Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: RV house batteries need changing

  1. #1
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default RV house batteries need changing

    I need to replace the house batteries in my motorhome, they're fairly old and just not holding much of a charge anymore.

    Currently, it has 2, 6-volt batteries wired in series...but I'm wondering (assuming, dare I say) that it might be better to go with 2, 12-volt deep cycle batteries wired parallel. I'm not worried about the weight of 1 versus 2 batteries, so will this give me more (longer) juice when unplugged? Is there a downside to going this route?

  2. #2

    Default

    Short Answer..Yes...
    Stick with the two 6 Volt Battery set-up. Way too much to discuss about it in a forum post. Books have been written on it! Go with Golf Cart Deep Cycle Batteries for Replacement...Sam's Club has the best battery for the best price. Don't be tempted to buy a Marine Deep Cycle...not in the same class.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    +1 what Akres said, I will just add to make sure to check your onboard charging system. Mine recently when out and it took me a while to figure it out.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  4. #4
    Member J2theD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    300

    Default

    If you only have space for 2 batteries, then nothing beats the 6-Volt set up you have. There is no way to get close to as much power using 2 12 volts.

    The 6 Volters, or Golf Carts (GC), are the same exact dimensions as a group 24 12 volt battery (standard 12 volt), except the GC's are about 2 inches higher. Most of the time, height is not an issue (especially if under steps), but length and width are.

    The two GC's will give you around 450 min res @ a 25 amp draw, meaning if you are pulling 25 amps (which is a lot), they will last 450 min before needing to be recharged.

    The two Group 24 12 volt deep cycle batteries will give you about 250-300 min reserve.

    Sure the GC's cost more, but **** near double the power and not having to charge your batteries as much is well worth it.

  5. #5
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Ditto on what everyone said with 6 volt in series. I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. I had Alaska Golds but they were 160 a peice at Batteries Specialist. I bought two batteries at Costco for 160 bucks. Best price I could find. If I get 3-4 years out of them, I'm money ahead IMO.

  6. #6

    Default

    Sorry if this makes me seem dense. Why exactly are 2 6-volts better than 2-12 volts?

  7. #7
    Member doug1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceed View Post
    Sorry if this makes me seem dense. Why exactly are 2 6-volts better than 2-12 volts?
    There is way more storage capacity in 2-6 volt batteries than 2-12 volt ones. You will be able to run your lights etc much longer on 6 volt batteries. Sadly I don't have room for 2 batteries so I am stuck using a single 12 volt one. Dosen't take long to drain it.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

  8. #8
    Member Grayling Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Instead of 12 small, 2.15v cells you get 6 large 2.15 v cells in the 6 volt battery. The larger plates and cells in the 6 volt battery equal more capacity and an all around better setup.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •