Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66

Thread: Stolen stand or fair game?

  1. #1
    Member ArcherBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Salcha & Clear Alaska
    Posts
    173

    Default Stolen stand or fair game?

    I've been in the same bear bait stand for 7 years! It has my camo netting, my bow hanging hooks, my tarp, and my clean barrel and buckets. It by no means looks abandoned. This year I registered it on the 1st of April, but there was far too much snow to get 6 miles back on a 4 wheeler trail. Then work took me out of town for a couple weeks. When my son and I got the 6 miles in we found another personís bear bait sign and our clean barrel had been baited!!! Is this ethical or sound hunting etiquette? I hate to think this is how things work..."I found it you werenít here now it's mine"??? It was disheartening, especially the look on my son's face (10 yrs old) when I turned and said "well turn your wheeler around someoneís taken our stand" So what do you make of it? Stolen bait stand or fair game? I know how I feel!
    Bob

    Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

  2. #2
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Unfortunately if it is on public land it is " fair game" ethically or morally no way. At least for me. Some people seem to think it is ok to take things that they "find" on public lands. The only thing I think you may have a case on is if you registered before that person did. But it would be hard to prove that they didnt put the stuff out even if you know it is yours. However if you OWN the barrel/stand you cant get in trouble for sabotaging what is yours. So if you decided to dump their crap out and take your barrel else where I would.

  3. #3
    Member ArcherBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Salcha & Clear Alaska
    Posts
    173

    Default

    well I used my wood for the stand 7 years ago too so maybe i'll just tear it down and take everything out except HIS dog food. hmmm
    Bob

    Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

  4. #4
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    my point exactly it is illegal to mess with someone Else's stuff but if it is yours and you decide to take it else where there is no crime.

  5. #5

    Default

    Two Wrongs will never work out to be Right...
    Both Parties are at fault in this instance...based on the limited info provided.
    Sooner or later Alaskan's will each come face to face with one another....too many of us now, for each of us to have our private reserves on public lands. We imo should accept the fact, that the possibility exists that others want to share in the bounty as well. The bounty, is shrinking with each passing day...Population is expanding...There will be conflict...no getting around it. Conflict can be avoided by sharing what is easy or working harder than the next guy and going the extra mile. Neither are easy pills to swallow. Or, conflict can be resolved thru physical force...Sometimes this is the only way, if you are dealing with a Bully.

    If in fact A Bully has taken over your entire operation that was lawfully awarded to you (not entirely clear in your post), then I would take the kid back in with me and confront the Bully and deal with him accordingly...Would be a good lesson for kids to learn at an early age...first hand. It can be a tough call, but we should not deliberately avoid conflict when it involves Bullies...nor should kids be taught to.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Take down the steps while he's up there waiting for a bear. that'll learn 'em

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherBob View Post
    I've been in the same bear bait stand for 7 years! It has my camo netting, my bow hanging hooks, my tarp, and my clean barrel and buckets. It by no means looks abandoned. This year I registered it on the 1st of April, but there was far too much snow to get 6 miles back on a 4 wheeler trail. Then work took me out of town for a couple weeks. When my son and I got the 6 miles in we found another personís bear bait sign and our clean barrel had been baited!!! Is this ethical or sound hunting etiquette? I hate to think this is how things work..."I found it you werenít here now it's mine"??? It was disheartening, especially the look on my son's face (10 yrs old) when I turned and said "well turn your wheeler around someoneís taken our stand" So what do you make of it? Stolen bait stand or fair game? I know how I feel!
    Although it is not really ethically or morally correct to just show up and start using another person's equipment, it is also not legal for you to leave your equipment in the field year round. According to the bear baiting regs, "You must remove bait, litter, and equipment from the bait station site when hunting is completed."

