Thread: Camping on Placer River or 20 Mile?

Question Camping on Placer River or 20 Mile?

I've never been up the Placer River in the summer, are there any good places to camp that a newbie jet boater, his wife, and their three legged dog can get to this time of year?

Is 20 Mile a better choice?

Thank you

I've haven't made it up the placer yet, but there are a few spots up twenty mile that look really good for camping. I am planning on taking the wife, two kids, and a four legged dog up there and stay a few days for silvers

halibut you want run saturday.
    Donkey hunter nice name anyhow there are lots of places to camp on 20 mile.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

If your going this Saturday on Twenty mile, we will be there. Hubby went there today and had a blast!

I'll be there somewhere tomorrow, I don't know the river so I'll probably stop at the first decent camp sight. If you see a three legged "black lab" you'll know its us. Stop by and say hello. We are planning on staying through Sunday morning.

Will do! We'll be there sometime after 11:30pm and will be doing a BBQ somewhere on the river. You'll know it's us if you see a wild hyper Springer Spaniel.... =D

Did you ever make it down?

We ended up camping somewhere on the road to Whittier Friday night and not getting on the water until late Saturday afternoon. People gotta stop leaving their cars parked on the boat launch! Because of those dorks we went back over to the Placer launch but the tide was so far out we couldn't launch. By the time we got back to the 20 Mile launch the Troopers had made everyone move so we snaked our way down the bank and launched our boats. Not a minute up river my buddies boat started fouling one plug. We dorked around with that for a while and headed up river. What a blast! The first couple miles were nice and easy so I could get a good handle on the new boat. The next few miles were a lot of fun! We made it all the way to the log jam on the Glacier River, and 3.5 miles up 20 Mile past the intersection of the two rivers. Had to cut down some sweepers, hit a few stumps and rocks, and got stuck a few times. We found a nice place to camp, made a fire, roasted some shrimp, had a few beers, and watched the sun set over the mountains. We had an absolute blast. I can't wait to go back when the water is a little higher so we can jump over that log jam and keep going up!

Some pictures from the weekend.

Launched on the river around 10:30am on Saturday and stayed about a couple of hours. Took the same route you did - Glacier River and the same on the twenty mile. Didn't have the pile up of cars you did - but we certainly felt we stoled the show with everyone watching our every move from the parking lot! Was looking for the three legged retriever, but of course it sounds like you went later. There's only one thing I would change - I refuse to ever let my black & white springer on board the boat. Once we parked for a break, the d*mn dog took off, crossed the river both ways lickety split, and disappeared. Visions of bear bait dancing in my head, 15 minutes later she reappears still going 90 miles a hour.... d*mn dog....

More pics....

Great pictures and nice boat!

Is the launch always that bad? What a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hunter View Post
    Great pictures and nice boat!

Is the launch always that bad? What a PITA.
    Thanks! Wouldn't know about the launching, as this is our first river boat we've ever had. It was my first time on the river, and hubby probably around 3-4(?) I think. I can only imagine the parking will be a nightmare with the Hooligan run in full swing shortly...