Thread: JES Reboring - For those in the Know

Default JES Reboring - For those in the Know

I am going to call next week to talk to them about a possible project, but for those that have used there service, is it feasable to think they could take a new Weatherby Vanguard .300 Weatherby and rebore and chamber for .340 Weatherby?

I haven't dealt with them, but have had rebores done by several others. There will be a minimum of steel they're willing to leave behind, and it differs slightly from one rebore company to the next and one brand or age of rifle to the next. Only way to know for sure is to talk them directly. For example, I have an early 1886 with a ranked 38-56 bore. I have no doubts I can get it rebored to 45-70 or 45-90, but the steel is old enough that I have my doubts that they'd go to 50-70. Gotta call them to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Winchestershooter View Post
    I am going to call next week to talk to them about a possible project, but for those that have used there service, is it feasable to think they could take a new Weatherby Vanguard .300 Weatherby and rebore and chamber for .340 Weatherby?
    .308 to .338 should be no problem for Jesse unless you have a very slim tapered barrel. He took my .30/30 (.308) to .35-30/30 (.358). The question would be whether he has a .340 chamber reamer. He doesn't list it on his site.

He has done 2 rebores for me. The second one involved taking a standard diameter model 70 in 325 WSM out to 375 WSM! The first was a Ruger 77 from 30-06 to 338-06.

My suggestion would be to mike the end of your barrel so you can tell him what he's up against and then give him a call, 541-942-1342

Out of curiosity what does a rebore cost? My few semi custom rifles I've had done, were rebarrels. Is there an advantage to a rebore?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Out of curiosity what does a rebore cost? My few semi custom rifles I've had done, were rebarrels. Is there an advantage to a rebore?
    With Jesse it's $225 including the return shipping (to the lower 48). The advantage for me was getting a custom barrel on a model 94 would have been an expensive pain in the but. The rebore was an affordable piece of cake.