    I am not defending the other guy's actions by any means, just saying that both parties are somewhat at fault here. You put yourself into that position by leaving your stuff out there from the previous year (if I read your post correctly). The best way to avoid something like this happening would be to remove your equipment from the site each season, and then bring it in each season. Most likely, if that other person had not seen your equipment, they would likely have not chosen to set up right there.

  8. #8
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Seems like leaving a note with your contact info would be a good idea. Might be easy to resolve if the two of you discussed what is going on at the bait site. Heck, you might even get together and cooperate to work the stand as a team.
    I feel for ya though, I'm sure I wouldn't be too happy if someone took over my bait stand. As stated though, it is public land. It doesn't seem right he is squatting on your "area" let alone using your equipment to hunt.
    Keep us posted on the outcome, I'm sure your not the only one this has/will happen to.
    BK

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Although it is not really ethically or morally correct to just show up and start using another person's equipment, it is also not legal for you to leave your equipment in the field year round. According to the bear baiting regs, "You must remove bait, litter, and equipment from the bait station site when hunting is completed."

    I am not defending the other guy's actions by any means, just saying that both parties are somewhat at fault here. You put yourself into that position by leaving your stuff out there from the previous year (if I read your post correctly). The best way to avoid something like this happening would be to remove your equipment from the site each season, and then bring it in each season. Most likely, if that other person had not seen your equipment, they would likely have not chosen to set up right there.
    You May NOT also set it up prior to the season start.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Although it is not really ethically or morally correct to just show up and start using another person's equipment, it is also not legal for you to leave your equipment in the field year round. According to the bear baiting regs, "You must remove bait, litter, and equipment from the bait station site when hunting is completed."

    I am not defending the other guy's actions by any means, just saying that both parties are somewhat at fault here. You put yourself into that position by leaving your stuff out there from the previous year (if I read your post correctly). The best way to avoid something like this happening would be to remove your equipment from the site each season, and then bring it in each season. Most likely, if that other person had not seen your equipment, they would likely have not chosen to set up right there.
    My thoughts as well...'twas why I didn't suggest getting the cops involved.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    According to the bear baiting regs, "You must remove bait, litter, and equipment from the bait station site when hunting is completed."
    Unit 7 is exempt from need to remove Permanent treestands (Sometimes, small treehouses) and barrels.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    If you registered it, then wouldn't it be illeagle for him to bait on it cause his licence number isn't on them signs?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Unit 7 is exempt from need to remove Permanent treestands (Sometimes, small treehouses) and barrels.
    That is because they ROT in six months time...In the interior they will last for generations.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    If you already registered it, or heck, if he even registered it first, then they should have told eather one of you who did it last, that Hey, there is a bait there.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    If you registered it, then wouldn't it be illeagle for him to bait on it cause his licence number isn't on them signs?
    On the Hope Road, you just leave your sign up, year around, It is a sweet deal.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Unit 7 is exempt from need to remove Permanent treestands (Sometimes, small treehouses) and barrels.
    I wasn't aware of that. I am not a bear baiter, so am not as up on all the regs related to it, so I probably just skipped over that line. Thanks for the clarification.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    If you already registered it, or heck, if he even registered it first, then they should have told eather one of you who did it last, that Hey, there is a bait there.
    I don't think they compare each registered site when they are registered to see if another is at the same location. That is up to each individual hunter to verify. They might enter the GPS coordinates that are required now and track them that way, but most likely that woudln't be done until a while after the person turned in the paperwork.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    If you already registered it, or heck, if he even registered it first, then they should have told eather one of you who did it last, that Hey, there is a bait there.
    Surely you can't be serious...Are You? lol Checks and Balances are not what the ADF&G are noted for!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I wasn't aware of that. I am not a bear baiter, so am not as up on all the regs related to it, so I probably just skipped over that line. Thanks for the clarification.
    I am a "Troll", so you can not believe anything I post.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I am a "Troll", so you can not believe anything I post.
    60+ years in the sticks will do that to ya Glad to see you're still lurking around...
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •