Thread: Vibrating case cleaner vs Tumbler

Default Vibrating case cleaner vs Tumbler

I had a regular rotating tumbler which has now gone to tumbler heaven....

I have never had a vibrating type...

For those who have had both, what are the pros and cons...

xx
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have both and they both work well. I prefer the Dillon 500 it vibrates and is pretty fast they make a larger one too.My rotating tumbler is a huge one and if there is any advantage with it it's the sheer quantity of rifle cases it will do at one time it is however harder to unload and makes a bigger mess if you aren't real careful. If I ever decide to replace it it would be with the larger Dillon.Hope this helps good shooting Ronnie

I have a vibratory made by hornaday, it does a good job, I can't compaer to a tumbler as I have never used one, but I have a friend who bought a lee, or lyman vibratory...I can't recall, but it is so loud you can't use it in the house, it needs to be in its own building, mine is very quiet.

Default lyman

I got a yellow lyman vibrating polisher/cleaner and have abused it for 10 years.

I fill it up and turn it on friday afternoon (in the garage)sometimes and forget it till I am on my way to work and hear it on monday morning.

Yeah, that was some real shiny brass.

Done this about 50 times at least and it is running strong as ever.

Everytime I did this with the previous 3 green RCBS vibrating cleaners I had, they died.

Never tried the rotating tumblers after seeing a buddies "thumblers tumblers" I think they were called.....too messy. It was water based.

I am always afraid to chem clean since you may need to neutralize the chems after to avoid corrosion or weakening of the brass and reactions with powder/primer.

jedi

I have a midway large vibrating tumbler, This tumbler I can put 500 rounds in at one time and works great. I clean for about 4 hours and then resize and then polish about 4 hours.

The rotating tumbler also works great, It is a old rock tumbler and cleans and polishes brass just as well as the vibrating tumbler. The only thing with it, it takes 3 times as long. But it is alot quieter than the vibrating. Media last longer in the tumbler over the vibrator. Big thing to remember is use media to clean with and different media to polish with. This makes media last much longer.

I would probably go with the viberator if I had to decide on one or the other. I would also do the large vibrator, if you have large quanity of brass to tumble.

Default tip

My Thumlers virating tumbler works great. One tip I have though is don't tumble .45acp and 9mm together as the 9's like to slip inside the .45 cases and get lodged by corn cob media!! It's a pain pulling them apart!
    All in all I think they are superior to rock tumbler types...

reuben....

Sounds like Jedi Rifleman has had good luck with the Lyman vibrating model.
    I will put one on my list for the next trip up to Los Anchorage.

My old tumbler type was home made and I was using walnut shells.
    They really did not work all that great.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have a vibrating Lyman 2500. The few times I have used the case cleaner it has worked good, really noisy though. But it does help drown out the sound of my wife talking. That was a joke by the way.

Default continued quality

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Sounds like Jedi Rifleman has had good luck with the Lyman vibrating model.
    I will put one on my list for the next trip up to Los Anchorage.

My old tumbler type was home made and I was using walnut shells.
    They really did not work all that great.
    I hope they got the same quality or better as they had 10 years ago.

It's the lyman 2200 turbo model that I have.

They got bigger and smaller models too.

(for best results -media is cheap-change it often)

Now days most stuff like that (electric) is done by vendors for the larger companies.

jedi