Folks around here eating plenty of Bear meats, and one fellow brought home a nice 9'9" skin from the dump,(tape measure'd and squared) some one didnt want.......quite opposite of many out there, though its not an evaluation of any kinda right or wrong kinda thing......just an observation from this point directly above the center of the Earth......

Plenty good, carry on
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

that post made no sense stranger haha

My only visitor so far is a very large brown bear. He tore my barrel off the tree. It was secured with two chains tightened with two 5/16th" turnbuckles. He broke the turnbuckles, most likely by repeated pushing against the barrel and repeatedly bending the hooks until they broke.

That's a 15 gallon beer keg that I use for bait.

I was just remarking about how some count and some dont, some count size, or count how many, some tally up in Lbs of meat...... even Bear on Bear ratio's like this thread and maby why......but I often dont make sense anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    that post made no sense stranger haha
    Made total 100% sense to me........

To be 100% clear, I am referring only to Bear "Tracks". I am more interested in Bear movement patters. Like they both make loops, but the Black Bear go one way around, and the Brown Bears go the opposite direction.

If a hunter kills brown bear only for the hide and skull, then his appreciation is incomplete, yes?
    If a hunter kills brown bear only for the meat, then his appreciation is incomplete, yes?

Neither is right or wrong, of course, just different appreciations. But at this juncture in the biological mix of predators to game animals, especially where AGL lives, the count counts because you can hunt one but not the other and both are dining on the local meat-bearers.

My baiting pictures are about the same; about 1 black to every 3 brown. I sure hope the biologists frequent these forums because otherwise they have no idea how to get that ratio! Funny, though, how our sighting information is not sought as a source.

Yeah, Casper - Turnbuckle is the weak link there. I had that problem last year. Switched to those threaded chain links that can be added in anywhere and haven't had a problem since. Not that I WON'T, but I haven't.

"Kill 'em all and let the Biologist sort them out"! LOL

Taylor

Two loops would make sense, I'm thinking the Black is avoiding the Brown.......prehaps the Brown eats the Black......

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Two loops would make sense, I'm thinking the Black is avoiding the Brown.......prehaps the Brown eats the Black......
    That was my conclusion also, factored in would be the prevailing wind direction. This was a mystery that I worked on about five years ago.

Hey Brian M. Look 2,500 posts...............when do I get my set of steak knives.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Hey Brian M. Look 2,500 posts...............when do I get my set of steak knives.
    Steak knives? Well...I might be able to rummage up a mismatched set of three butter knives and a spoon.

I enjoy it all and to me all has value in some way. Being both cold and hungry makes a bear of any kind a treat
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    My only visitor so far is a very large brown bear. He tore my barrel off the tree. It was secured with two chains tightened with two 5/16th" turnbuckles. He broke the turnbuckles, most likely by repeated pushing against the barrel and repeatedly bending the hooks until they broke.

That's a 15 gallon beer keg that I use for bait.
    Is it just me or does that thing look like a TOAD!?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Is it just me or does that thing look like a TOAD!?
    It is just you. But the Bear dropped his water bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Steak knives? Well...I might be able to rummage up a mismatched set of three butter knives and a spoon.
    He'd rather have your youthful good looks.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It is just you. But the Bear dropped his water bottle.
    What's your pro-opinion on size?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    What's your pro-opinion on size?
    I would need a much Gooooder photo.

I have only had 1 persistent brownie so far this season at my site.
    Being I am baiting on the wildlife refuge I have to send in a post season report.
    Some of the questions include asking how many bears of each type you have seen at your site.
    Maybe ADF&G should add these kind of questions to our harvest reporting cards?
    I would think that info would be helpful to them in determining population densities of both blacks and browns statewide.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Not to misdirect this post to a political battle but the wildlife folks i've talked to have no interest in knowing the actual densities, particularly on the refuge. If they can say they have no data and don't know how many there are, then they don't have to defend not liberalizing the hunting. Basically exactly what I was told by their personnel from a quite high level.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Not to misdirect this post to a political battle but the wildlife folks i've talked to have no interest in knowing the actual densities, particularly on the refuge. If they can say they have no data and don't know how many there are, then they don't have to defend not liberalizing the hunting. Basically exactly what I was told by their personnel from a quite high level.

I don't doubt that at all.
    It would be interesting though to see a map compiled of bear densities statewide based on hard data like info from active bear baiters.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"