Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to catch black fish?

Default How to catch black fish?

Hey, I was wondering how you guys go about catching these little buggers, I never have caught one and it'd be cool to add to my pictures of different species....and I'm getting a little tired of fried trout, so some new flavor would be great....I was thinking of using a small dry fly (like a mosquito or something like that) on a bobber and se what happens. maybe a No 10 snell with a bit of night crawler?

Thanks! Have a good day!

Use a small hook with bait. Try Campbell point lake in anchorage. It is hard to fish there without catching one.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Since when are there blackfish in Campbell Point Lake? (Beer Can, Little Campbell)

I caught one out at Campbell Point Lake (beer can) 2 winters back. Pink shrimp through the ice, just off the bottom. Had no idea what it was when I caught it, another guy out there told me what it was. I released it but kind of wish I had kept it and tried it out, hear they are decent eating.

Any time I've ever caught one was off the bottom, and any bait will do. Just sit and wait.

I caught one with my hands at the tailrace one day.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Hm.... I might have to take a look again. Now, we are still talking about the fish that looks like the mutant offspring of a burbot and pike, right?

My son and I caught quite a few at beer can this last winter. All of them were tiny but there must be larger ones out there. They liked the single eggs we were dropping in hopes of char.

Are you speaking of sculpin , or is there some species of fish in this state I have never heard of or seen in 35 years ? By the description above it sounds like a sculpin which are common in about every water I have fished.

Thanks for the link, all news to me. Now I may have to target them and see if they slipped my memory, or eluded my hook all this time.

You can catch them on nearly any bait, as mentioned above. Just make sure you don't try catch them in spawning mode or all hail will break loose. ;-)

Lol ...............

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    You can catch them on nearly any bait, as mentioned above. Just make sure you don't try catch them in spawning mode or all hail will break loose. ;-)
    Oh gosh, thats all I can say.....

I caught black fish out of campbell point lake at least 4 or 5 years ago. They are in Campbell Taku too. I also pulled a nice 3# rainbow out of campbell taku while ice fishing, that was not a stocked spawner.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

I caught at least 10 of them every time I went ice fishing on DeLong lake. It got to the point where they were making us mad because we couldn't get to the rainbows. Caught them on a single egg.
    I have never herd of people catching them in the summer though, and I have never caught any in the summer. I have seen a lot of dead ones in the summer though in DeLong lake. I also have seen a couple in the summer cruising the shoreline in Jewel lake. They would not bite anything and seemed like they didn't really want to move. Maybe the water is too warm for them in the summer or something?

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    I caught at least 10 of them every time I went ice fishing on DeLong lake. It got to the point where they were making us mad because we couldn't get to the rainbows. Caught them on a single egg.
    I have never herd of people catching them in the summer though, and I have never caught any in the summer. I have seen a lot of dead ones in the summer though in DeLong lake. I also have seen a couple in the summer cruising the shoreline in Jewel lake. They would not bite anything and seemed like they didn't really want to move. Maybe the water is too warm for them in the summer or something?
    I have seen the same thing in Campbell Taku lake. In the summer you can see them in the shallows, but they won't bite anything.

very cool little fish, will survive for a while outside of water
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I have seen the same thing in Campbell Taku lake. In the summer you can see them in the shallows, but they won't bite anything.
    Maybe you should try a jig during the spawn!

but wait we can't harass these non-native species while they may be spawning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast