Thread: Remote steering for HB/MudBuddy ....

Default Remote steering for HB/MudBuddy ....

The MudBuddy web site offers a remote steering option for the Mini HD Lites - $750. Seems to me that having remote steering in the center seat, off to the side, might make a great boat even more comfortable and functional for long hauls. I don't think the MB surface drive really require operating from the stern. What do you folks think?

Home away from Home..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post

Home away from Home..
    If I didn't think my canoe would get jealous, I'd frame this picture. wow.

Wow!!!!!!!! do you have any more pictures showing the details of the inside of your condo? How about some details of the constuction and design of it. Do you take it down when your running? Wow!!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

This picture was sent to my from Pat from Scott.. The canoe is in Canada..
    Looks pretty comfy from the pict..
    Max

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Ummm... what does a photo of a cool Canadian motor yacht have to do with Rick's question on remote steering for a mud buddy?

I guess I am missing an insider canoe forum joke.

Clearly, I'm suffering from canoe envy!! Is it a sin to covet your neighbor's canoe??

Pat sent me the picture of this canopy HB and I thought it might be an idea for a remote steering idea from inside the little cover.
    I should have specified ..
    If I were to do remote steering I would want the canopy.
    It would be no problem running the controls up the sides and making a little console and wheel setup just like a standard kenai river boat setup.
    Max

remote steering it will work at very slow speed with a roap [TROLING SPEED] but remenber that it has to be give an take both sides R & L if you only do pull on one side it won't stop [motor] from over steering what you need to do make sure the movement stops as well as turn, in the old times, the cables allowed it to move as well as stop , what I see is the ropes have to be hooked together an continious loop, so you pull on one side an stop on the other side this is only for slow troling speed as at fast speeds you won't be able to control it , have you tried a real long tiller handle as you can control the speed a little as well as steer , I would buy a long EXTEN. handle an put a added pice of lmetal pipe on it thatt should work better for you than the ropes, no tripping over an also when you load the canoe you won't have keep the load off the rope, just an Idea SID

My interest in the MudBuddy remote steering for a HudsonBay is not so I can create a gypsy caravan as in the picture above. I find that after several hours sitting canted to the left so I can manage the tiller, and looking over my right shoulder, I get cramped/uncomfortable. My run to my hunting area is 4-5 hours at traveling speed, and then 2-3 hours creeping up a log/brush filled obstacle course. The MB remote steering rig would allow me to face forward and not be anchored to the tiller. I think I could better see and plot my route at low speed through the obstacles. The MB rig includes throttle control, tach and the cable for the steering wheel. I would mount it on the right side at the center seat. The point is comfort (for this old fart) and utility on a skinny, challenging river. I'm not interested in gilding the lily.

Note: 7mmultramag posted pictures of his HB with a rudimentary console steering .....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...r-Canoes/page6

Looks to me like a sound idea.

Default underarm steering

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I find that after several hours sitting canted to the left so I can manage the tiller, and looking over my right shoulder, I get cramped/uncomfortable.
    Any position for a few hours makes me uncomfortable, but yes, me too in my Scott doing exactly what you say.

My answer is to look forward 100%, and tuck my tiller extension under my arm, against my body. Works well; I can still fine-tune the direction on calm and semi-calm water. In heavy seas, I never let go of the tiller (extension). My extension is Carbon Marine's longest (made from woven carbon fiber); pricey, but really nice; get'm online.

FamilyMan ... Been using a 50" articulated tiller extension for at least a decade, and the steering system you describe. Works well but it's a left handed only operation. I think a steering wheel amidship may be more comfortable, allowing either left hand or right hand operation, or 2 hand operation, and an advantage picking my way through the maze at low speed. 7mmultramag's little console on his boat set me to thinking.

I think that'd be nice too. Maybe with a light little foldup awning over it (that could handle 14 mph speed of boat travel) for when the ran falls on us vertically, instead of horizontally. I agree.

'Course if I had a console, I'd have to get one of gr8fl's Fish Predictonomers mounted in it. ;-)

This one is going in my James Bay. Fits over a 40 gal fuel tank and twin batteries. 1/4" plywood, fiberglass and gel-coat.

DSCF1336.jpg DSCF1337.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    This one is going in my James Bay. Fits over a 40 gal fuel tank and twin batteries. 1/4" plywood, fiberglass and gel-coat.
    Nice.

40 gallons? You must be planning some transatlantic cruises!

Centered, or set off to one side to ease walking past it?

Again, Nice.

Didn't want to carry a bunch of loose gas cans on long trips. Plan to center it in front of the middle bench seat putting the weight forward.

I have something far more minimalistic in mind. Again, similar to the one pictured in 7mmultramag's post.