Thread: I Need Load Help and Advice On 180gr & 150gr E-Tip for 300WM

Default I Need Load Help and Advice On 180gr & 150gr E-Tip for 300WM

Hey, guys, I need some help with the 180gr and 150gr E-Tip for my 300Win Mag. I have five loads now for my 300Win Mag that include 165gr, 180gr, 200gr, 208gr and 220gr all different bullet makes. All of these bullet weights I have used to develop loads that shoot 1/2" or under (two loads are 1/4"). My Savage 116FHSS 300Win Mag likes a lot of different bullets and is a reall shooter, so I am going to try the E-Tip.

I want to finish my load work for the 300Win mag, so that I have a group of loads that makes my 300Win mag very versatile, when it comes to hunting specific game, and having a specific load for said game and circumstances - I want to include the 180gr and 150gr E-Tip by Nosler.

Now that said, I did not have much luck a few years ago with my 30-06 using the 150gr E-Tip. Of couse my 06 didn't really like a lot of different bullets and weights either. If you have any loads for either of these in a 300Win mag that performed well please help me out. Not only with the load chain, but also, with your final OAL.

Please don't tell me of your bad luck are how you think the E-Tip sucks, because I know it is a hard bullet to get right. All I want is some good advice from your good experiences that seemed to work out fairly well. Thank you, beartooth
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Label this under "for what it's worth." I've loaded and shot exactly two boxes of 180 E-tips for one rifle. It's my son-in-law's older Ruger M77, and I can't find where I noted LOA. But here's the interesting part. For lack of a better reference I started with 5% less than the rifle's preferred charge of IMR4350 using 180 Partitions, then worked up. Twenty bullets in all. It shot as well or better than the partitions with exactly the same charge, a couple of grains below book max (Nosler). I stopped right there and loaded up all the rest of the bullets for him, and he's been shooting them ever since. Doesn't prove a thing, other than his rifle doesn't appear to have any problems with E-tip at all.

I'd try it with your rifle's usual powder for 180's and see what it has to say.

Is his rifle a 300Win Mag? I am assuming it is?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Ooops. I didn't specify, but yeah it is. It's a lot like your Savage, in that it seems to like a very wide range of bullets, too.

What is Noslers max load for a 180gr so I will know what 5% below max is since I do not have a Nosler book? Also, what is their max for the 150gr bullet? Thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

This is the old #2 Manual (1981), but their max for IMR4350 and all their 180's is 70 grains. (WW cases and Rem 9 1/2M primers) I don't have the latest version handy for a cross reference. Subtract a couple of grains and you have the load his rifle is really proud of. My loads are also WW cases, but with the standard Fed caps.

Thanks, appreciate it
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS